Next batch of Class 70's

Impressive! I bet it sounded pretty good doing that as well!

As Jo posted, 70801 was used on 6V62 and If I'd not been out with a friend today, I would've headed up Didcot way to catch it. Although it was initially posted that 70803 was to do the honours!

I did capture 801 leaving Eastleigh to meet up with 6V62, unfortunately I was on the wrong side for the Sun. Video is linked below, as the picture not much cop.

70801 was reported as working back to Eastleigh as 0Z77 tonight. So much for it sticking to the Eastleigh to Westbury trips!

Andy.

As I found out to my cost waiting on a freezing Westbury station this afternoon !!

Howie

thats a bit of a problem for some drivers at the moment, class 70s dont have a hot plate/cooker!!

I'd have thought that would be the single most important criterion when designing a locomotive! That said, it would seem that the Class 70s have a tendency to act like a giant hot plate, perhaps negating the need for smaller ones in the cabs!

Regards,

Jack

• RMweb Gold

I'd have thought that would be the single most important criterion when designing a locomotive! That said, it would seem that the Class 70s have a tendency to act like a giant hot plate, perhaps negating the need for smaller ones in the cabs!

Regards,

Jack

i wondered how long it would be before a "mobile BBQ" comment would happen!

agreed though, you would think it would be something that was thought of in the design process, i'm not bothered as i never use them

Socket inside for a kettle though Jim? :locomotive: I know the 66s have a socket, albeit US standard. In fact, was it you that mentioned it in the past? Seems a waste of PG without boiling water!

Would I be right to presume next week for 70s on 6M50? I take it you pick it up further north since I've not seen your posts referring to the wild wilderness lands of Wiltshire.

jo

Here we go then, I've got the RAW processed and online. Note the box of PG Tips in the cab!

IMG_0480-70801-56078-6V62-XL.jpg

70801 approaches Highworth Jn, Swindon working 6V62 Tilbury - Llanwern. The '70' had worked light from Eastleigh to Acton, topping 56078 from there to the South Wales destination. This is the first daylight train and only the second ever to be worked by a Colas class 70, other than various light engine trips. Its first working was the previous night, a Network Rail service from Westbury to Eastleigh 26/2/14

The rest of the day's  photos are here http://joalder.smugmug.com/Trains/Days-Out-2014/Swindon-26214/i-MpVKVm8

jo

I have just noticed one thing about these 70s though, are they the first Colas Locos to have the numbers on the front as well as the cab sides? When they were first painted up by Arlington at Eastleigh, I always found it rather odd seeing one of these freshly painted 66s with no numbers on the front - they do look somewhat cleaner than the other FOCs front ends though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have just noticed one thing about these 70s though, are they the first Colas Locos to have the numbers on the front as well as the cab sides? When they were first painted up by Arlington at Eastleigh, I always found it rather odd seeing one of these freshly painted 66s with no numbers on the front - they do look somewhat cleaner than the other FOCs front ends though.

It hasn't taken long for 70801 to have nicely weathered bogies.

Has 70801 got brighter yellow ends than those painted in the US?

Pictures of 70803-70805 appear that the warning panel looks a bit anaemic compared to 70801.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45566949@N07/12340587243/in/photolist-jNuJDz-khewRR-iUZxjz-khdwgT-kgdh3v-iV39cj-ioP2z7-ioPGMH-j7n9Xc-jkL5tN-jkNpgf-jkL9hj-jkKvTX-jkKyUB-jkKxTt-iLpstw-iLkrYv-iLmJEn-iJd7zs-iJbaCd-iJd51u-kig8Kk-iJdmzm-fguNqv-iJb1mY-iJdigY-iJ9hCa-iJatde-hToL85-b6t8en-cH5bjL-9oRWKF-fNqgFJ-iHGWN8-iJ8V1T-iJawvB

803 up seem to be more of the paler Freightliner yellow front.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60727594@N03/7369808386/in/photolist-cefcgQ-fLxZ78-9UQxSD-dMJbRE-9UTpUy-cWK6S1-e3H2hs-e3CqmR-hH939d-9zEZWv-b5448g-d4jgoG-eaLiag-eEJi1H-i9zE2p-hDkKWz-9ZzrGx-cFabQU-cUM4GN-gWEKgU-9h8jbk-faepHG-9Du26e-jKV7yj-9ynJ8z-bX8wo4-bae4i4-fZKLLP-9ynHxT-eE3qGH-fZKS9y-9JJyna-9KB87w-e4xFQE-9YjEyj-bK673e-dLjEmE-hQQrP9-eiGGwQ-bkig4u-f3NHG1-9RJqQS-dngd4e-eBVPs4-eBWjyn-eBZ2DN-c2ty7o-iyWNpv

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

Hello Mick,

Very hard to tell about the warning panel yellow, as the Colas yellow also looks much more anaemic on the Liverpool shot.  Could just be the richer light in Jo's photo.  Interesting too to see the variation in contouring of the cantrail orange line over the front cab window.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold
I did capture 801 leaving Eastleigh to meet up with 6V62, unfortunately I was on the wrong side for the Sun. Video is linked below, as the picture not much cop.

Nice to see the Des being held for it too - Warrington signalling school has been training new recruits then !

• RMweb Premium

thats a bit of a problem for some drivers at the moment, class 70s dont have a hot plate/cooker!!

My ex-colleague is now learning to drive 66s and he has found that several 66s have non-functional hotplates! Nice at 2am on a January morning...

• RMweb Gold

66540 on 4M62 went pop at a East Grimstead and was rescued by 805 running as 0Z31, fortunately it was right behind 4M62 so we just had to pop it on the back and drag it back over the emergency crossover. Top job by both drivers in getting things sorted fast.

The Colas driver was looking very pleased ;)

post-6968-0-39811600-1393536239.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 8

As I found out to my cost waiting on a freezing Westbury station this afternoon !!

Howie

If it's any consolation, I got caught in a rain shower at Mottisfont! Saw the L/E path get activated in RTT so thought one of the others may have been used!

Shame it was back to work today, would've caught all the drama with 70805 rescuing the smoked shed!

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

This one wasn't going to get away in a hurry.

Cheers,

Mick

like king kong lashed down in its cage!!

typically i've got booked jobs for the next 2 weeks (inc class 70 training) so i won't be getting that one from the docks either!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

like king kong lashed down in its cage!!

typically i've got booked jobs for the next 2 weeks (inc class 70 training) so i won't be getting that one from the docks either!!

At least it's now painted correctly..................

Cheers,

Mick