The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Frank Worthington RIP - a Leicester City legend   - I used to look forward to Saturday afternoons at Filbert Street in the seventies as you never knew what he might try.

A great pity he never won more England caps -  but unfortunately he was at the peak of his powers when that negative  barsteward  Revie took over the England manager's job and set English International football back ten years by packing the team with dullard workhorses and suppressing any individuality.

Edited by cary hill
omission
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
On 31/03/2021 at 20:03, peanuts said:

Oh dear looks like the crap is about to hit the fan at Boundary Park 3 sponsors have left the club in the last fortnight asking all asociations with the club to end forthwith . 

Screenshot_20210331-184849_Samsung Internet.jpg

Seems like very worrying times.

Is there a précis of the ongoing situation anywhere?

Mike.

19 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Seems like very worrying times.

Is there a précis of the ongoing situation anywhere?

Mike.

It has been a long running saga of poor managment and ineptitude brought to a head by our current owners reign . Good summation on the links at push the boundary websites . 

Screenshot_20210405-030213_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Thanks 1

I've sampled 'The Premiership' with Cardiff City, and didn't particularly like, or enjoy it. . . . . . let the 'Big Six' b*gg*r off across the Channel and take their ' Sky remote control clutching, sofa moulding, wannabe supporters  with them....... because the 'real fans' - those who go week in, week out to watch real clubs, at real grounds, at places like Boundary Park, Home Park, Sincil Bank or the Victoria Ground will still be there, supporting their "local clubs".

here endeth the rant !

Edited by br2975
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, br2975 said:

I've sampled 'The Premiership' with Cardiff City, and didn't particularly like, or enjoy it. . . . . . let the 'Big Six' b*gg*r off across the Channel and take their ' Sky remote control clutching, sofa moulding, wannabe supporters  with them....... because the 'real fans' - those who go week in, week out to watch real clubs, at real grounds, at places like Boundary Park, Home Park, Sincil Bank or the Victoria Ground will still be there, supporting their "local clubs".

here endeth the rant !

Reminds me of what  Kerry Packer tried to do with Cricket!

Plus the formation of the premier league to stop a breakaway!

Edited by Mark Saunders
Memory
  • Agree 2

Looking at the Guardian article it would seem as if they intend to continue to compete in the domestic leagues. So it would also seem that it's the Champions League and FIFA they are aiming at. Rather than shout and scream why don't Fifa actually talk to them. Some of you have said its just about the money but what do you think the EPL, Champions League and UEFA are all about?!!

Things don't usually get this far down the line unless the existing ruling bodies have dug their heals in and refused to listen to concerns raised. Considering who's in charge of football and the feeling of entitlement they have I'm pretty sure they've refused to talk and listen on the basis of "they wouldn't dare do that!". Well they have. 

Edited by Hobby

2 hours ago, br2975 said:

. . . . . . let the 'Big Six' b*gg*r off across the Channel and take their ' Sky remote control clutching, sofa moulding, wannabe supporters  with them......

Or what some call 'plastic fans'.:sungum:

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SHMD said:

Well now then. Will it be Seel Park or Bower Fold for me?

Kev.

Wont matter in a couple of seasons! The club who play at Bower Fold are being run into the ground; you'll be able to go to both, and see both teams. As long as you don't end up at Ewen Fields, that's fine by me!

On the general European Super League thing, yes, I do think the Premier League have got a darned cheek whinging  the way they ae

13 hours ago, BoD said:

So, the Premier League that broke away from the football league, for similar reasons, are against this.  Oh, the irony.

This is nothing like the formation of the PL.

These Super League clubs are forming a closed shop where there is no relegation or promotion.

They are guaranteed members of this new league.

The proposal suggests 5 guest teams per season, will be allowed to compete, but their entry is based on their credentials of past successes.

At least with the Premier League, there is open promotion and relegation to/from the Football league and the PL supplies money that is distributed through the lower leagues. The Super League are not doing any of this.

This will severely diminish the appeal of the Premier League, as there’s nothing to play for other than the title and avoiding relegation.

The battle for top 4 will disappear, as finishing 2nd and below becomes worthless.

If you have a season like this one where one club breaks away in the lead, then there’s no incentive for the trailing clubs to bother and the degree of anticipation and enjoyment for the fans of those clubs will evaporate.

FIFA and EUFA may have had an unsavoury record and the “big clubs” may hold far too much power and influence already, but this is on an entirely different level. Despite football being all about money, at least other clubs, including small clubs, can in theory and in practice, rise to the top from time to time and have their day in the sun.

Leicester winning the EPL, Wimbledon, Wigan and Portsmouth winning the FA Cup, teams like Norwich etc, getting promotion to the top flight. It’s all about the possible and about aspiration and dreams.

Non of that will be possible with the Super League, which will be firmly fixed as the fiefdom of the top “elite”, with no risk to those clubs.

This is going to great fun for Arsenal and Tottenham fans, watching their teams being trashed every week by the likes of Real Madrid and Juventus. Forever the whipping boys, being ritually humiliated on a regular basis, with no prospect of winning, or escaping by relegation from the SL.

...and how much is it going to cost to watch this parade?

These SL founding clubs want an even bigger slice of the pie and want it to be an even more global “product” than it currently is.

Who’s going to be paying for it?  

The TV rights will be fought over by Amazon, Google, Netflix as well as established TV conglomerates, with billion dollar fees.

As well as advertising revenues, fans will be expected to cough up a lot more to support this fiasco.

Pay-per-view at £30 a game?

A TV season ticket £500 ?

Will the fans walk away?

With less reliance on match day revenue and everything focused on broadcasting, why bother with fans at the stadium. They could eventually just use CGI.

I just hope EUFA, the FA and the other national football authorities have the bottle to maintain a tough stance and stamp on this hard.

The current position is to ban any player who takes part in an unauthorised break away competition, from any national or international leagues and competitions, including the World Cup.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

This is nothing like the formation of the PL.

I didn’t say that leagues themselves were similar, just the reasons behind their formation. 

Football used to be sport with a little bit of business; today it's business, with a little bit of sport.

If this is the future, it's not one that many folk will want to be associated with.

I do hope that true fans will now walk away from these clubs.

Mark

• Agree 3