kevpeo

I have had a play with the F8 button quite a few times Paul!  The only trouble with function button driving is teaching my fellow operators how to use them at shows. They sometimes have trouble with the auto transitions!  I look forward to you releasing a new generation class  27 project, I have the current Digitrains/Coastal one. Would it have the same recordings? Kev.

Hi Kev.

Yeah. Maybe we should issue driving licences to 'Passed' operators. Lol.

I will be releasing sound projects for all the baby Sulzers, 24 - 27 in the next few weeks. All will use fresh recordings from different locos than the current Digitrains projects.

PM me with your email address and I'll send you my 'occassional' newsletter. These detail the new control features and will announce the new projects as they are released.

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 1

Would like to hear more about your next generation sound projects Paul please !

Sorry Kev !

Bill.

Bill,

They will be right up your street!

As I reponded to Kev, PM me with your email address and I'll send you my 'occassional' newsletter. These detail the new control features and will announce the new projects as they are released.

Kind regards,

Paul

Look what I found -

post-8271-0-51065000-1426414499_thumb.jpg

A while ago Pete Harvey sent me some 37 detail etches to try out.  I was a little nervous of trying them on a Bachmann 37, if I did one I may want to do them all!!!  But as the TTS one is going to be slightly different anyway, and for that reason not to be used coupled to a Bachmann one, I have myself a 'guinea-pig'!

In other news I put the SWD cv5&6 settings back onto 403 and increased the cv3&4 ones to max to try and compensate a little, and it is improved.  So it was partially self-inflicted.  Still nowhere near Bif’s controllability mind! Kev.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have to say the 'yellow peril' (as OzzyO has christened it!) has surprised me. The recordings are good, let down by the poor speaker installation. First runs found it to be a little strange to drive as it would not drop back to idle until really low speedsteps. On perusing the supplied 'manual', I cannot find any more details on line anywhere, I had a play with the 'threshold' cv's. These decide when the program 'notches up' or notches down again.  After some fiddling I got it somewhere near, or at least usable, on Loch Dour.  The main missing setting is the inability to set the max speed, normally cv5 in a Loksound or Lenz.  This means it is still a little 'swift', but as long as I don’t take it above speed step 14(of 28) it is fine, and runs well in multi with 26 010. The biggest surprise was sticking it on three Mk1's and it romping up the hill!   It also seems to run smoother at low speeds with a train on.

If you want to give the settings a try here they are -

cv        original             changes

3              15                     50

4              15                     70

10            128                   80

210           5                      15

211           5                      15

212          30                     40

213           5                      10

214          60                     80

215           5                      10

In other news, 37 403's new SWD v4 is no more controllable than the Bachmann original!  Disappointing, but it does have more 'features'.  And 20 119 is now running with its new program on a v4.  Kev.

I have just bought one of the Hornby tts 37 i have carried out the speaker upgrade to a 8ohm bass reflex and adjusted the cv to the same as yours for a budget sound loco I am happy to have it running on my layout it has also been weathered and re numbered plus I got some detail to fit

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

With the 'sparkie' out of the way, work resumes on the TTS 37.  First up, the headlight was removed. This had been added to all my previous Lima 37's! -

post-8271-0-73242400-1429344624_thumb.jpg

The moulded roof fan and windscreens have also been filed out/deepened ready for the PH etched frames, but as you can see the centre one had to be narrowed too.

Next the nose side grill detail, from a refurbished 37, was filed off ready for Shawplan replacements while the steam heat boiler and body side access door were re-instated. -

post-8271-0-45558600-1429344637_thumb.jpg

At the other end the moulded grills were partially filled, ready for the correct smaller grills, as well as an original fire extinguisher pull from round tube. –

post-8271-0-93813700-1429344649_thumb.jpg

And a selection of etched ‘goodies’ waiting to be fitted! -

post-8271-0-32026100-1429344663_thumb.jpg

Now time for some filler. Kev.

• Like 5

Hi Kev,

That's going to look good with all those parts fitted. I see the nameplates in that last shot and recall seeing a photo of the loco at Rannoch with steam leaking out on a cold day when I was looking for details for my model.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if you are all getting bored with the 'yellow peril', but I need to get 'a wiggle on' if it is going to be finished for Showcase!

post-8271-0-41097200-1430249791_thumb.jpg

As you can see, the roof fan grill has gone on, as have the nose grills on this side, both by Shawplan. On the nose a car style headlight has been added, along with the clips for the headcode panel cover and two handrails. The more eagle eyed will also have noticed the loco has gained extra straps on the cantrail grills too. Now for the other side. Kev.

• Like 6

Hi Kev,

That is going to look good at showcase. Glad you've gone the extra mile on the cantrail grills as I thought your chosen loco had them plus you don't see many 37/0's modelled with the spilt grills.

Look forward to seeing you in Burton.

All the best

Mark

• Like 1

Primed and ready to go.

post-8271-0-66597600-1430647029_thumb.jpg

A small amount of extra filler was required below the small grills, but other than that ready for painting.  Although I did decide to abandon the marker lights, as the lenses were well and truly glued in!  The chassis has acquired snow ploughs and the first coat of yellow has already been applied to the cabs/ends.  Kev.

• Like 7

Cheers Marcus. I've really enjoyed a bit of 'old skool' Lima bashing!  After Mark pointed it out, I think this is also the first example with the extra cantrail strapping on the layout too. Kev.

Well that didn't take long! If you want to give it a go here is how I did it -

attachicon.gifTTS37-2.JPG

First remove the screws from the 8-pin socket and the speaker housing/weight, which can then be 'wiggled' free of the chassis. The decoder can be unplugged and placed to one side for now. This leaves a nice big space for a 58mm x 22mm 8 ohm bass-ported speaker -

attachicon.gifTTS37-3.JPG

The two screw mounts and the four end triangle supports were cut out with a set of snips, and the remnants cleaned up with a wood chisel! The plastic infilled 'gap' between the tanks was cut out to add a little relief to this area, and lots of holes drilled to let the sound out -

attachicon.gifTTS37-4.JPG

attachicon.gifTTS37-5.JPG

The speaker was then fitted using 'sticky pads' facing down and the speaker wires soldered to a pair of copper clad 'pads'. The 8-pin socket can now be re-attached -

attachicon.gifTTS37-6.JPG

The original speaker was then removed and the wires from the decoder soldered to the two 'pads' and the decoder plugged in to connect it all up again. The speaker housing/weight can be stuck on top of the speaker with more' sticky pads' to add the weight back again, but I chose to use a block of lead to add more weight, which is badly needed. -

attachicon.gifTTS37-7.JPG

The result. Much better quality sounds, and more volume. And I haven't turned it up yet! Now to start playing with the cv's to 'tune it' more to my liking. Kev.

A very useful posting for people like myself who are just starting out on the DCC sound road!!! Could you tell me where you got your new speaker from?

Thanks in advance 

Andy

Glad it helps Andy. I like to think that's the best bit of RMweb, sharing ideas and tips! I mainly get my speakers from DC Kits these days, but DCC Supplies, Digi-trains and Coastal DCC also stock wide ranges of speakers. Kev.

This is getting silly now!

post-8271-0-45390800-1431245037_thumb.jpg

I haven't touched a Lima 37 for years and then get to do two together!  As 37 191 crawls through the painting stage (I hope to get the first coat of blue on later) I thought I'd make a start on this for the club chairman Russ. To become 37 999 (do you see what he did there!) I've completely re-wired it and installed a bass-reflex speaker in the tanks ready for a v3.5 decoder. You may also have spotted the 'blues' mounted (incorrectly, as they were on the roof in the advert) on the noses. The plan is to have the program set up so when you turn on the lights with F0, the leading light will flash and seventies style 'nee-naws' will sound!

It's not for Loch Dour use though!  Kev.

• Like 2