Heljan 128

beast66606

• RMweb Gold

Finally found time to convert mine to P4 today, using some Branchlines 'Black Beetle' coach wheels - happy to say it runs a treat. More info on this on the blog posting here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/21/entry-11952-converting-the-Heljan-class-128-single-parcels-unit-to-p4/

Edit - blog link added

Nice! Is it being produced exclusively for Hattons or on general release? Any idea when it will be available?

Details of liveries on the Hatton's page at http://www.ehattons.com/stocklist/1000399/1000588/1000673/1000818/Heljan_OO_Gauge_1_76th_DMUs_United_Kingdom/sceneprodlist.aspx

No details of release date but they are on general release as Rails of Sheffield are also listing them.

See the very start of this video at Birmingham New Street in 1987 for the Class 128 Model Rail are doing as a limited edition:

(Also, go to 12:40 to see a 3 car DMU still in all over blue in 1987)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I had an email from Hattons yesterday, advising that Heljan have indicated an expected delivery of the BR Midland Region version I have on pre-order (Green w  whiskers) to be during February or March this year. This was not expected, Heljan seem to be ramping up production of outstanding items (AC Railcar, Baby Deltic original etc)

• RMweb Gold

In February's issue No.192 of Model Rail: 

There is a very tasty shot of the Model Rail exclusive Heljan Class 128 Diesel Parcel Unit number 55993 in Red Star parcels livery...

...and according to the write up it will be arriving shortly.  

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

From Heljan's Facebook page (https://en-gb.facebook.com/heljanas):

"NEW PRODUCTS ARRIVED

We are pleased to announce the following new products which have just been received into our warehouse and are ready for despatch!

Gloucester/BR class 128 Diesel Parcel Units
New versions of the original Western Region variety (headcode boxes removed and replaced with 'flush' marker lights) including the Royal Mail red livery which is bound to be very popular.... Also received are the first models of the new Midland version which is without gangway doors and features 4-character headcodes."

The rivets do look a bit odd.......but what hideous looking things anyway once shorn of their gangways....the face of M55993 is reminiscent of a "Cyberman" to my eyes. :stinker:

I have one of the original split box batch in green with speed whiskers and it is quite pretty, the need for one of the blue or RM versions for contrast is starting to overwhelm me.

The rivets do look a bit odd.......but what hideous looking things anyway once shorn of their gangways....the face of M55993 is reminiscent of a "Cyberman" to my eyes. :stinker:

I have one of the original split box batch in green with speed whiskers and it is quite pretty, the need for one of the blue or RM versions for contrast is starting to overwhelm me.

I think they're quite pretty, but then I'm someone who finds more beauty in a scrapyard than Kew gardens. I've an RM red one on order - it'll run alongside 47522 Doncaster Enterprise and red TPOs behind it.

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear oh dear oh dear Heljan. The bottom four on that page have the unit's numbers printed with the wrong font. They're all in Myriad. The green ones should be in Gill Sans, and the blue ones in Rail Alphabet. Big fail. :nono:

Not for the first time - it was the same with the WR versions.

Not difficult to get right, I'd have thought.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Not for the first time - it was the same with the WR versions.

Not difficult to get right, I'd have thought.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Indeed, I spotted it on the first versions. To make the mistake the first time around is regrettable, but to make it a 2nd time around - after it had been flagged - is unforgivable, I'm afraid. Perhaps nobody from Heljan or Howes reads this thread.

RWJ

It may be to do with availability of fonts. I found it took a bit of chasing around to get Gill Sans for my Mac (although it wasn't unduly difficult) but I'm not sure Rail Alphabet would be available - I think Brian Haresnape recommended Helvetica as an alternative when we did the Corporate Image signs in Model Railway Constructor WAY back. Also, it may well be that these bodies were printed long before the font disparity was pointed out here or anywhere else. 

CHRIS LEIGH

Archived