Round & Flat top JJA Autoballaster 38-211/2

newbryford

Did you get your wagons? When I ordered on the 14th, there were 4 left in stock but they're only sending the generator wagon. (Which has yet to arrive).

Hopefully they come into stock soon.

Andy.

Nope - missed 'em but got two from Modellfair - decided to spread the wealth a bit :D

Plenty about though at Hattons Rails Modellfair etc etc ..........

Gone for the Genny + 4 curved - something about the flat tops that just doesn't do it for me

• RMweb Premium

Jusr doing some research into my flat JJA's with a view to renumbering away from the standard GERS13005. It turns out that the prototype 13005 has been renumbered recently to GERS 12899!

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Jusr doing some research into my flat JJA's with a view to renumbering away from the standard GERS13005. It turns out that the prototype 13005 has been renumbered recently to GERS 12899!

Cheers,

Mick

I'm turning into a wagon geek. All the pics I can find of Bachmann's GERS13005 show it with 5 small floodlights above the chutes - discussed here and a few posts below

GERS13005

13002/3/4 have extended chutes (and 5 lights) as per the HQA inners.

The round top GERS 12967, as modelled by Bachmann has flat sides........ :unsure: 12967

All my digging certainly reinforces the "work from a photograph" ethos and fotopic is excellent in making my research easier.

Hope this info is useful to someone.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

This is the real challenge to all of you/us.

And proof that flat tops Do exist and do run in mixed rakes with rounded ones......

Absolutely!

JJA's can be any combo of flat and round - I have pics of flat/round/flat/flat/genny (and the genny is round at one end and flat at the other! Go to fotopic and search for 12935 or 12936) I believe this was mentioned in the original JJA thread.

Other rakes are 3 round/1 flat/1 genny and 2flat/2 round/1genny.

The generator is *often* at the end of the rake, but it could be with the generator facing inwards or out. The genny is also wagon 2 or 3. There is also no rule as to which way the JJA's are with the platforms - all one way or mixed.

Google earth birds eye view of Crewe Basford Hall and Carlisle Kingmoor shows formations, particularly with regard to generator placement within the set. You can even tell the difference between HQA and JJA because of the buckeye couplers on the HQA inners. KM has a set of 8 JJA's on one siding.

I'm currently making mine a bit more individual by replacing the floodlights on a couple - to the smaller type - see the earlier thread.

One of them now sports extended chutes as per the HQA inner - as far as my research goes, I've only found 2 JJA's with the extended chutes.

Research is ongoing into a HQA conversion.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer the curved top wagons but deliberately bought a flat top inner to mix the rake up.

Anybody suffered from damaged or broken dunnage ?

When I took three out of the four curved top inners out of the box the end section with the flap just completely fell off.

The packaging in the flat top and generator wagon has been ok..

• 1 year later...

Hi all

No replies to this thread for a year so I'd thought I'd ask if the rumour mill out there knows of any plans for a NR yellow version? Spending a few minutes on flickr only produces photos of yellow HQA's, anyone seen a yellow JJA?

In addition, anyone know of any stock's of 38-212's? All seem sold out.

Thanks

Martin

• RMweb Premium

Shame, perhaps they'll get repainted at some point.

Of course the other one I meant was HQAE.

There are a number of differences between JJA and HQA that make it difficult to do a simple repaint if you want it to be reasonably accurate.[1] Buffers, bogies and details on the side of the hopper being the principal ones.

There are 3 variants (outer without generator / 3xinner / outer with generator) of HQA within a 5-set and then variants of those also. HQA-A/B/C, HQA-D/E/F, HQA-G/H/J and HQA-K/L/M.................... (D/E/F are NR yellow and K/L/M are Metronet yellow IIRC)

What's more likely from Bachmann is a KPA hopper - which most (all?) of the JJA's used to be in a previous life.

Cheers,

Mick

[1] There are some yellow autoballasters being produced for the 4mm Irish market, but that's a "typical" limited edition repaint without altered details

What's more likely from Bachmann is a KPA hopper - which most (all?) of the JJA's used to be in a previous life.

Yes, all the JJAs were originally KPA, the HQA were all newbuild, which accounts for many of the differences.

Shame, perhaps they'll get repainted at some point.

Never say never....but I wouldn't hold my breath. :(

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mick, TBH I'm learning my wagons and clear not all autoballaster's are equal!

Out of interest, do you know who's producing the items for the Irish market?

Martin

http://modelshopbelf...od-eireann.html

Not cheap!

Just a repainted JJA - the prototypes all have buffers, bodywork as per a HQA, different bogies to a JJA or HQA and all have extended chutes (-they are very prominent on a yellow HQA!) I think they tend to run in 4 sets (3 +genny)

And coincidentally, the daily engineers train (6K05) past my back door today had 15 or 20 HQA's on............... but couldn't get to phot it.......

HTH,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Love the patch painting - first patch covering the set number and another for the Railtrack logo (see wagon on right for double patch). And another patch for the Network Rail logo. I'm in 2 minds on my HQA set - do them as above (which means an easier job) or full repaint to yellow and a new set of transfers.............

And there's a rake of JJA's heading my way in 50 minutes.........

Cheers,

Mick

Love the patch painting - first patch covering the set number and another for the Railtrack logo (see wagon on right for double patch). And another patch for the Network Rail logo. I'm in 2 minds on my HQA set - do them as above (which means an easier job) or full repaint to yellow and a new set of transfers.............

And there's a rake of JJA's heading my way in 50 minutes.........

Cheers,

Mick

Yep, nice photo Godfrey. I'd certainly like to see any others you took. What was hauling them?

I'm like you Mick, to be correct I think mine will definately have to have their Railtrack logo's "painted" out and small Network Rail logo's added but I like the yellow one's so much I'm thinking of a repaint and new logo's. I now know a JJA is not an HQA but personally I'm not that hard over on the differences in order to see some yellow one's running down my track. :rtfm:

Perhaps I'll pick up a second rake of 5 so that when visiting purists tell me yellow JJA's are incorrect I can pull out the correct one's! :blum:

Or I'll write to NR and request a repaint! :sarcastichand:

• RMweb Premium

Which all begs the question why Bachmann did not produce HQA's instead giving them 2 liveries - RT & NR

Paul

3 liveries actually! Railtrack fawn/blue, NR yellow and Metronet yellow.

HQA's pretty much run in 5-sets with outer generator/3 x inner/ outer non-generator. JJA's often run as 5 sets also, but are more likely to be in less than 5's than HQA's.

Another livery for a JJA - Carillion cream. Or maybe even the original Tiphook blue on the first few JJAs.

As I suggested above, they can easily make a KPA from a JJA. Not easy to do HQA to JJA/KPA. They also had the bogies for the JJA/KPA.

Cheers,

Mick

Archived