The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Belgium go into their next game against Tunisia with De Bryune and Vertoghen on yellow cards. Could be very useful to England’s cause if they pick up another and are forced to miss the next game against us.

• Like 1

Belgium go into their next game against Tunisia with De Bryune and Vertoghen on yellow cards. Could be very useful to England’s cause if they pick up another and are forced to miss the next game against us.

Equally they might be on the bench for the Tunisia game, kept in reserve for England.....

• RMweb Premium

Meanwhile in Australia, the subscription service showing ALL World Cup matches, continues to have ongoing problems with actually sending the matches to subscribers, including those who purchased equipment to see them.

So the 'natural' home for Football in Australia, gets to show them. This is what happens when the government slashes funding, so that cannot afford to bid properly.

https://www.theage.com.au/business/companies/sbs-to-keep-world-cup-soccer-games-as-optus-woes-deepen-20180620-p4zmoc.html

Equally they might be on the bench for the Tunisia game, kept in reserve for England.....

More than likely, if Belgium are a couple of goals up on Tunisia, they will "deliberately get a yellow to use up the suspension so they are free for the second round game.

I thin that there may be a story yet to be told in this group, if Iceland draw or beat Nigeria today, then Argentina need to beat Nigeria by at least four clear goals and hope that Croatia and Iceland don't "agree" to play for a draw in the last game. If Nigeria win then there are still hope for Argentina as I cannot see Croatia losing to Iceland.

Jim

Blimey Ahmed Musa scores an excellent goal for Nigeria -  a pity he never showed anything remotely like that playing for Leicester City before he was sent back to CSKA Moscow on loan. Perhaps he'll get a second chance at Leicester......

Edit: He scores again and hits the bar....is it the same player?

Edited by cary hill

Well they might be behind at the moment, but I do confess to liking Iceland. Plain, basic football, but well executed. Their fans thunderclap resounding around the stands makes the atmosphere electric.

• RMweb Gold

Blimey Ahmed Musa scores an excellent goal for Nigeria -  a pity he never showed anything remotely like that playing for Leicester City before he was sent back to CSKA Moscow on loan. Perhaps he'll get a second chance at Leicester.......

Just got another. :jester:

When did holding by two players become a play-on call?  e.g. Serbia v Switzerland, second half.   

I remember, as a referee in USA, at a training session run by a US national level referee in the 1980s.  He said that a modest amount of holding was OK and didn't need to be penalized for holding.  I asked at what point it was not OK and gave the example of a player who is about to make a long pass, has his jersey pulled, and can only get off a short pass.  The trainer was really embarrassed because he didn't have an answer.   I asked where it would end and after that question the trainer avoided looking at me for the rest of the session.  Where will holding end?  

The England v. Tunisia match was a good example of total inconsistency and on the BBC website, there was a comment that the holding of Kane did not warrant a VAR.

Would someone give me the inside story on when holding is not holding while the ball is in play. .

• RMweb Gold

Would someone give me the inside story on when holding is not holding while the ball is in play. .

When it's a full blown rugby tackle......

........ which seems to be perfectly acceptable.

I just found the following on The Guardian's site.   This seems to say that if both players have a good grip on each other's  shirts it should not be called as a holding foul.  Is that the correct interpretation by the F.A. FIFA, etc. 

Guerreiro and Amrabat: Portugal v Morocco

What happened: Morocco’s Nordin Amrabat and Portugal’s Raphaël Guerreiro tangled in the penalty area. Morocco appealed for a spot-kick that was not forthcoming. 

What should have happened: Replays suggested that both players had a firm grasp on each other’s shirts, and that no penalty was probably the correct call.

From what I've seen, the use of VAR has contributed significantly and positively to the correct interpretation of the rules in this World Cup.  However I think there is a danger that, when examined, the slightest contact is regarded as foul play and the "benefit of the doubt" element removed.  My opinion is that a slight shove, as in the Swiss goal against Brazil, is part and parcel of the game - and I detest those players who use every opportunity to tumble over and writhe in agony.

It's not the fault of the VAR system, but the referral and monitoring has been inconsistent and not without bias.  The incidents with Kane and the Serbian striker being wrestled to the ground should have been alerted to the match referee.  The foul committed by the Croatian (who went on to score the opening goal) against Argentina should have been reviewed and the player red carded. 

Of course, in the pre-VAR days, a linesman/assistant referee ought to have been telling the match referee what he has seen - it happens often in rugby, but it beats me why it seldom happens in soccer.

So a good start, but still room for improvement in its application.

Edited by EddieB