The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Gold

I always wished that Benitez had stayed longer at Liverpool. He was failing really well there (speaking from my perspective as a Toffee).

Can't believe he would want to go to Ashley's Newcastle and almost certain relegation this season.

See from TV this morning that his three-year contract has a break clause if Newcastle get relegated. So expect to see him somewhere else in August. I don't think that any coach can sort out the deficiencies of Newcastle's defence that quickly. Needs new players.

Have to admit that I can't see Newcastle surviving. Benitez has no experience of fighting relegation battles for a start. Secondly the squad just is not good enough. Defensively their back four lacks Premier League quality. The inconsistent Collicini is injured whilst Steven Taylor has always been a poor excuse for a top flight defender. Jamal Lascelles is struggling having stepped up from the Championship and is making too many mistakes. At full back Janmaat's only qualities seem to be going forward. No wonder they are shipping goals. To compound their problems they do not have a consistent goal scorer. Mitrovic has been an expensive liability, getting booked more than he scores. Cisse seems to be AWOL with only Perez popping up with anything like a semi consistent supply and he, in my opinion, is a bit lightweight.

In addition the bottom four have become detached from the rest who are all capable of picking up points. So it will be three out of four who will slip through the trapdoor. Villa are already digging out the road maps for the exotic midweek away trips to Rotherham, Preston and Huddersfield. Norwich are not picking up results and are heading down too, not enough quality there. So that leaves either Newcastle or Sunderland to fill the other spot. Sunderland have goals in their team and, in Big Sam, a manager experienced at beating the drop. So I am afraid the Geordies are doomed to the Championship.

....As for Ashley he seems intent on upsetting the MP's by refusing to appear before their committee to talk about Sports Direct employment conditions in Derbyshire.

That's probably because he truly thinks he's untouchable. In his mind, everyone is of no concern or consequence. There's not really a lot you can do about that.

The only other person who seems to think and act like that is Cristiano Ronaldo. Even when he's being interviewed, his facial expression suggests that he thinks the whole thing is a waste of his time.

• RMweb Gold

That's probably because he truly thinks he's untouchable. In his mind, everyone is of no concern or consequence. There's not really a lot you can do about that.

The only other person who seems to think and act like that is Cristiano Ronaldo. Even when he's being interviewed, his facial expression suggests that he thinks the whole thing is a waste of his time.

Oh but there is. The House of Commons is technically a Court. If he fails to turn up when summonsed, he can be jailed indefinitely for Contempt of Court. I wonder how many MPs are Newcastle supporters....

As for Ronaldo, I think that he has a valid point. Sports journalists ask the most banal and predictable questions: Ask LvG.

• RMweb Gold

Have to admit that I can't see Newcastle surviving. Benitez has no experience of fighting relegation battles for a start. Secondly the squad just is not good enough. Defensively their back four lacks Premier League quality. The inconsistent Collicini is injured whilst Steven Taylor has always been a poor excuse for a top flight defender. Jamal Lascelles is struggling having stepped up from the Championship and is making too many mistakes. At full back Janmaat's only qualities seem to be going forward. No wonder they are shipping goals. To compound their problems they do not have a consistent goal scorer. Mitrovic has been an expensive liability, getting booked more than he scores. Cisse seems to be AWOL with only Perez popping up with anything like a semi consistent supply and he, in my opinion, is a bit lightweight.

In addition the bottom four have become detached from the rest who are all capable of picking up points. So it will be three out of four who will slip through the trapdoor. Villa are already digging out the road maps for the exotic midweek away trips to Rotherham, Preston and Huddersfield. Norwich are not picking up results and are heading down too, not enough quality there. So that leaves either Newcastle or Sunderland to fill the other spot. Sunderland have goals in their team and, in Big Sam, a manager experienced at beating the drop. So I am afraid the Geordies are doomed to the Championship.

That's the kiss of death for Sunderland then. :P

Oh but there is. The House of Commons is technically a Court. If he fails to turn up when summonsed, he can be jailed indefinitely for Contempt of Court.....

I don't think Mike Ashley really gives a toss whether the Commons is technically a Court or not. When you are of a certain mindset, you really do think you are above everyone.

• RMweb Gold

I don't think Mike Ashley really gives a toss whether the Commons is technically a Court or not. When you are of a certain mindset, you really do think you are above everyone.

He might feel differently about it if he ends up in a jail in the North-East. Which cons would give him the hardest time: Newcastle fans or Sunderland fans?

Not sure about the kiss of death for Sunderland. After all I was saying all along that Derby would not win at Rotherham today. Despite going 3-0 up they contrived to throw away two more points. I would say unbelievable, but nothing surprises me about our team anymore. Time for the chairman to dig out all of those job applications in his desk drawer!

• RMweb Gold

He might feel differently about it if he ends up in a jail in the North-East. Which cons would give him the hardest time: Newcastle fans or Sunderland fans?

Newcastle fans.

Sunderland fans think he is doing a reasonable job.

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like a similar mindset to that of a particular owner of a currently banned train operating company..............

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

They have two "six-pointers" coming up next: Norwich and Sunderland.

• RMweb Premium

What should be worrying Chelsea, is the number of forwards they've let go and their now playing successfully at other clubs AND SCORING GOALS, against us. Romelu Lukaku, is the latest. So far he's scored 18 Premier League goals, this season. Chelsea would be in a vastly better position, if those goals were to our benefit.

Andy, I haven't been to a football match for a good many years, but I did support Rotherham, and still habitually look to see how they've done of a Saturday. I know how sometimes the club you follow can disappoint you, sometimes surprise you.

So I hope you won't take it amiss when I say that my reaction to seeing that Rotherham went from 3-0 down at 83 minutes to 3-3 at 90+1 minutes against a side a long way above them in the Championship was simply a quiet "Oh! well done, you Millers!" 

Andy, I haven't been to a football match for a good many years, but I did support Rotherham, and still habitually look to see how they've done of a Saturday. I know how sometimes the club you follow can disappoint you, sometimes surprise you.

So I hope you won't take it amiss when I say that my reaction to seeing that Rotherham went from 3-0 down at 83 minutes to 3-3 at 90+1 minutes against a side a long way above them in the Championship was simply a quiet "Oh! well done, you Millers!" 

It's the Magic of Warnock my friend. In my mind a Top Championship manager.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What should be worrying Chelsea, is the number of forwards they've let go and their now playing successfully at other clubs AND SCORING GOALS, against us. Romelu Lukaku, is the latest. So far he's scored 18 Premier League goals, this season. Chelsea would be in a vastly better position, if those goals were to our benefit.

Chelsea have never been the same after they sold David Speedie to Coventry.

• Like 1

I bet there were many Rotherham fans who were less quiet. Credit to Rotherham for a great come back and a fantastic run under Warnock. I hope the dope testing people took a certain Leon Best to one side after the game. He could not hit a cow's ar$e with a banjo when on loan at us.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I agree up to a point but not with "let go". They made £10M on the deal.

Job done at King Power tonight thanks to Okazaki's neat overhead kick goal.

Comfortably the worst Home game of the season so far and almost completely devoid of entertainment, but the result is everything at this stage of the season.

I saw a few signs of the Rafalution beginning with the Newcastle players all putting in a decent shift and showing a bit of backbone, which only serves to show how disgraceful they have been for the majority of this season.

• Like 3

Job done at King Power tonight thanks to Okazaki's neat overhead kick goal.

Comfortably the worst Home game of the season so far and almost completely devoid of entertainment, but the result is everything at this stage of the season.

I saw a few signs of the Rafalution beginning with the Newcastle players all putting in a decent shift and showing a bit of backbone, which only serves to show how disgraceful they have been for the majority of this season.

I'd get that word copyrighted, if I were you, before everyone starts saying "Rafalution"!

Edited by Steve K