The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

11 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Harrogate have built a new stand but the away end is appalling with portaloos, although given on going CV29 restrictions whether any fans can watch is questionable. More problematic is they have a plastic pitch which they will have to rip up and turf which I think would be the main problem.

I thought plastic pitches were ok in the lower leagues, only the EPL and Championship required grass pitches. 

8 hours ago, Ohmisterporter said:

I thought plastic pitches were ok in the lower leagues, only the EPL and Championship required grass pitches. 

They have known for some time it would need removing

https://www.thenonleaguefootballpaper.com/latest-news/26006/harrogate-town-will-rip-up-3g-pitch-if-they-reach-football-league/&ved=2ahUKEwit3ZiYuP7qAhWcWhUIHc6UAHcQFjACegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw3usmSq1hWNEthy2h4I_45z&cshid=1596437287223

Edited by Butler Henderson

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful what groundsmen can do these days. But laying a turf pitch and getting it ready for the new season in such a short timescale will be a real challenge. Could easily end of with a pitch that is far worse to play on than an artificial one.

1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Wonderful what groundsmen can do these days. But laying a turf pitch and getting it ready for the new season in such a short timescale will be a real challenge. Could easily end of with a pitch that is far worse to play on than an artificial one.

As happened at Boundary Park! When Oldham won division 2 in 1991, they still had the artificial pitch, of course; but they were banned in the 1st division. By about March of the following season, it was like a dust bowl, with very little grass between the penalty spots.

I still can't believe that Harrogate Town, and likewise Solihull Moors last season, are or were challenging for a place in the EPL!

4 hours ago, 62613 said:

As happened at Boundary Park! When Oldham won division 2 in 1991, they still had the artificial pitch, of course; but they were banned in the 1st division. By about March of the following season, it was like a dust bowl, with very little grass between the penalty spots.

I still can't believe that Harrogate Town, and likewise Solihull Moors last season, are or were challenging for a place in the EPL!

we actualy took the plastic up a season before we were required to could of kept it for another season and your right pitch was awfull for years after especialey when ground sharing with the rugby 

On 02/08/2020 at 05:47, Kendo54 said:

Celtic and Rangers for the Premier League? Do you think that over a season they are any better than an average Championship club?

Trouble with Celtic and Rangers is the baggage that comes with them.  Despite efforts by the football authorities and the Scottish Government, the bigotry thing is still there, suppressed rather than eliminated.  I would love to see the two of them play in some greater UK or European league but memories of the fans behaviour, particularly Rangers in Manchester in 2008 would deter most other cities from allowing them to visit.

I honestly thing Scottish football would benefit from them leaving long term, fans want to see their team win trophies, but with the old firm hoovering up everything in their path it is becoming rare for any other team to win a cup never mind the league.

Jim

• Agree 2

17 hours ago, Ohmisterporter said:

To answer my own question plastic pitches are only permitted outside the EFL and above. Some years ago Blackpool's owners finally decided to spend some money on improving the pitch that wore badly as the season progressed. One system I heard they were looking at was at Newcastle's St James' Park where IIRC there was a grass surface with a plastic mesh of some sort holding things together below the surface. It seemed to work well as NUFC's pitch looks good right to the end of the season. Cannot find details on Wiki so can anyone shed light on this grass/plastic hybrid system? Blackpool chose the usual re-turfing option with the usual results.

Regarding plastic pitches, when they eventually wear out can they be recycled; I read that Sweden had a problem with old plastic playing pitches being illegally dumped in the wilderness. 

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, 62613 said:

Pitches have come a long way in thirty years, so normally I would think that a football pitch could be done between seasons. But with only a few weeks until the new season, I think that they will be in difficulties.

2 hours ago, Ohmisterporter said:

To answer my own question plastic pitches are only permitted outside the EFL and above. Some years ago Blackpool's owners finally decided to spend some money on improving the pitch that wore badly as the season progressed. One system I heard they were looking at was at Newcastle's St James' Park where IIRC there was a grass surface with a plastic mesh of some sort holding things together below the surface. It seemed to work well as NUFC's pitch looks good right to the end of the season. Cannot find details on Wiki so can anyone shed light on this grass/plastic hybrid system? Blackpool chose the usual re-turfing option with the usual results.

Regarding plastic pitches, when they eventually wear out can they be recycled; I read that Sweden had a problem with old plastic playing pitches being illegally dumped in the wilderness. 

iirc doncaster used a similar system of tiny plastic balls instead of soil and fibresand top layer with the grass growing through it doesent absorb water it runs through it and doesent cut  up with use and is hard wearing least it was when we played on it for a fans game 

Edited by peanuts
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, peanuts said:

iirc doncaster used a similar system of tiny plastic balls instead of soil and fibresand top layer with the grass growing through it doesent absorb water it runs through it and doesent cut  up with use and is hard wearing least it was when we played on it for a fans game 

And guess where Harrogate are going to play their home matches until their pitch is ready - the Keepmoat.

2 hours ago, Ohmisterporter said:

Being slightly dyslexic, I misread the last sentence as, "a spoken interview in prison". Ah well, one day perhaps.

you will probably find 90% of the regulars at boundary park would happily go with your interpretation 

and in todays news the last member of the supporters trust who is not one of the Lemmys cronneys has resigned so now they have control of that 3% shareholding 

5 hours ago, peanuts said:

They've been funded by one man for about the last 20 years; Indeed, he took them to the Conference National in the noughties. I think he's found the going, with no income at all too much, hence pulling the plug.

There's a lot of critisism on here of individuals across football who have bought clubs and so put money into them. But perhaps we need to look at it from a different angle, even a small ground like my local club, Kiddy Harriers, costs a fortune to run and gate receipts alone would not get anywhere near funding the club. So whilst as fans we may not agree with what the owner is doing we should at least acknowledge that without them the club would very probably go bust. Try to persuade them to do what you want them to do by all means, but slagging them off seems harsh, if you put your money in to keep them afloat wouldn't you want them to do what you want. (And, no, your annual season ticket doesn't even come close to that!) 

Edited by Hobby

17 minutes ago, Hobby said:

There's a lot of critisism on here of individuals across football who have bought clubs and so put money into them. But perhaps we need to look at it from a different angle, even a small ground like my local club, Kiddy Harriers, costs a fortune to run and gate receipts alone would not get anywhere near funding the club. So whilst as fans we may not agree with what the owner is doing we should at least acknowledge that without them the club would very probably go bust. Try to persuade them to do what you want them to do by all means, but slagging them off seems harsh, if you put your money in to keep them afloat wouldn't you want them to do what you want. (And, no, your annual season ticket doesn't even come close to that!) 

i get exactly what you are saying and its great when they are benevelent to the club but you only have to look at what happend at Bury Bolton and now Wigan when the spivs asume control . the reason why things are so bad at Oldham is the clowns that came in three seasons ago have been nothing but an unmitigated disaster both on and of the field 11 managers in three seasons all of which have complained of interfearance in recruiting and team selection from the chairman and his brother should be a clue why we have had one relegation and just finnished in our lowest position since 1967 .they have donee everything to alianate the fan base despite promises to engae with supporters ans be open and transparent . regular non payment of wages having to be threatened with a tribunal to pay staffs pension and ni contributions multiple arbitery sackings of staff and replacement by cronneys leading to more tribunals for unfair dismmisal . deliberate engineering of a dispute with the landlords leading to the newsest stand being closed on match days with season ticket holders moved to inferior parts of the ground something that is still no nearer being resolved  . supporters and former emplyees banned from watching home games for making others aware of problems . fans liason representative sacked and replaced by a puppet who struts about on match day threatening any dissenters with expulsion . this is not the type of person who should be in control of anything . to date the club has sold approx 300 season this in the 125th year of the clubs exsistance a celebration  that they are succesfully killing would you give your hard earned $25 a week to these people or like the growing majoprity at boundary park are tsarting to say bring on admininstration to rid us of these clowns .

• Friendly/supportive 3

If they hadn't come in though, what would have happened to the club? Perhaps it would have survived or perhaps it would havegone bust. It's well known that most football clubs in the UK are money pits so without these guys many more would go bust probably including yours. History doesn't matter, money does, all the history in the world won't save a football club if the revenue isn't there. 

It may be hard to accept but sometimes there's no alternative but to get some rich guy in to fund the club when the support and sponsorship simply isn't enough.