kevpeo

And finally comes 37 406, which I need to strip right down to determine whether I stuffed up and fitted the wrong speaker!

I had!!!! A new 4ohm one to be procured from DC Kits or Digitrains at the L&Ydcc show in Manchester where we are exhibiting Coppell. Meanwhile 37 410 is now back running ''on all six traction motors'' again. Kev.

• Like 1

Hi Kev,

Glad to hear 410 is fixed. I had the same problem with 406 and ended up gluing the flywheel on, its run fine since and not had that problem on anything else, I seem to remember having to wipe off a lot if grease first too.

Need to see your layout again and listen to all these uprated engines. It needs to come to a Scottish show at some point!

All the best

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Kev,

I've not been on here for a while but decided to catch up with your thread and came to wonder if 37188 (Jimmy Shand) was around your era and if it would make an appearance?

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark, 37 188 would indeed fit the bill! It was transferred to Motherwell in late 85 but came back to Eastfield in early 86, and even had it's boiler re-instated for the summer? Well it was Scotland!

Mind you, I would also like '425 and my nemesis '409 (It was on the 'beds' every time I set foot on the West Highland practically!) So many tractors, so little money.

To be honest, the only justification for adding another 37 to the fleet would be if I manage to get a different set of recordings and build another sound project that needs a home! If anyone is attending Wigan show next weekend and has a sound-fitted model of 37 188 to lend me, a photo opportunity could beckon. Kev

Guess where I was yesterday -

post-8271-0-95840200-1401522075_thumb.jpg

Ah, the best laid plans of mice and cranks!  After procrastinating for several years, I finally booked the driver experience course at Haverthwaite with 27 024, only to get a apologetic e-mail a couple of weeks later saying that it's owners want it back before then!!!!  So being cheeky, I asked if it would be possible to put it on one of the quieter trains before it departs, to give me a chance to record it.

Thus I gratefully found myself in the rear cab for the 17.20 departure with my Tascam and a 'dead cat on a stick'!  So I now have one hour and twenty minutes of 024 sounds to work with, mostly idling admittedly, but when it wasn't, heaven!

Many thanks to the friendly staff at the Lakeside Railway for allowing me to get in the way, and my apologies for accidentally setting off the shed alarms after we had put the 27 to bed. Doh!

PS, we are still going in November, but now it's on 20 214! Kev.

• Like 3

Look what I found -

Posted by BlackAndDeckerBoy on YouTube. Unfortunately he missed the sleeper set! I love the sub title - ''music by English Electric''. Pure class. Shame we spoilt it with a baby sulzer!

Don't forget, Wigan Show this weekend. 70's Sat, 80's Sunday, and yes there will be a kettle! Kev.

• Like 4

No nothing  :stinker:

This video on you tube is realy a good video on your fantastic layout ! 

The orther in your website are realy good also.

It's possible to you to publish pictures on the forest part of the layout before the level crossing ? 

Edited by Module00

Hi Kev,

That is a great bit of video from black and decker boy. 37412 does sound superb its just a bit different. I've just thought your 80's fleet would be quite at home on Newlands when it's built!

Have a good time at Wigan.

All the best

Mark

Well what a cracking weekend! Many thanks to Eaton and all the Wigan show team for a superb show. More quality D&E layouts than you could ''shake a stick at", and to top it off, we managed to see and hear 40 145 power out of Manchester Victoria and up the bank on Sat night!

I'll apologize now to the other D&E layouts for my lack of attention to them, as Mostyn just kept dragging me back on my 'time off'. It ran faultlessly every time I viewed it, and that has never happened before!

Loch Dour had no faults, other than Ian smashing a station lamp during set-up, which I managed to stick back together, only for one of the bulbs to blow in it on Saturday morning!

The less said about the quality of our operating on Sunday the better! One of my team did succumb to Charlie Petty's sales pitch on Sunday, and bought a sound fitted 27 ,which will get the body from my dummy loco 27 006, and enter traffic in the seventies era. The remaining bits may well re-enter traffic in the 80's era, as the 37's may have a better chance of dragging it up the hill!!! Kev.

• Like 3

Thanks Module. There are some photo's on the Wigan show thread in the exhibitions forum, and a video of the show often appears on you-tube afterwards. We did have one gentleman filming for what seemed like hours on Saturday afternoon! Kev.

Luckily Saturday was the good operating day Ian! Our Ian's (he of the broken platform light fame) thumbs seemed to grow overnight and he kept hitting the ''kill switch'' on Touchcab and stopping the job. Jens the developer has informed me today that there is a 'disable' setting that we hadn't spotted! You live and learn. Kev

• RMweb Gold

Luckily Saturday was the good operating day Ian! Our Ian's (he of the broken platform light fame) thumbs seemed to grow overnight and he kept hitting the ''kill switch'' on Touchcab and stopping the job. Jens the developer has informed me today that there is a 'disable' setting that we hadn't spotted! You live and learn. Kev

I presume it was the previous evenings excitement at seeing the special at Manchester Victoria and the following visits to a few watering holes!

37412 sounds realy nice!! what chip you using??

cheers neil..

37 412 is a bit of a mongrol neil! It started off life as a Tony Molyneax ESU v3.5 program, which I could never get to ''perform'' on Loch Dour. After converting it to a v4 and adding some of my more agressive 'thrash' recordings it fits in nicely! Kev.

I presume it was the previous evenings excitement at seeing the special at Manchester Victoria and the following visits to a few watering holes!

You may not believe this Ian, but Ian2 only had two pints on Sat night. And was last seen in 'spoons' in Wigan drinking tea!

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

37 412 is a bit of a mongrol neil! It started off life as a Tony Molyneax ESU v3.5 program, which I could never get to ''perform'' on Loch Dour. After converting it to a v4 and adding some of my more agressive 'thrash' recordings it fits in nicely! Kev.

You may not believe this Ian, but Ian2 only had two pints on Sat night. And was last seen in 'spoons' in Wigan drinking tea!

Kev.

He must have been feeling very unwell!!

Mind you, I havent had a beer since last Saturday. First pint tonight hopefully.

Ian

Having got Loch Dour set back up in the loft, the 80's fleet came out to play, the 70's fleet having been running since Liverpool show. This allows for some cv 'tweaking' on some of the newer installed decoders. I'd decided that the 'flange squeal' on 37 033, a Bif 37/0 project, was too loud, so I popped it on the Lokprogrammer to turn it down. This is done using the 'sound slot settings' menu. On opening said menu, the first slot popped up, number one of course!  Now I wanted slot nine, but before switching over, I noticed that 'slot one' wasn't set to 100%.  What is slot one you ask. After looking, this turned out to be the prime user sounds, or 'the engine' to most of us!  So even though the master volume, cv63, was set to the max of 192, I'd found some more volume. Only 18%, but not to be sniffed at!

On checking 37 422 which has Bif's other 37/4 program, it was the same! On further investigation my 37 406 program was also set low in sound slot one, so with the 8 ohm speaker as well, no wonder it was quiet!  If you want to try this without a programmer, SWD give instructions on their website -

http://www.southwestdigital.co.uk/PDF/SWD%20LSV4%20Volume%20info%20sheet.pdf

I would suggest turning down the horns to avoid 'clipping' as explained. Usually slot 23 and 24 on Bif's projects. HTH. Kev.

That's an absolutely superb video Kevin. Certainly a great sound track. Really must make the effort to see your layout in the flesh. A very impressive fleet of 37's and some stunning scenery for them to run through. Got to be one of the most atmospheric Scottish layouts there is.

By the way you can always justify another Class 37. LOL.

Cheers

Marcus