The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

One of the greatest goals of the FA Cup, which has been shown on TV more than any other and will be shown again throughout next weekend, was Ronnie Radford's goal for non-league Hereford against top flight Newcastle in 1972. Sadly Ronnie's death at the age of 79 has been reported today. RIP Ronnie.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I see Burnley's personal referee let them play on until they had scored enough goals to beat Rotherham tonight, and assisted the cause even further by sending one of their players off on 75 minutes.

Mike.

Oh dear Mike ! Could be worse , you could be a fellow Baggies fan…

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Things are beginning to look a bit better for Leicester City now that Achilles has stopped sulking and moaning in his tent and started to manage the team again. The arrival of the new defensive and set piece coach and signing of Wout Faes seem to have made a huge difference defensively - 22 goals conceded in the first 7 games of the season and now only 3 goals conceded in the last 7 games.

Scoring goals doesn't seem to be a problem as we have scored more away goals than any other Premier League team to date including a couple of absolute stunners from Tielemans.

James Maddison is continuing to play brilliantly and remains the leading English midfielder in terms and goals and assists since the start of the 2021/22 season, but I don't suppose that will cut any ice with the risk averse conservative and system obsessed dummy that manages England.

• Like 3

may interest some on here 

Gallery Oldham is to hold an exhibition in memory of the life of Sir Walter Winterbottom from 15 November until 17th December.

https://www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/news/23105946.world-cup-oldhams-father-england-football-celebrated/

From 12:30pm on 15 November there will be an hour-long talk by Graham Morse, author of 'Sir Walter Winterbottom: The Father of Modern English Football'. Tickets via Eventbrite.

• Informative/Useful 2

Just found this thread so can't resist joining in.

Anyone who can guess my team will get... my admiration lol. But I'll give yous a clue: 35008.

Only really pay attention to them but my local is of course the Whitecaps in the MLS (apparently my first time seeing them was in the NASL at the old Empire Stadium with Alan Ball and Bruce Grobbelaar playing, but I don't remember this but vaguely), and my dad's side of the family has connections to Újpest in Hungary going back to the 19th century

• Like 1

On 06/11/2022 at 13:44, cary hill said:

James Maddison is continuing to play brilliantly and remains the leading English midfielder in terms and goals and assists since the start of the 2021/22 season, but I don't suppose that will cut any ice with the risk averse conservative and system obsessed dummy that manages England.

It seems I shall have to eat my words after all - Southgate actually selects a player in form.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, cary hill said:

It seems I shall have to eat my words after all - Southgate actually selects a player in form.

There's actually more players that have come through the Sky Blues academy than have played for United's  in the squad

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, gwrrob said:

There's actually more players that have come through the Sky Blues academy than have played for United's  in the squad

The trouble is most players for the big teams aren't eligible to play for England anyway.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/11/2022 at 06:47, Enterprisingwestern said:

Thanks for the 3 points!

Mike.

But now 3 wins out of 3 for the Baggies …. A couple more and we will have gone from bottom to playoffs in the most Inconsistent division ever…

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, D860 VICTORIOUS said:

I've been a QPR fan since 1968(now a very lapsed fan),but definitely taking my hat off to Brentford.

I didn't expect them to last their first season in the Premiership,they're playing decent football,and who would have put money on them beating Man City at the w/e...?

And Ivan Toney should be on the plane to Qatar….

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Quite agree Phil,but would he fit into Mr. Southgate's system?

From what I've seen so far,I'm not convinced by Jack Grealish,and Raheem Sterling isn't yet having his best season,but there's no doubt they both have the potential to influence things..

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 15/11/2022 at 12:03, Phil Bullock said:

Ivan toney has denied being involved in any matchfixing or betting scandals and wants to wish England good luck in thier 3- 0 win tommorow and congratulate harry kane on his hatrick 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, peanuts said:

Ivan toney has denied being involved in any matchfixing or betting scandals and wants to wish England good luck in thier 3- 0 win tommorow and congratulate harry kane on his hatrick 

Last I heard from the same source it was a 2-2 draw… 😀

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Funny 1