The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

My only concern is injuries as the Panamanians don't seem overly averse to the physical side.

I can see a Rattin moment. Torres is doing enough to annoy the referee, and taking his players off when he gets justly rewarded.

I would take off the big players now.  Kane being the first one.

Like Sterling?

For the second game in a row - job done. 

Did not expect the margin of victory, but proof again that Panama are the worst team in the tournament.

Now England safely through to round two. Still not seen anything to suggest my prediction of a quarter final place is wildly optimistic or too conservative.

I'm sure the national media will be hyping England saying we are almost in the final. However, lets keep some rationality. 

We have beaten Panama and Tunisia. 

We need to play teams such as Russia, Spain, Portugal, France, Croatia, Brazil and Mexico in order to see how good we are. However, a game against Belgium will do for a start.

• RMweb Gold

Normal second half performance fall off by England - a bit ponderous and slow - but I suppose for once it doesn't matter although it will when England play someone decent.

Not only did it not matter, I think it was inevitable.

I don't think, in this case, it was ponderous and slow, just playing time out, conserving energy in the heat and not risking cards or injury

• RMweb Gold

Two games, two wins and we’re through to the next stage of the tournament. We’re also playing some good entertaining football, which is a world of difference from the last World Cup when we were absolutely dire. I’ve seen nothing to frighten England so who knows how far we can go. Onward and upward.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm a dyed in the wool England fan, but.... Don't expect any fantastic journey past the next game or 4.

"Why?" I hear you ask.

The new season is coming up, and professional footballers need their holiday. Football managers don't want injured players starting the new season with knocks & bangs. There's a lot of money on that pitch!

I had always hoped that someone like Harry Redknapp would get the England managers job: Big enough to stand up to the millionaire players who automatically assume they were 'in', and wise enough to look about for the championship players who would play their collective backsides off for an England shirt. Some players will do 'just enough' to keep their reputations, and relax on the beach.

Me? I'm off to the international tiddlywinks all-comers federation handicap finals. Handicap? Here, let me kick you....

I'm a dyed in the wool England fan, but.... Don't expect any fantastic journey past the next game or 4.

"Why?" I hear you ask.

The new season is coming up, and professional footballers need their holiday. Football managers don't want injured players starting the new season with knocks & bangs. There's a lot of money on that pitch!

I had always hoped that someone like Harry Redknapp would get the England managers job: Big enough to stand up to the millionaire players who automatically assume they were 'in', and wise enough to look about for the championship players who would play their collective backsides off for an England shirt. Some players will do 'just enough' to keep their reputations, and relax on the beach.

Me? I'm off to the international tiddlywinks all-comers federation handicap finals. Handicap? Here, let me kick you....

Eh? There's more big name players at English clubs playing for Spain, Germany, Brazil, France, Belgium, Argentina, Egypt, Senegal, etc. than are playing for England.

Sorry but those kind of excuses for England being rubbish doesn't hold up anymore seeing as half the other teams are full of English based players.

Jason

The worst, and I don't like to say this, Poland.

You might be right it seems as if Lewandowski has a highly contagious disease and his Polish team mates don't want to go anywhere near him. The poor man can't do it all on his own with zero support.

Edited by cary hill

My concern is the quality of the referees. This is the world cup so should have the best referees and although I'm sure the representatives from Uzbekistan, Bahrain, Gambia, Zambia, Tahiti etc know the rules and are the top refs in their respective countries are they really up to officiating at this level? Our refs get a regular knocking but we don't have a single representative at the World Cup, surely we've got a dozen that are better qualified.

My concern is the quality of the referees. This is the world cup so should have the best referees and although I'm sure the representatives from Uzbekistan, Bahrain, Gambia, Zambia, Tahiti etc know the rules and are the top refs in their respective countries are they really up to officiating at this level? Our refs get a regular knocking but we don't have a single representative at the World Cup, surely we've got a dozen that are better qualified.

I thought Clattenburg was on the provisional confirmed  list before he went chasing a crock of gold in Saudi. Also not sure we've got a dozen quality referees in the Premiership but I could have missed them I suppose. :jester: