The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Back in 75-76,QPR came 2nd to Liverpool in the First Division,with a team playing fabulous football.Around that time,me and some mates had recently started work,so we bought season tickets for the following season.Wasn't quite such a good season...

In the late 70's,if QPR weren't at home,we'd go to either Stamford Bridge,Craven Cottage or Griffin Park just so we could see a game.

Younger viewers may find that hard to believe...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 12/03/2022 at 11:29, 45568 said:

Are you absolutely, really, totally certain about that? 

Form an orderly mob here Chelsea haters!!!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Boo, hiss!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 12/03/2022 at 22:27, PhilJ W said:

Now if it were Manchester United.

I would rather Man United and/or Arsenal (preferably both) get relegated through their own (lack of) merit, than have the FA or anyone else make a decree.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

In the days of my youth Chelsea were a mediocre second division club!

Mike.

In the days of my youth, they beat Leeds in a replay of the FA Cup!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

In the days of my youth Manchester United were a mediocre second division club!

Give them a couple of seasons and they will be again.:P

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

This is one of my earliest football memories.

An example of what I was saying. Relegated by their own lack of merit!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

This is one of my earliest football memories.

Yes I remember that, and City beating United 4-0 in the latter stages of the League Cup around then, Dad had gone out and for some reason it was on the 'box, I can remember him coming home and seeing my face (he supported United, I was City!) and not having to ask about who won! City had a cracking team back then but never fulfilled their potential, some great young players, but always pipped at the post, all I can remember is Liverpool keep winning 1-0 everywhere!

• Like 2

A case of a respected manager leaving his successor with a team full of massive names that was well past it's sell by date.

Then having a string of managers failing to live up to expectations, some of them young and upcoming, and others big names. Along the way spending a lot of money to try and get the glory days back.

Seems familiar.....  :prankster:

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 11/03/2022 at 14:04, woodenhead said:

I guess because in many cases the Oligarchs purchased companies like Chelsea at an arms length and in some cases using shell companies to make it harder to trace where the money came from.  Then there are the strangely rich ladies spending large amounts on credit cards with no apparent source of income, one lady from Russia went from being a cleaner to owning a bank.

What upsets me is that the Government quite happily allowed all this to happen, for large swathes of cities to be bought up by faceless shell companies to launder foreign money.  Looking at the backgrounds of these people, they should never have been welcomed into the UK and now it is coming home to roost.

I don't disagree at all with what you have said. But you have not answered the question. (Have you considered a career as a politician?)

A company (in this case a PLC which is little unusual when there is a sole owner) has its own legal "personality". So it should be treated separately from Abramovitch.  Seems to me that Govt , and the Chelski lawyers, have made a basic error here.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 13/03/2022 at 16:02, kevinlms said:

Meanwhile Chelsea won again - just!

Can't deny the absolute class of  Havertz for the goal but, arguably, he shouldn't have been on the pitch.  Also thanks, in large part, to a shocking decision by VAR not to give a penalty...

• Like 1

On 13/03/2022 at 06:44, Steamport Southport said:

In the days of my youth Manchester United were a mediocre second division club!

Jason

5 hours ago, 62613 said:

Only one season (1974/75).

In January 1974 I made a bet with a Man United fan that they would be 2nd Division champions the next season. Unfortunately, by then we had lost touch, so I never collected.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, pH said:

In January 1974 I made a bet with a Man United fan that they would be 2nd Division champions the next season. Unfortunately, by then we had lost touch, so I never collected.

Typical United fans - hiding from a lost bet!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1