Heljan 128

beast66606

I bow to your superior knowledge - but it doesn't change the fact that the genuine Rail Alphabet, which is better than "very similar" to the one used by British Rail, is only a Google search away from Heljan.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Oh indeed. Heck, at that small size, they could've got away with using Helvetica. I bet that's installed on the designers' computers as well!

• RMweb Premium

The font issue came up before in respect of the green versions and this was posted by dibber25 at the time. Makes sense but equally means Heljan has known about the problem for ages but still hasn't managed, or maybe been bothered, to fix it.

Apparently font issues on this and other Heljan models have been due to 'translation' (I can't think of the proper term for it) between the computers in England/Denmark and those in China. I know, when we did the the livery diagrams back in the early days of Model Rail, the lettering would often change to a default font between us and the repro house, so the proofs would come out all wrong. You could then correct it on the proofs, only to find that it had changed again between repro house and printing plate! Gill Sans seems to be particularly badly afflicted by this.

CHRIS LEIGH

The font issue came up before in respect of the green versions and this was posted by dibber25 at the time. Makes sense but equally means Heljan has known about the problem for ages but still hasn't managed, or maybe been bothered, to fix it.

I'm sorry Heljan, but that excuse doesn't wash. If there's a font issue with exported graphics, you instead render it as a vector (like AI or EPS) and send that instead. Simple. If their graphics people can't do that, then they need to be sacked I'm afraid. It really is a part of any graphic designer's basic knowledge.

Richard

• RMweb Premium

Recently Oxford Diecast had a problem with one of their recent releases. Their model of the Leyland Limousine Fire Pump arrived in the UK with a left hand drive dashboard. When they were informed of this by customers their reaction was to set in motion an immediate correction of the fault and an offer of a replacement of the offending part. Would it not be possible for Heljan to do something similar, perhaps providing transfers in the correct font?

Just a question for those interested in DCC sound, has anybody put a sound chip in there 128 yet, and if so which sounds have you used......bearing in mind there are no 128 around, has someone used a 121 sound file in it's place ?

Thanks in advance

Craig.

Just a question for those interested in DCC sound, has anybody put a sound chip in there 128 yet, and if so which sounds have you used......bearing in mind there are no 128 around, has someone used a 121 sound file in it's place ?

Thanks in advance

Craig.

Yes, it's been done. Videos on YouTube. The details of how it was done is somewhere in this thread.

Thanks in advance

Craig.

Howes' sound (unsurprisingly currently out of stock) based around their Class 108: http://howesmodels.co.uk/product/Gloucester%20class%20128%20diesel%20parcels%20unit%20(21)

Legomanbiffo also does a sound decoder, based around his Leyland engine recordings:

http://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/shop/dcc_digital_loco_sounds/diesel_electric_digital_loco_sounds_includes_the_all_new_xl_v4_decoder_/class_128_diesel_parcels_unit_dpu_legomanbiffo_.php

I saw this You Tube video last night, is this your layout ? very nice if it is, and very nice if it isn't anyway !!!

Pheaton,

Thanks for posting those detailed photos!

- Rivets are moulded onto the marker light panel but not the corridor connector replacement panel.

- Number of rivets vertically is wrong on the marker light panel (see post 492).

- The prominent creases that run vertically to the left and right of where the corridor connector used to be appear to be missing. This could just be the angle that your photo is shot from? Having just taken the corridor connector off my gangwayed WR I can confirm they exist on that version of the moulding albeit not as pronounced as the prototype photo suggests.

I still think the rivets look too big on the marker light panel. I'll draw up an etched version of this panel when I have a chance.

Guy

Re the Parcels red version - I'm eagerly awaiting mine (on back-order). I recall chasing 55992 from Leamington Spa to Reading, when it was on delivery from works and it made a striking sight in those days when we all thought blue/grey was boring! I'll dig out a snap...

post-5956-0-84250300-1393199153.jpg

Re the Parcels red version - I'm eagerly awaiting mine (on back-order). I recall chasing 55992 from Leamington Spa to Reading, when it was on delivery from works and it made a striking sight in those days when we all thought blue/grey was boring! I'll dig out a snap...

I wonder if Heljan are going to produce the remaining variant which is gangwayed with marker lights ie the new flush front release but with gangways.

I think it's only good though for blue full yellow panel and Royal Mail red.

Chris

Wasn't there another variant - 59994 which had the split headcode boxes (marker lights in the inner character positions), no gangway. I've seen pictures of it in the Red Star or Post Office Red liveries.

Or a photo is appearing of another one, split headcode boxes (marker lights in the outer character positions) and gangway in BR all-over Blue

See post 38 in

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/14804-building-a-00-gauge-gloucester-class-128/page-2

and ....

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/62995345

http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/class128,dmu/Interesting

I picked up one of the Post Office Red models on Friday at Model Rail Scotland and I'm very impressed with it, its an absolutely cracking model!

It may be to do with availability of fonts. I found it took a bit of chasing around to get Gill Sans for my Mac (although it wasn't unduly difficult) but I'm not sure Rail Alphabet would be available - I think Brian Haresnape recommended Helvetica as an alternative when we did the Corporate Image signs in Model Railway Constructor WAY back. Also, it may well be that these bodies were printed long before the font disparity was pointed out here or anywhere else. 

CHRIS LEIGH

I've been looking loser at my RM red one, and it's quite obvious that Heljan DO have Rail Alphabet. The C1 on the cab front is printed using it, so there's no excuse not to use it on the other models that require it. Except of course the problem of apathy and mediocrity.

RWJ

Archived