Next batch of Class 70's

• RMweb Premium

Here's hoping that it's the Carlisle logs and they send it via the S&C (which seems to be too tough for a 56 to cope with................. :no: )    

Cheers,

Mick

And just to prove me wrong,   :umbrage:  :blush:  there's a 56 currently heading south via the S&C with a log train............................ (due by me in about 15 minutes)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

And just to prove me wrong,   :umbrage:  :blush:  there's a 56 currently heading south via the S&C with a log train............................ (due by me in about 15 minutes)

Cheers,

Mick

thats gotta be a nice train to see. must get to the s&c some time

I hope the rumour of class starting out on the Westbury engineers comes to fruition, means they should hopefully see use on the service to Eastleigh!

Anyway, a few shots of 70801 at Eastleigh on its maiden voyage in the company of 56302. These have been up on WNXX so a few may have already seen them.

post-7258-0-71635000-1393105282_thumb.jpg

post-7258-0-42257600-1393105307_thumb.jpg

post-7258-0-24013900-1393105312_thumb.jpg

I really should've taken some detail shots while it was sat there waiting the road... :scratchhead:

Andy.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I really should've taken some detail shots while it was sat there waiting the road... :scratchhead:

don't worry i'll get some next week!

one thing i have noticed is there 'appears' to be a lot less warning notices than the freightliner one, i'll measure whats on there up so precision decals can add them to their decal pack

• RMweb Premium

Read on another forum that they are visible, there may even be one out and about on tuesday if your lucky

Looks like you'll get ready with 70's just in time Jim.

One of my local groups reporting that 70802 is scheduled to be railed on Monday 3rd March, with a move on the 5th under it's own power.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

must be a good firm to work for if you can pick and choose your jobs, where i work I'm on the same poo all the time.

hmmm, dont know what to make of this post, hope your not just a troll sent here to wind me up, if i know you then let me know!!

as beast points out there is no picking and choosing of jobs, if you have seen some of my other work i dont post about you will see that i get "poo" too but its part of the job, just happens i tend to have a 56, 47 or 66 at the front of my crap job as opposed to a 142, 153, 165 etc (all of which i've driven in my career).

it may seem glamorous and exciting but i tend to do the same jobs day in day out, for weeks on end, i practically had 3 weeks of nights doing the same job before last weeks annual leave. the job involves 250 miles worth of van driving and 100 miles of train driving, and i'm on it again from tonight for the rest of the week and no doubt for a few more weeks beyond as it will have a 70 on it after next week, whoops! sorry did i just say that!

the plus side to it is as i'm willing to do it, have a good traction and route knowledge and am a mentor i do get to have a few "plumb jobs" now and again, ie 47s on the sinfin, MK3 move to kilmarnock, double headed 56s on the logs etc, collecting the 70s from the docks (if i ever get to do it!) but they aren't run purely to entertain me, its a business and my location/knowledge etc puts me in a good stead to do the job

one thing i will say is you are unhappy doing "poo" all day then do something about it, i did and i've never looked back, ok i've had downs as well as ups but one philosophy i have always believed is "never pi$$ people off on your way up, you never know when you may meet them again on your way down!"

• Like 7

For anyone interested, 70801 is out this evening. Having worked light from Eastleigh to Westbury earlier on this afternoon, it has been reported working 6Z30 Westbury to Eastleigh NDS in the company of 56302. I assume it should work the 6Z31 return.

Hopefully it does the same tomorrow night so I can get a vid of it!

Andy.

*EDIT: According to the local gen, 70801 should work this for the rest of the week. Should do as written above but then be left at Eastleigh for the 56 to take the train back to Westbury.*

Edited by SWT442

For anyone interested, 70801 is out this evening. Having worked light from Eastleigh to Westbury earlier on this afternoon, it has been reported working 6Z30 Westbury to Eastleigh NDS in the company of 56302. I assume it should work the 6Z31 return.

Hopefully it does the same tomorrow night so I can get a vid of it!

Andy.

*EDIT: According to the local gen, 70801 should work this for the rest of the week. Should do as written above but then be left at Eastleigh for the 56 to take the train back to Westbury.*

And took 1700 tonnes up Upton Scudamore bank unassisted apparently... I should imagine Colas will be happy with their new toy already.

• RMweb Gold

yes they are finally out and about, i've got to route conduct one next week on the westbury to bescot NDS job as the driver doesn't know part of the route, looking forward to getting on one, even though its just for the ride for now!

• Like 3

And took 1700 tonnes up Upton Scudamore bank unassisted apparently... I should imagine Colas will be happy with their new toy already.

Impressive! I bet it sounded pretty good doing that as well!

As Jo posted, 70801 was used on 6V62 and If I'd not been out with a friend today, I would've headed up Didcot way to catch it. Although it was initially posted that 70803 was to do the honours!

I did capture 801 leaving Eastleigh to meet up with 6V62, unfortunately I was on the wrong side for the Sun. Video is linked below, as the picture not much cop.

70801 was reported as working back to Eastleigh as 0Z77 tonight. So much for it sticking to the Eastleigh to Westbury trips!

Andy.

• Like 3

A little OT, but reading the latest RE mag it mentions that as well as the 70s Colas have got themselves a few 37s. So can we expect to see them in Colas colours soon too? Or is there other plans for them? (Sorry if there's already a thread about them somewhere else that I've missed)

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

A little OT, but reading the latest RE mag it mentions that as well as the 70s Colas have got themselves a few 37s. So can we expect to see them in Colas colours soon too? Or is there other plans for them? (Sorry if there's already a thread about them somewhere else that I've missed)

Cheers

Yep - Over on Big Jim's Colas thread.

Cheers,

Mick

Here we go then, I've got the RAW processed and online. Note the box of PG Tips in the cab!

IMG_0480-70801-56078-6V62-XL.jpg

70801 approaches Highworth Jn, Swindon working 6V62 Tilbury - Llanwern. The '70' had worked light from Eastleigh to Acton, topping 56078 from there to the South Wales destination. This is the first daylight train and only the second ever to be worked by a Colas class 70, other than various light engine trips. Its first working was the previous night, a Network Rail service from Westbury to Eastleigh 26/2/14

The rest of the day's  photos are here http://joalder.smugmug.com/Trains/Days-Out-2014/Swindon-26214/i-MpVKVm8

jo

Edited by ewsjo
  • Like 13