The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

14 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Need more than make-up! ;)

Cheapest tickets for Wembley are £65/55, coach from Manchester £20/10 (subsidised) price. So for two adults/two kids £300 just for starters.... To be fair I suspect even on the old method of "half way between clubs" they'd have probably gone for somewhere in London... Whole thing is well outside my price range these days, even Stock Cars are a luxury, I prefer to spend money on my model railway! ;)

You and me both! :jester:

Exactly - it's just not affordable or practical for most ordinary folks. Alongside my Gateshead season ticket, I get my enjoyment(!?!?) and football fix from my low cost trips to non-league clubs in the North East. 

4 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Sorry, I was joking. Being in the drinks industry, I am aware of this gadget.

Sorry and no problem at all. I thought it was in jest but wasn't sure.... the problems nuances of the written as ever......

Hopefully the article is good at explaining the technology for us lay people. 

On 04/04/2019 at 10:36, south_tyne said:

I was hoping for a midweek MOTD too but to no avail! Did you pick up some good tips for touching up your face paint though Hobby!?! :laugh_mini: 

Ridiculous chat this morning criticising the Man City fans for not selling out their allocation for Wembley at the weekend and not filling their ground last night. They've got three games in London in eight days!! The cost will be astronomical. Tickets for the semi-final are evidently at least £80 for adults and £70 for kids. Add in the travel costs from Manchester, buying food and drink at the inflated Wembley costs and it becomes an epic day out. Potentially £400+ for parents and a couple of kids. Getting back from Euston on the train will also be difficult (and expensive). Ridiculous kick-off times to suit TV do not help fans who want to attend. In my opinion the FA Cup semi-finals shouldn't be at Wembley but at an alternative neutral ground. I know Brighton fans have to travel too mind and just because of geography that particular match doesn't really offer many options for a ground midway between but I still don't think they should be at Wembley. Sometimes I have limited sympathy for fans of Premier League clubs, some of whom occasionally act as though there is no life outside the big boys money club, but in this case I really feel that fans are getting a raw deal. Sorry, rant over...........

Rugby union can be pretty shameful in that respect. Cardiff’s rapacious hoteliers have a world-wide reputation... £1090 for a twin room, the day of Wales v New Zealand... France have more than once, postponed games due to weather less than 2 hrs before kickoff, inexcusable for an international with thousands of tickets sold overseas. 

The Six Nations now begins with a Friday evening game, accompanied by a blizzard of publicity and hard sell for a justifiably unpopular fixture staged entirely for tv purposes.  I’m afraid after once forgoing a days pay on top of the other expenses to see a decidedly lacklustre France in Cardiff, I won’t be doing THAT again. Six of eight games have been played in Cardiff, the other two in Paris. England and Ireland won’t entertain the fixture, Scotland and Italy admit that they couldn’t sell the tickets and all admit that they couldn’t sell tickets for any fixture involving Italy on a Friday (by the same token, Italy NEVER play in the last game of the tournament, since it would almost certainly be a dead rubber). 

Yes Walker was very lucky there, but it doesn't help when the opposition stamp all over you... No excuse for the reaction, though, probably why Pep took him off... Didn't play at our best but still won, that'll do me...

Should be a good game in the other semi-final today. Both Watford and Wolves have had excellent seasons and both play good football in different ways. 

At the other end of the football scale, I am getting worried about Berwick. They are in a perilous position and got hammered 6-0 yesterday. Albion also lost but Rangers remain bottom and could be in course for that nail-biting play-off with the Highland/Lowland League winner. 

1 hour ago, cary hill said:

What a pleasant change to watch an exciting F.A .Cup Semi-Final between two pretty evenly matched teams. It was  the best for some years.

Agreed, it was a cracking game and it helps to go a little way to make up for lots  (a couple of decades!) of drab semi-finals and finals!! I was a little disappointed, as I had wanted Wolves to win, but still enjoyed the game. I can't see Watford winning the final mind. 

Still, there was more at Wembley last weekend for the Sunderland v Portsmouth game than either semi-final!

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, kevinlms said:

The battle of the 3rd and 4th position of the Premier League has opened up after Arsenal's loss.

Defintely. For all Chelsea are having a 'terrible' season, and seem to want the manager out, they could take a big step by winning tonight and suddenly are right back in the mix. Arsenal are suffering from the same old problems with consistency and both have the added complication of the Europa League to deal with. Personally, I hope it will be Spurs and Arsenal who grab the two spots but it should be an interesting run in. 

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, south_tyne said:

Defintely. For all Chelsea are having a 'terrible' season, and seem to want the manager out, they could take a big step by winning tonight and suddenly are right back in the mix. Arsenal are suffering from the same old problems with consistency and both have the added complication of the Europa League to deal with. Personally, I hope it will be Spurs and Arsenal who grab the two spots but it should be an interesting run in. 

Definitely Chelsea and Spurs for me. Can't stand the other two!

14 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Definitely Chelsea and Spurs for me. Can't stand the other two!

Funny as I cannot stand Chelsea! I have warmed to Arsenal a lot more since Emery has taken over mind. Whilst Wenger did absolutely fantastic things, and will be included wihin the best dozen or so managers in the history of the British game, he simply stayed far too long and was stubborn to the point of stupidity by the end. 

It is interesting mind because Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd are all in rebuilding phases and it is going to be a huge summer for Tottenham, with the new stadium and a news to sign new players to push on and, importantly, to retain the current stars and their manager. The top 6 are getting further away from the rest mind and that is only going to continue. European Super League anyone?

40 minutes ago, south_tyne said:

Well it won't be Hartlepool and Sunderland, that's for sure!

John

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, south_tyne said:

Funny as I cannot stand Chelsea! I have warmed to Arsenal a lot more since Emery has taken over mind. Whilst Wenger did absolutely fantastic things, and will be included wihin the best dozen or so managers in the history of the British game, he simply stayed far too long and was stubborn to the point of stupidity by the end. 

It is interesting mind because Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd are all in rebuilding phases and it is going to be a huge summer for Tottenham, with the new stadium and a news to sign new players to push on and, importantly, to retain the current stars and their manager. The top 6 are getting further away from the rest mind and that is only going to continue. European Super League anyone?

Definitely, a bit of the problem, with the top 6 having a 14 point gap to 7th place. The top 6 names have only had a slight variations for years now.

At least its a top 6 and it changes, unlike Scotland, where their Premier League challenger list, consists of one!

With the new stadium, Spurs will need to keep up, to pay the bills. The last 5 league match results, will mean disaster if they keep going at that rate!

28 minutes ago, Two_sugars said:

Well it won't be Hartlepool and Sunderland, that's for sure!

John

Or Gateshead! 

27 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Definitely, a bit of the problem, with the top 6 having a 14 point gap to 7th place. The top 6 names have only had a slight variations for years now.

At least its a top 6 and it changes, unlike Scotland, where their Premier League challenger list, consists of one!

With the new stadium, Spurs will need to keep up, to pay the bills. The last 5 league match results, will mean disaster if they keep going at that rate!

That's very true and I imagine any attempt to make the finances of the PL more equitable will be fiercely resisted by the big lads. Wolves for one have done a fantastic job this year of trying to break the monopoly but they are still so far behind in points terms. It is going to take hundreds of millions for a Wolves, Watford, Everton, Leicester etc to push and break into that elite group and, to be honest, it is probably highly unlikely. That Leicester triumph is a once a lifetime combination of circumstances and one, as football fans, we should treasure. 

The procession of Celtic isn't good for the Scottish game. It cannot be much for for their supporters either..... surely it must be boring knowing ultimately you are going to win most games and the title at a canter? Maybe that attitude just reflects the masochist in me though!! :laugh_mini: Me dad always says that being a football fan is good preparation for life...... so much hope and expectation but ultimately, for the vast majority of us, it all ends in disappointment! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, south_tyne said:

Or Gateshead! 

That's very true and I imagine any attempt to make the finances of the PL more equitable will be fiercely resisted by the big lads. Wolves for one have done a fantastic job this year of trying to break the monopoly but they are still so far behind in points terms. It is going to take hundreds of millions for a Wolves, Watford, Everton, Leicester etc to push and break into that elite group and, to be honest, it is probably highly unlikely. That Leicester triumph is a once a lifetime combination of circumstances and one, as football fans, we should treasure. 

The procession of Celtic isn't good for the Scottish game. It cannot be much for for their supporters either..... surely it must be boring knowing ultimately you are going to win most games and the title at a canter? Maybe that attitude just reflects the masochist in me though!! :laugh_mini: Me dad always says that being a football fan is good preparation for life...... so much hope and expectation but ultimately, for the vast majority of us, it all ends in disappointment! 

It wasn't that long ago, that Chelsea were a regular mid table side.

4 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

It wasn't that long ago, that Chelsea were a regular mid table side.

Very true... Man Utd were playing in the second division in the '70s, Liverpool were a second-tier team before Bill Shankly arrived and Man City have obviously been on a rollercoaster of a journey over the years. But don't forget though, in the opinion of many folk and the mainstream media, football was invented in 1992! 

Sadly I think the finances of the game have become so extreme that chances of clubs breaking the monopoly of the top 6 is increasingly unlikely. Certainly no team will repeat the feat of Ipswich under Alf Ramsey and win consecutive second and first division titles. I would love to be proved wrong though. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, south_tyne said:

Very true... Man Utd were playing in the second division in the '70s, Liverpool were a second-tier team before Bill Shankly arrived and Man City have obviously been on a rollercoaster of a journey over the years. But don't forget though, in the opinion of many folk and the mainstream media, football was invented in 1992! 

Sadly I think the finances of the game have become so extreme that chances of clubs breaking the monopoly of the top 6 is increasingly unlikely. Certainly no team will repeat the feat of Ipswich under Alf Ramsey and win consecutive second and first division titles. I would love to be proved wrong though. 

Very true and don't forget Chelsea have made a couple of trips down below. 

Of course these days, everyone (especially the top 6) DEMANDS a new manager, if the title isn't within reach by November!

• RMweb Gold

With the exception of Arsenal, all the "top six" have had fairly recent spells in the lower divisions. Man C only got out of the 3rd tier with a spot-kick shoot out against Gillingham.

But the finances of the modern game do indeed make it unlikely for any other clubs to break into that elite. I don't think UK fans would be all that keen on a European Super League.

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

With the exception of Arsenal, all the "top six" have had fairly recent spells in the lower divisions. Man C only got out of the 3rd tier with a spot-kick shoot out against Gillingham.

But the finances of the modern game do indeed make it unlikely for any other clubs to break into that elite. I don't think UK fans would be all that keen on a European Super League.

Especially with Brexit!

At least the PL have 6 teams with a vague chance of winning the title (7 if you include Leicester), Scotland is a one horse race and it must be dull in Italy with Juventus rapidly approaching an 8th successive title. Germany and Spain get a bit of variety although PSG look like they'll dominate the French league for the foreseable future.

9 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I don't think UK fans would be all that keen on a European Super League.

Since the clubs lost all interest in their fans, except as cash cows, many seasons ago, why should being a member of a European Super League bother any of those that might qualify for it? See the protest by Fulham fans about ticket prices against Man. City last weekend.

There used to be an F.A. rule (38, I think) which stated that the directors of a club couldn't make a personal profit out of their directorship, but that was one of the first ditched when the Premier League was formed. I'm not saying it didn't happen before, but it's quite commonplace now.

Edited by 62613
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, 62613 said:

Since the clubs lost all interest in their fans, except as cash cows, many seasons ago, why should being a member of a European Super League bother any of those that might qualify for it? See the protest by Fulham fans about ticket prices against Man. City last weekend.

There used to be an F.A. rule (38, I think) which stated that the directors of a club couldn't make a personal profit out of their directorship, but that was one of the first ditched when the Premier League was formed. I'm not saying it didn't happen before, but it's quite commonplace now.

I'm not that convinced that UK fans would even watch European League on television. And that's where the money has to come from.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I'm not that convinced that UK fans would even watch European League on television. And that's where the money has to come from.

But Rupert needs the money!