Dapol Class 21/29

spackz

I got an e-mail from those nice people in Liverpool this morning which may be of some interest.

"We thought you may like to know that an item you have asked us to notify when it arrives into stock, has had some information about its release date added or updated.
Dapol 4D-014-003 Class 29 diesel locomotive D6123 in BR green with small yellow warning panel £104.00
Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us between July 2016 & September 2016

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed. This information is to be used as a guide only."

So there you have it, or not....

Cheers,

David

Cheers David,

Seems to tie in with Dapols own prediction, but the release is still very confused. The Dapol website states that the Class 29 and Class 21 will be released together suggests that we still have at least another 4 product codes to be announced for the Class 21, where are these? Only one CAD has been shown that of the Class 21 but nothing involving a Class 29, no update was given at the open day or the review. The only hint we have of the project still being in progress is from a 3rd party manufacturer (Revolution) due to their n gauge announcement. In regards to this project we are definately the mushrooms.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder that Revolution Trains are taking expressions of interest for N Gauge models

https://www.revolutiontrains.com/class-2129/

From 1958-60 the North British Locomotive Co. built 58 type 2 Bo-Bo diesels, later given the TOPS code Class 21. The first 38 went to the Eastern region; the remainder to Scotland. Soon all were transferred north of the border.  Due to reliability problems 20 locomotives were re-engined in the mid 1960s and designated Class 29. This improved their performance but all were withdrawn by 1972.

Those locomotives converted to Class 29 received a new Paxman engine and a two-tone green livery. A 4-character headcode box was also fitted to all except D6123. Our models will feature appropriate detailing and lights.

Class 21:

When introduced all locomotives were in plain green, with disc indicators and nose connector doors.  From the early 1960s half-yellow warning panels were added.  Our model depicts the first 38 with cabside droplights and no tablet catchers.

Class 29:

The 20 locomotives converted to Class 29 emerged from works in two-tone green. All except one were fitted with 4-character centre  headcode boxes.  They were also given a revised yellow warning panel and, later, full yellow ends. A handful were painted blue; with the BR totem on the cabside or the doors.

6129-Eastfield.jpg

6129 Eastfield. Photo courtesy Graham Wareham

Models to be produced by Dapol.  Guide Price:  £110, £205 with DCC Sound.

The Class 21/9 locomotives are an attractive choice, and with the Farish Class 24 & 25, Dapol Class 26 & 27 and the forthcoming DJM Class 17 “Clayton” will complete the roster for numerous N Gauge Scottish layouts. For a short-lived class they had a surprising number of liveries, and we are hoping to design the tooling so that certain idiosyncracies of particular individual locomotives can be depicted.

21-29-route-map-1-804x1024.jpg

We have decided to work with Dapol on this project as they have already produced the very well regarded North British Class 22 locomotive. Although these locomotives were shorter and had different engines and bogies the cab ends were virtually identical, so we are confident they will be able to capture the character of these locomotives well and incorporate distinctive features such as the spoked wheels.

If you’d like to see this model produced please declare your interest here. No money will be taken. We need 1200 orders to proceed, so please don’t delay!

Nice map but the Birmingham to Glasgow Condor was never worked by the Metrovicks, they were confined to the Hendon to Glasgow Gushetfaulds Condor.

Has there been any documentary evidence of the D6100s working the Glasgow to Birmingham service - I have to admit I am sceptical.

Nice map but the Birmingham to Glasgow Condor was never worked by the Metrovicks, they were confined to the Hendon to Glasgow Gushetfaulds Condor.

Has there been any documentary evidence of the D6100s working the Glasgow to Birmingham service - I have to admit I am sceptical.

from BR Database, the following was recorded as workings for D6123:

13/08/1963      Sightings   Worked the Aston - Gushetfaulds "Condor" throughout from Birmingham to Glasgow   

3/08/1963              Sightings   Worked the Gushetfaulds - Aston "Condor" throughout to Birmingham   

21/08/1963      Sightings   Worked the Aston - Gushetfaulds "Condor" throughout from Birmingham to Glasgow   

21/08/1963      Sightings   Worked the Gushetfaulds - Aston "Condor" throughout to Birmingham   

And so there appears to be evidence of these "Scottish" machines working the WCML.

On the line to Ayr? Surprised if they didn't visit Greenock as well then......

At least one Class 21 was trialled on the Ayrshire coal lines around Maybole. Afaik lack of brake force precluded their further use, presumably before full scale the use of brake tenders. With the advent of the Blue trains would they have seen much use to Greenock?

Still havent found any photographic evidence of Class 21 use on the East Suffolk line east of Ipswich

• RMweb Gold

At least one Class 21 was trialled on the Ayrshire coal lines around Maybole. Afaik lack of brake force precluded their further use, presumably before full scale the use of brake tenders. With the advent of the Blue trains would they have seen much use to Greenock?

Still havent found any photographic evidence of Class 21 use on the East Suffolk line east of Ipswich

I think,truth to tell,their reliability record made them camera shy .They did spend some time on ECS and outer suburban services out of KX during 1958/9 but soon migrated north of the border.

On a day in Sept.1959 when Baby Deltics and BRC&W Sulzer Type 2's (later 26's) were much in evidence ,I recorded one solitary NBL....D6107. I believe they were allocated to Hornsey.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Thanks for the kind words about the map.  

We started it to generate interest in our TEA tanks in N and have now produced maps for the Pendolino (not too hard!), the proposed 320/321 EMUs and the Class 21/9 projects.  I have been making ongoing amendments in the light of comments from more knowledgeable enthusiasts, especially as I'm not familiar with the 21/9s at all in service as I think I was about 5 when the last one was scrapped!

Although the Pendolino and TEA are well underway (pics/video of TEA sample on our website and in thread here, Pendo tooling cut with samples expected for Warley) the 320/1 and 21/9 are still at the "expressions of interest" stage, so if you're potentially interested in either please let us know; if we don't hear from enough people we can't proceed.   And we don't want any money yet.  We will give it until the end of January to get to the required level of interest before we can them.  The 320/1 is looking pretty hopeful, the 21/9 not so much.  TBH I am not sure why as they seem a decent bet - the steam/diesel transition era is popular in N and small Scottish layouts featuring primarily type 2 traction seem perennially popular.

One reason for choosing Dapol for our Class 21/9 project was the work they've done on the OO model.  They managed to obtain original NBL drawings (thanks to a significant amount of help from Scotland) and if they copy the basic cab shape of their well-received 22 they won't go far wrong.  I have seen an early CAD of the 29 and it looks very nice IMO.

Although not my scale I am hoping Dapol will show more progress on the OO model soon as that may well generate more take-up in our project.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

from BR Database, the following was recorded as workings for D6123:

13/08/1963      Sightings   Worked the Aston - Gushetfaulds "Condor" throughout from Birmingham to Glasgow   

3/08/1963              Sightings   Worked the Gushetfaulds - Aston "Condor" throughout to Birmingham   

21/08/1963      Sightings   Worked the Aston - Gushetfaulds "Condor" throughout from Birmingham to Glasgow   

21/08/1963      Sightings   Worked the Gushetfaulds - Aston "Condor" throughout to Birmingham   

And so there appears to be evidence of these "Scottish" machines working the WCML.

Looks like those dates coincide with D6123s release following rebuilding. Workings as part of trials perhaps? Phil

One reason for choosing Dapol for our Class 21/9 project was the work they've done on the OO model.  They managed to obtain original NBL drawings (thanks to a significant amount of help from Scotland) and if they copy the basic cab shape of their well-received 22 they won't go far wrong.  I have seen an early CAD of the 29 and it looks very nice IMO.

Although not my scale I am hoping Dapol will show more progress on the OO model soon as that may well generate more take-up in our project.

cheers

Ben A.

If that's the case, then why oh why have they gone completely silent on the OO versions? Are they just trying to stop anyone else doing these models? As far as I know, the drawings etc. were given to them years ago, and now in their latest "update" there is no mention.

I think,truth to tell,their reliability record made them camera shy .They did spend some time on ECS and outer suburban services out of KX during 1958/9 but soon migrated north of the border.

On a day in Sept.1959 when Baby Deltics and BRC&W Sulzer Type 2's (later 26's) were much in evidence ,I recorded one solitary NBL....D6107. I believe they were allocated to Hornsey.

Bet you took a long time getting home that day, unless there was an N2 on your train!  

(Actually the Sulzer type 2 might have been ok)  :-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'd kind of abandoned all hope of ever seeing the 29, but it does look like Dapol are getting on top of their production program and we're seeing good progress on other long delayed models like the O gauge 08 so hopefully we will see signs of life in their class 29 soon too.

I'd kind of abandoned all hope of ever seeing the 29, but it does look like Dapol are getting on top of their production program and we're seeing good progress on other long delayed models like the O gauge 08 so hopefully we will see signs of life in their class 29 soon too.

I haven't got my hands on a 73 yet but if the motor is as good as is claimed and the finish is as good as it seems to be on the samples, the 21/29 should be better than the 22. If that is so, it's worth the wait.

Well the non-appearance of the Dapol 21/29 finally inspired me to do a bit of actual modelling. A few years ago I acquired from ebay a modified Hornby 29 - someone had altered the main bodyside grille and finished it in weathered two-tone green, so had made a start. I chose as my subject 6114 of which there is a good Robert Carroll photo on Flickr showing it in GFYE presumably around 1970.

The main bodyshell job was to blank off the window and add the matching lower grille that the 29s had once modified from the 21. I created a false back for the each of the large bodyside grilles as the etches meant that you could look right through the loco. The model as required had not had any work done on the ends so the main cab windows were widened to get that NBL look, the bogus end door and small warning panel lines removed and the lights re-positioned. The models had snowploughs at the non-coupling end but my photo shows 6114 without at this stage so off they came. The paintwork was made good, i.e. the alterations painted and blended and the weathering reworked.

It's by no means a super scale effort - I left things like lamp brackets off the ends as I had none to hand, and the roof is unaltered because I can't find any pictures of a 29 from roof height. It retains the original Hornby RIngfield loco which was stripped and serviced, and I installed a Lenz DCC decoder that years ago I had made up with the right spade connectors to just plug into the old Hornby Ringlfield D&E mechanisms.

However it potters around quite happily and at last I have a late period class 29 that actually bears some resemblance to the real thing.

post-549-0-28854400-1449335419_thumb.jpg

post-549-0-47121400-1449335437_thumb.jpg

Edited by andyman7
  • Like 2