Next batch of Class 70's

• RMweb Premium

I saw my first one of these up-close today (very close!) and they are seriously quiet!

I was awaiting a tram at Carbrook when one snuck up on me dragging scrap empties along the adjacent single line, presumably from Aldwarke....It was that silent I assumed it was the approaching Tram so alas the camera was firmly in the pocket :(

I rather like the look of em though :)

The closest ive got to seeing one was about half a mile away at Dawlish I could just make out the headlight above the cab.

Not even seen a Freightlner example yet in any shape or form! :D

Mind you, ive not even seen a real live Pendolino yet either but im not in to much hurry to do that anytime soon!

Class 70s silent? I've only encountered the Freightliner variety at speed but they made a hell of a racket, much louder than Voyagers/HSTs/66s/Thames Turbos, I presume they are significantly quieter when not at full chat then!

• RMweb Gold

when they are idling they are really quiet, especially in the cab

when they get going they are noisy, but not in a 66 way, its the traction motors that whine, last night i had 70804 from westbury to eastleigh with 350 tons (kirow crane) which was fairly quiet under load but coming back i had 70801 (turkish delight) with 1100 ton (2 rakes of loaded side tippers) and that whined like crazy under load at 60mph

be interesting to see how 70802 sounds later when i have 2000 ton behind it!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

GE use Siemens traction motors in their loco's. The GE's in the U.S also make the same motor racket at speed and with the throttle open.

Must something unique about Siemens motors.

• Like 1

70805 at Westbury, about 1520 this afternoon.

30Mar14044sml_zps9bc82151.jpg

Looks like it may not have moved since the picture from yesterday. It did look smaller than I expected, I've seen an FL 70 before but can't recall thinking 'huh, that engine looks small'. Have Colas ordered the HO version rather than OO? ;) Edited by Satan's Goldfish

• RMweb Premium

Today it finally happened!! :D Saw my first ever 70.

I was in Riverside yard, Exeter unloading some S&C timbers and 70 801 excelerated away heading in the Taunton direction with a long rake of Falcons.

I must admit to finding the whole experience fairly impressive! I was pleasantly surprised. :sungum:

The loco was being throttled up to full power, the sound reminded me of a 60 and a 4REP in all in one.

Would have made a great video but it took me completely by surprise.

Edited by Gary H
  • Like 2

Today it finally happened!! :D

I was in Riverside yard, Exeter unloading some S&C timbers and 70 801 excelerated away heading in the Taunton direction with a long rake of Falcons.

I must admit to finding the whole experience fairly impressive! I was pleasantly surprised. :sungum:

The loco was being throttled up to full power, the sound reminded me of a 60 and a 4REP in all in one.

Yes.......I saw one accelerate away quite recently too....impressive to say the least.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I left humberstone road loop on saturday light engine on the fast towards mountsorrel and only in notch 4, i soon caught up with and overtook the 156 that had passed me on the slow a few minutes earlier!!

Edited by big jim
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

.I must admit to finding the whole experience fairly impressive! I was pleasantly surprised. :sungum:.

Do I detect a possible shift of allegiance from GM to GE?

Cheers,

Mick

Today it finally happened!! :D Saw my first ever 70.

Living in Hampshire we're quite used to the impressiveness of these things by now, but I did see my noisy favourite - FL's 70001 on Saturday rumble into Basingstoke like a fully loaded liner, stop for a crew change and then power up and away, engine roaring (almost Maybach like!), some almost Class 47/8 like chuffing (I think that's down to a carbon build up on either the Alternator or turbo) and the still impressive whining from those traction motors.

The residents of Dawlish certainly had a GE sponsored wake up call over the past few days - a nice morning grumble from 70803! And an afternoon rumble from 801.

http://new.livestream.com/dawlishbeachcam/events/2813873/videos/46772894

Edited by surfsup

• RMweb Premium

Do I detect a possible shift of allegiance from GM to GE?

Cheers,

Mick

Well I gota say Mick, it was a nice change from the normal and dull 66 but a thousand wild horses wont drag me away from the symphony of sound of a 4 pack SD40-2 consist in run 8.

One thing about the 70's, they don't sound anything like any other GE locomotive! Obviously due to the unique power unit in 'em I guess.

• RMweb Premium

Well I gota say Mick, it was a nice change from the normal and dull 66 but a thousand wild horses wont drag me away from the symphony of sound of a 4 pack SD40-2 consist in run 8.One thing about the 70's, they don't sound anything like any other GE locomotive! Obviously due to the unique power unit in 'em I guess.

Just give it time. :sungum:

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Not quite the next batch, but this seems to be the appropriate spot for Class 70 discussions.

70010 is the first Freightliner fugly to have received the extra cooler boxes as fitted to the Colas 70/8's. As a consequence, it now carries slightly smaller bodyside branding.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60758442@N08/13663857344/in/photolist-mN5tKZ-mPqQKj-mNp8u2-mPAzVE-mGxuhH-mPxC8c

Blimmin' typical that 70010 is the one I've done with the flush cab sides of 70007 upwards.....

Cheers,

Mick

Don't suppose anybody saw the pair working the Westbury - Bescot today do they? My Dad went to Radley to see it and got a bit excited to see that it was a pair and then got a bit flustered with the numbers, he thinks one of them was 805.

Cheers in advance if anyone can help :-)