The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Oh Deer!  Fort William match was delayed by deer droppings on the park!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47840723

Jim

Fort William 2 - Nairn 6. Two goals scored and only lost by 4. At this rate of weekly improvement, Fort might get a draw before the end of the season.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Fort William 2 - Nairn 6. Two goals scored and only lost by 4. At this rate of weekly improvement, Fort might get a draw before the end of the season.

According to the table, they already have 2 draws, under the belt!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/highland-league/table

• Like 1

8 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Oh Deer!  Fort William match was delayed by deer droppings on the park!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47840723

Jim

Many (many!) years ago I played in a Sunday morning pub league in North Yorkshire, where many of the teams were in farming villages out in the Dales. It was quite common to arrive at an away field to see members of the local side using various devices (two pieces of plywood was a common one) to clear the field of signs of the usual bovine occupants.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
On 23/02/2019 at 22:35, cary hill said:

Our very own mad little Napoleon continues to plot his own downfall at the KingPower, but I'm getting worried because he might take my club down with him, although i'm hoping we can "accidentally" pick up  the six or so points we need to stay up and avoid being another club that "blows up" in the second half of the season and ends up getting relegated from the Prem. 

The team's performances, especially at home, are beginning to match Puel's passionless incoherent press performances far too closely for my liking. We have now lost four successive home games with little sign of arresting the direction of travel.

Apparently we had 65% possession  and 27 goal attempts this evening, most of them pathetic in terms of direction and power (only 5 on target and one goal) , to Palace's 7 goal attempts (5 on target and 4 goals). Whatever is wrong with the team at both ends of the pitch Puel clearly can't fix it and I was still bored at the game with little sense that we  would actually manage to score.

Never mind we go again on Tuesday against Brighton, another one of the many mediocre PremIership teams that we should  have a good chance of beating at home,  but I fear the "Puel Revolution" has transformed Leicester into a very poor team at home in the Premiership these days with his incessant team and tactical chopping and changing and bizarre substitutions.

..no need to worry (much), he's gone!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43942584

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

I did not write the above post!

I wanted to add a new post but that one was automatically generated for me. (I did click submit to prove it though.)

Kev.

(I was going to write about "cow pat" fights in the village when I was growing up but even I can see this is "off topic"!)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pH said:

Many (many!) years ago I played in a Sunday morning pub league in North Yorkshire, where many of the teams were in farming villages out in the Dales. It was quite common to arrive at an away field to see members of the local side using various devices (two pieces of plywood was a common one) to clear the field of signs of the usual bovine occupants.

Love it! Now that's real football :laugh_mini: There is still a league up Wensleydale (the results always appear in the Northern Echo) which is great as there has been a massive decline in Saturday leagues at that level. It brings about very romantic notions in my mind and it's fantastic they can keep so a rural, local league going. 

Massive night of football tonight, not just the Champions League, but also across the Football League and National League. Really looking forward to following it all this evening, it really is getting towards crunch time - the fight for promotion in the National League and Championship in particularly should be fascinating!

• Like 2

Another atrocious VAR penalty awarded in the Spurs v Man. City Champions League game tonight. Good job Aguero's penalty attempt was distinctly average and saved by Lloris.

Definitely not looking forward to VAR in the Prem if these nonsensical awards are going to be a regular feature - the guidelines are just plain wrong and defy common sense.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

As to the Spurs game, why are commentators so obsessed by Harry Kane.  The way they went on when he went off injured you would think that there were no other players at Spurs or in the England squad.  It's a bit of an insult to the rest of the squads.

• Agree 1

I agree there seems to be an obsession with Harry Kane. He is undoubtedly a fantastic player, and his goals are worth their weight in gold, but Spurs are not a one man team. They will miss Kane but when he was out last time other players stepped up to the mark, particularly Son and he energy and drive he gives may be crucial in the away league if they play on the counter attack against Man City. In Son,  Eriksen, Lamela, Moura and Dele, Spurs certainly have plenty of attacking talent to fill the void. 

• Agree 1

Interesting to see if Sheffield United can step up to the mark tonight and respond to Leeds' victory last night. It's going to be a fascinating battle for that second spot, it looks like Norwich have the title sown up. That deserves a huge boo with my Ipswich hat on! :threaten: 

The contrasts of the two East Anglian clubs couldn't be more marked this season. Ipswich need to regroup and reset next season. It's unprecedented to be in the third tier (since escaping the Third Division South) and envitable relegation is going to be sad. It'll be interesting to see whether Lambert stays on. My cousin follows Ipswich home and away across the country but patience has been tested over the last couple of years. They have a young squad this season and hopefully they will have the fight and hunger to tackle League One head on and bounce straight back. I feel so sorry for the loyal supporters at Portman Road, but they can bounce back. 

So, after last night, Ipswich can be relegated on Saturday :cray_mini2: Norwich are on the brink of the Premier League :nea_mini:  For family reasons, they are my second team after the Heed Army, so it is really disappointing times. 

I was listening to Paul Lambert speak again this morning and he remains remarkably upbeat. They have been playing better (relatively) so hopefully a fairly upbeat and to the season means that momentum can be carried into League One. It's going to be tough next year, look at how a club as big as Sunderland certainly haven't had it all their own way, but hopefully with a squad of younger players, a positive outlook and a new direction the Tractor Boys can bounce back. 

• RMweb Gold

Just heard on the news of the death of Tommy Smith, former Liverpool FC skipper and hard man. I'm no soccer fan but I did meet him very briefly once when he was one of the after dinner speakers at one of my firm's management conferences. Most vivid memory of that hilarious talk was his "dislike" (that's putting it mildly) of his former team mate, "The No 6" who he never once referred to by name. I also remember him hobbling very badly which ISTR he put down to all the injuries over the years and is not surprising to anyone who has taken part in any form of contact sport.

RIP Tommy,  you made me laugh!

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

That is sad news and no age too. I liked him as a player and he took no prisoners and didn't stand the bulls*it that media savvy players seem to give nowadays.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

15 hours ago, gwrrob said:

That is sad news and no age too. I liked him as a player and he took no prisoners and didn't stand the bulls*it that media savvy players seem to give nowadays.

It is sad. I never saw him play but he was obviously a quality player who could cover a number of positions and have his all for his club. I heard Mark Lawrenson on the radio earlier saying he was a legendary figure at Anfield even after he finished playing and his 'hard man' reputation meant he used to hide in the toilet if he saw Smith coming down the corridor! :laugh_mini: No doubt tongue in cheek but shows the standing of the man. 

On 11/04/2019 at 17:45, gwrrob said:

Desperate times at my club and what you get when you sell the club to a hedge fund. Ground share again anyone, EPL permitting of course,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43979047

I feel for you, it is really worrying times as Coventry are a great club. You have been through the mill over recent years. You're up here at Sunderland today so hope your travelling fans have a good day in the North East despite the dire context surrounding the club. 

My own club are on the brink too. See the latest here for anyone who is interested: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gibbos-corner-gateshead-fc-special-16108519

We have even got a write-up in The Times this week: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/close-to-the-football-league-closer-to-the-brink-gateshead-a-club-consumed-by-chaos-wczj50jz3. Unpaid wages, no home, strike threats, 14 outfield players, transfer embargo - thanks to George Culkin for highlighting the stark reality of life outside the elite of the Premier League. 

The list of clubs in trouble just seems to grow..... Coventry, Bolton and Bury have all been highlighted on the radio this morning but there are so many others in peril, ourselves included. 

Edited by south_tyne
Added a link
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, south_tyne said:

I feel for you, it is really worrying times as Coventry are a great club. You have been through the mill over recent years. You're up here at Sunderland today so hope your travelling fans have a good day in the North East despite the dire context surrounding the club. 

The list of clubs in trouble just seems to grow..... Coventry, Bolton and Bury have all been highlighted on the radio this morning but there are so many others in peril, ourselves included. 

What a game that was.:read:

• Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, south_tyne said:

...so hope your travelling fans have a good day in the North East...

I think it's fair to say the Coventry fans will have enjoyed their afternoon in Sunderland! :laugh_mini:

44 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

What a game that was.:read:

You're not kidding!!

• Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, steve1 said:

Spurs proved they are not just a 'one man team' today somewhat successfully I feel.

steve

Definitely. Lucas obviously stepped up to the plate big style and I think Son will come into his own now. The upcoming Man City clashes in the league and European Cup are going to be fascinating. 

Bottom of the Premier League looks as though it is going to be sorted soon. I cannot see Cardiff picking up enough points to survive now. They probably need to win three games, highly unlikely I would imagine. 

At the other end of the scale, congratulations to Hebburn who yesterday secured second spot in the Northern League behind champions Dunston and are likely to be promoted to the Northern Premier League. A massive achievement given where the club was a couple of years ago. Disappointed for Bishop Auckland (as my NL team) but third is still a very respectable finish. 

Also a big well done to Morpeth Town who confirmed winning the title in the NLP East Division. Again a huge achivement given that is back to back promotions. Good days for non-league football in the North East. 

On a sad note, Ipswich's fate was sealed yesterday. First time back in the third tier since 1957 :sorry: Hopefully they will be able to regroup and come back stronger next season. Relegation has clearly been coming since before Christmas but the fans were magnificent in singing for their team at Portman Road yesterday. 

Edited by south_tyne
Clarification