The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, steve1 said:

Congratulations to Bayern on crushing the overrated Barca last night whilst on their way to winning the Champions League.

steve

Chelsea's result doesn't seem so bad! It took 2 legs to reach 7-1.

• Funny 3

15 hours ago, peanuts said:

maybe to have realistic aspirations the wigan crash was inevitable once the parachute money ran out small provincial team sandwiched between four large premier clubs was never going to be anything more than a yo yo club between L1 & championship on thier gates with out  massive financial backing from a sugar daddy and much as happend with pompey once they get bored and arent getting the return they expected they pass it on to the next smuck untill eventualy some poor sucker gets left holding the empty chalice 

Are you talking about the Portsmouth owner who was convicted of money laundering in his own country? I'll say it again, football clubs are stupendous vehicles for that sort of activity. Brian Clough: "How can you make a million from a football club; start with two million". The two million might be dirty money, but once it's passed through the club's books, the million the owner pays himself is clean.

Look up as well Croydon Athletic and their owner, who was laundering money from an illegal cricket bribery and betting scam through the club.

So we lost (City), it happens, no comments necessary, we were poor, certainly not what we were capable of. Kendo seems to have made up for it, he obviously can't stand City for some reason, rather sad...

But there again I don't go crowing on social media, even when we did something totally unique like last season when we won the Domestic Treble, unlike all those top teams like Liverpool, United, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc., Howard Hockins book with the title "Treble without Applause" summarised it very well as far as the press were concerned...

Edited by Hobby

In case you missed it; Stevenage have avoided the drop from League 2 and Macclesfield relegated after an extra three points deduction was implemented in the season just finished rather than being held over until next season. As an aside, teams could avoid relegation with a measly total of 23 points last season. 

• Informative/Useful 2

On 17/08/2020 at 04:52, Hobby said:

So we lost (City), it happens, no comments necessary, we were poor, certainly not what we were capable of. Kendo seems to have made up for it, he obviously can't stand City for some reason, rather sad...

But there again I don't go crowing on social media, even when we did something totally unique like last season when we won the Domestic Treble, unlike all those top teams like Liverpool, United, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc., Howard Hockins book with the title "Treble without Applause" summarised it very well as far as the press were concerned...

Shock horror that I was quite happy that City were knocked out..... but as per your post of last Saturday re comment about Bayern "Hope they don't" win the Champions League it seems perfectly acceptable for you to comment about other teams.  I would say that was rather sad.....

Domestic Treble....whoopeeeee!!!! I have not read the Howard Hockins book that you quote, but why would I? Read Daniel Harris book "The Promised Land" about how about a proper Treble....Champions Leage, Premier League and FA Cup was won. Used to be the biggest pitch in the league and the tallest floodlights... now it's a "Domestic Treble" and we're not here !!!!!, rather sad...... 

Oh dear,  you do have a chip on your shoulder(s)!

The "hope they don't" was a simple comment, as I am a City fan and we were (at that time) still in the competition I was obviously hoping we'd win it and not them. No animosity or hatred towards them (like you seem to have against City), just simply wanting my team to do well, as any supporter would!

There's no "proper" treble, there's just trebles. The simple point I was making was that the "Domestic Treble" had never been achieved before during the 70 years it could have been, it was a unique achievement, but was virtually ignored by the press, as indicated by the title to the book (I wasn't expecting you to read it, it was the title I was referring to). The Champions League had been won plenty of times by English clubs but none of them had "done" the domestic treble so it deserved at least some decent recognition which was sadly lacking.

My father was a United fan all his life, his brothers were spilt half and half between City and United, I took to the blue half of the City! When they went to watch them they'd go one week to Old Trafford and the other to Maine Road, that was typical of the day. If one team was in the cup and the other wasn't they'd support the team in the cup, and in Europe they'd always support the English/British side. That's the way I was brought up, no hatred, just wanting the best for my club and for the other local club if mine wasn't playing.

I find your comments typical of the new breed of modern football fan, and that's why I find them sad. There used to be some comrardery between fans, especially when English teams were playing in Europe or the other team in your town/city was in the cup but nowadays it's all about MY club and stuff the rest. Football used to be the sport that brought people together, it's fast becoming the opposite. That I find sad.

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Of the two I'd agree I'd rather have Bayern winning it, but I was disappointed in the goal tally, i was hoping for a goal fest which never came...

The Bundesliga is looking like the SPL at the moment, that's eight years on the trot they've won it, not to mention the domination in the fifteen years before then, makes the EPL look exciting in comparrison!

4 hours ago, Hobby said:

The Bundesliga is looking like the SPL at the moment, that's eight years on the trot they've won it, not to mention the domination in the fifteen years before then, makes the EPL look exciting in comparrison!

And just the 9 consecutive titles for Juventus.....

Quite... Sometimes we need to be thankful that in the EPL there's several teams around with the resources to compete (with the right manager/players) rather than just have one dominate, at least recently anyhow.

Add PSG into that one sided domestic mix.

Won 7 out of the last 8  French Ligue 1 titles, only losing out in 2016/17 to a very good Monaco side, who had in their squad at the time....

Fabhinho                  (now with Liverpool)

João Moutinho         (now with Wolves)

Radamel Falcao       (when he regained his peak, scoring 30 goals in that season - now with Galatasaray)

Kylian Mbappé        (then a young wonder kid - now with PSG)

Bernardo Silva         (now with some club in the EPL)

Benjamin Mendy     (also with some club in the EPL)

Tiémoué Bakayoko  (now with Chelsea)

Thomas Lemar         (now with Athletico Madrid)

Allan Saint-Maximin (who was out on loan - now at Newcastle)

Rúben Vinagre          (also at Wolves)

11 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Bernardo Silva         (now with Man City)

Benjamin Mendy     (also with Man City).

Corrected that for you. A bit pathetic considering you quoted the name of every other English side... :rolleyes:

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Hobby said:

Corrected that for you. A bit pathetic considering you quoted the name of every other English side... :rolleyes:

Yes, that covers the important ones! Between Ron, Ron, Ron and you!

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Suspended sentence... Money talks, I suspect...

..no it doesn't, he got dun for that!

Kev.

:lol:

I was meaning the suspended sentence... I suspect behind the scenes there was some "leaning" on people by other people in high(er) places... I wonder if the outcome would have been the same if he had just been an ordinary Brit?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Hobby said:

Suspended sentence... Money talks, I suspect...

Typical behaviour of young Brits abroad, it still amazes me that Spain still likes us to go over there... Again money talks?!

Drunken, boorish, badly behaved British holidaymakers are regrettably the lifeblood of many foreign destinations, not just Spain, but as you say, their money comes in handy to keep local economies afloat.

The (generally) well behaved other countries visitors don't spend anywhere near as much money, and in Spain the Spanish don't spend any money at all, I always wondered where the half a pint of beer and six straws joke originated, having actually seen it here more than once I now know!

Mike.

6 hours ago, Hobby said:

Typical behaviour of young Brits abroad, it still amazes me that Spain still likes us to go over there...

Good point, although the Harry Maguire incident was of course in Greece.......

• Like 1
  • Agree 1