RMweb

Next batch of Class 70's

• RMweb Premium

70804 at Westbury this morning.

The real reason I was there -  44932 arriving with the Cathedrals Express  to Cardiff

1Mar14-1011sml_zpsfb010439.jpg

Who put that kettle in the way? :jester:

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

I dont think there is much difference between 801 and the rest, apart from the yellow ends being different

Those who have driven the new 70s (and used to work the old ones for freightliner) sat that they are different to the original batch (which would maybe explain why they were delayed coming off the docks by a paperwork issue)

I'm on one tomorrow and ca'nt wait!!

I dont think there is much difference between 801 and the rest, apart from the yellow ends being different

Those who have driven the new 70s (and used to work the old ones for freightliner) sat that they are different to the original batch (which would maybe explain why they were delayed coming off the docks by a paperwork issue)

I'm on one tomorrow and ca'nt wait!!

Don't forget  the magic tree air freshener and fluffy dice accessories to take out the new blankness look of the cab

• RMweb Premium

can anyone tell me the numbers of the colas 70 and 66 that top and tail a engineers train through Crawley at 5.30  this morning to dark to get them

thanks john

• RMweb Gold

I'm sorry but having seen one in the metal at Eastleigh station this evening I can only wonder how a manufacturer can produce such an ugly looking locomotive and then have a design team from the operators specify a livery that makes it look even more ugly.

Godfrey

• Like 1

I'm sorry but having seen one in the metal at Eastleigh station this evening I can only wonder how a manufacturer can produce such an ugly looking locomotive and then have a design team from the operators specify a livery that makes it look even more ugly.

Godfrey

I say like as in agree about loco design shape ugly non- aerodynamic, but disagree on colas colour scheme as it`s  simple, not in your face and colourful unlike all these other modern fleet colours. I guess the only thing that matters is will they still be earning their keep in 5 - 10 or even 20 years time.

• RMweb Premium

But will they make 60 years of services like the current 37. 31 and 20, 47 that are still running today #

I say like as in agree about loco design shape ugly non- aerodynamic, but disagree on colas colour scheme as it`s  simple, not in your face and colourful unlike all these other modern fleet colours. I guess the only thing that matters is will they still be earning their keep in 5 - 10 or even 20 years time.

Terry

• RMweb Gold

Godfrey

Yesterday I saw an FL one approaching from the distance for the first time and thought it looked rather good (honest) as the two bulbous bits on the front aren't very obvious as it closes in from the distance.  Made a rather nice noise as well plus a bit grubby which gave it a bit of character.

Personally I find the aesthetics of the 70's to pleasing. There's nothing quite like them running on UK metals, I think whilst they may be considered the ugly-duckling of the modern heavy-haul fleet, they have a lot of character and are very distinctive.

Looks aside, the engine scream is one hell of a noise to witness! And as we all know thrash is key to how good a loco is...  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Well I popped back into the station this morning to see if the Colas 70 looked any better in full daylight. Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder so for those of you who appreciate the shape and the sympathetically applied livery I offer you these shots. Sorry I couldn't get the other side! Enjoy!

Godfrey

post-138-0-80286500-1393847165_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-84193600-1393847183_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-05183800-1393847206_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-92612500-1393847225_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-09357600-1393847312_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-69745000-1393847327_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-96088200-1393847464_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-16116800-1393847488_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-81971700-1393847512_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Message information from a Yahoo group page = Colas 70804 on todays 6M50  07:55 Westbury - Bescot.           Reported at 08:03 today passing Melksham                                                          Sevice currently showing - departed Hinksey Yard - Oxford   then via Banbury  13:30 - Leamington Spa - Coventry - Nuneaton - Water Orton approx. 15:24 - Walsall -  Bescot approx. 16-00   times off Real Time Trains

Message information from a Yahoo group page = Colas 70804 on todays 6M50  07:55 Westbury - Bescot.           Reported at 08:03 today passing Melksham                                                          Sevice currently showing - departed Hinksey Yard - Oxford   then via Banbury  13:30 - Leamington Spa - Coventry - Nuneaton - Water Orton approx. 15:24 - Walsall -  Bescot approx. 16-00   times off Real Time Trains

70804 repored through Oxford @ 12:03 

Godfrey

I like the Colas livery but it doesn't suit the Cl 70 at all and, IMHO, emphasises the awkward areas of the styling rather than complimenting it or disguising it. The Freightliner livery, I think, works better .

• RMweb Gold

I like the Colas livery but it doesn't suit the Cl 70 at all and, IMHO, emphasises the awkward areas of the styling rather than complimenting it or disguising it. The Freightliner livery, I think, works better .

Don't worry - whatever livery it is it will soon get nice and grubby and toned-down (or burnt off).

Real time trains list a 19:00 Bescot UP Engrs Sidings to Westbury Down TC ( arrive 02:45 )  via the Sutton Park line - Landore St. Junct - Solihull -  Leamington Spa.

Anyone know if 70804 will return on this service this evening?     Or will it go to the Colas - Washwood Heath Depot in Birmingham for crew training?

Well I popped back into the station this morning to see if the Colas 70 looked any better in full daylight. Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder so for those of you who appreciate the shape and the sympathetically applied livery I offer you these shots. Sorry I couldn't get the other side! Enjoy!Godfrey

Nice work, you just need to weather it now............... ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Real time trains list a 19:00 Bescot UP Engrs Sidings to Westbury Down TC ( arrive 02:45 ) via the Sutton Park line - Landore St. Junct - Solihull - Leamington Spa.

Anyone know if 70804 will return on this service this evening? Or will it go to the Colas - Washwood Heath Depot in Birmingham for crew training?

yes, 70804 will be on this service, in fact were all ready to roll from bescot!!

were just away from the loco having a break in the cabin before we head back as far as hinksey, its hardly the most taxing of loads for it, only 500 tons, the load into bescot was 1800 tons and i must admit i am very impressed by the performance and ride of the 70 so far (im not driving, only conducting)

09E90BBE-7FAC-4E0A-85DB-28090A1893F7.jpg

EDIT: accidentally deleted the post when i meant to edit it!

Edited by big jim
  • Like 11

" A massive  Thank You to big jim for the heads-up "  on the last posting.

Just back for Dorridge Station having seen 70804 on the return - Bescot to Westbury working!!

Having followed it for many hours to-day on RTT  I finally caught up with it @ 21:15.  :good: