Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Cliches on layouts

:nono:

Humour is often difficult to convey on typed medium such as a foum reply. I guess this is why people tend to use smiles or winks to underline their humourous intent, of course some try to do this to get away with less than humourous comments :onthequiet:

Even a lowly mod can manage to use them :help:

• 2 weeks later...

You should avoid the topographical errors which are often the result of copying features from other layouts or lack of thought/observation of the prototype, and hopefully won't have the 'humorous' business names, but you can still park the bus on the bridge, have the frozen running man on the platform etc, and still run that 12 coach express into the country branch line terminus...

Not all that out of place if your layout is based on something like Swanage... prototypical branch line layout, but still had the weekend specials with a Southern light pacific such as a West Country, Merchant Navy or even a 9F hauling 8-12 coaches... ;)

I think if you really want to run / model something, there will (almost) always be a prototype to point to.

I will agree.. the humorous business names tend to detract from otherwise quality modelling.

Personally, I would go more the route of subtle 'jokes' such as humorous product in the shop window.

I have a plan for my layout that would fall under the humorous line of thought... but... with the provision to make it look 'natural'

Seeing as my layout is still in the construction phase, it'll be a while before my idea comes to fruition.. but to give an idea of my plan is this:

- Rail served factory loading dock... fairly normal and expected. After all, can not have a freight yard with no means to load / unload the wagons.

- A mix of vans and bolsters will serve the factory... vans bring the 'material' to the factory, and the finished product leaves on the bolsters

- The finished product can be anything of my choosing that can be realistically expected to be moved in this fashion... and this is where the 'humor' comes into play... at any given time, I could have the factory producing Dalek's.. hence the cliche... but I could just as easily have some form of non-descript machinery being loaded on the bolsters too.

Edit:

I once saw / read about someone who was putting a time machine factory on his layout. the loading facility was lined with telephone booths (Bill & Ted), Delorians (Back to the Future), Police Phone Boxes (Doctor Who) and even a couple scratch built Time Machines (HG Wells 'Time Machine).

Humorous, but if setup in a believable fashion, can be quite effective.

Edited by br-nse-fan
  • Like 1

Saw on a layout about... four-five years ago was a little squat grey van on the very edge of the layout complete with rotating radar bar. Complete with "Rivet Counter Detector Van".

Friend of mine decided to take the mick a bit and walked up to the owner and said (In a Top Gear Adanoids voice) "That's the wrong kind of grey for a detector van." and run off.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Saw on a layout about... four-five years ago was a little squat grey van on the very edge of the layout complete with rotating radar bar. Complete with "Rivet Counter Detector Van".

Friend of mine decided to take the mick a bit and walked up to the owner and said (In a Top Gear Adanoids voice) "That's the wrong kind of grey for a detector van." and run off.

The Kirby Stephen layout at Warley this year had one.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

Road vehicles that ALWAYS have the front wheels straight!

The vehicles behind are on a car sales lot - they usually have their wheels straight....... :blum:

Another cliche - the white van is parked on the pavement.

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Guest jim s-w
Road vehicles that ALWAYS have the front wheels straight!

The wheels at an angle thing IS a cliche! Unless a vehicle is in a curve the wheels usually are straight. People tend to straighten them up when parking and most road curves are gentle enough that they don't look angled. Next time you go to the supermarket have a look for yourself, wheels at an angle are very much the exception not the norm

Cheers

Jim

• Like 3

The wheels at an angle thing IS a cliche! Unless a vehicle is in a curve the wheels usually are straight. People tend to straighten them up when parking and most road curves are gentle enough that they don't look angled. Next time you go to the supermarket have a look for yourself, wheels at an angle are very much the exception not the norm

Cheers

Jim

Maybe for post 70s, but when my father was learning to drive in the late 60s (we came late to automobilia) he was taught to park with his front wheels angled so that if the hand brake failed the car would "roll into the curb" (I also dimly recall he had to put the car into first when turning off the ignition - but I'm probably wrong). I vaguely recall reading that driving practices in the 60s had not changed much since the 30s and are (were?) very different to today's practices.

Someone once said that a stereotype (and by extension the cliche [the overused stereotype]) is a convenient communications shorthand for quickly and effectively describing something the reader/viewer/audience is familiar with (whether or not that familiarity is with a real, imagined or ideal something). So, sometimes just describing (or modeling) what IS actually there can seem a cliche - simply because people are so familiar with it.

Cliches can work very well in the right hands (think of Ridley Scott's "Bladerunner" a private eye cliche coupled with sci-fi dystopian cliches created a masterpiece).

I think that what we often see is a copying of cliches

• Like 1

Guest jim s-w

Theres so many things that have changed over the years, modern drivers don't seem to switch their main headlights off when waiting on the wrong side of the road at night any more. My nephew is learning to dive and even only a few years ago when I learnt crossing hands while turning was a huge no no yet he is taught to do it.

There seems to be a drop off in young drivers using seat belts too which I don't really get.

Funny you mention bladerunner as it has all the ingredients I like and yet I just don't like it at all.

Cheers

Jim

Maybe for post 70s, but when my father was learning to drive in the late 60s (we came late to automobilia) he was taught to park with his front wheels angled so that if the hand brake failed the car would "roll into the curb" (I also dimly recall he had to put the car into first when turning off the ignition - but I'm probably wrong). I vaguely recall reading that driving practices in the 60s had not changed much since the 30s and are (were?) very different to today's practices.

I always do this when I'm parked on a hill! And always leave the car in gear too - common sense surely?

iD may well have a point here, those to me look like practices (like slowing down on the gears) that were born of a time when car brakes weren't as reliable.

Nowadays with power steering, it's much easier to straighten up as Jim suggests, once settled into a space and if your manouevring doesnt do it for you. I'd say the majority of cars that do exhibit turned wheels these days are ones that have been driven forwards into a car park space with nothing on one side.

Theres so many things that have changed over the years, modern drivers don't seem to switch their main headlights off when waiting on the wrong side of the road at night any more.

Jim

In parts of Germany these days you do not stop on the wrong side of the road. It's almost as serious an offence as growing the wrong flowers in your window box.

Cliche on a modern German layout.

Car with UK registration parked on the wrong side of the road?

Bernard

One of the interesting things about the USA too is that it is ingrained into drivers to park on the right side of the road. The other, and I've mentioned this before, is that Police treat edging through a Stop sign (without coming to a complete halt) on a junction gets the same wrath as passing through a red light.

Best, Pete

And always leave the car in gear too - common sense surely?

I have no choice, see my sig'.

Going back to business names. I avoid the puns and go for names of real businesses that have had my trade over the years, or take them from favourite TV series, ie; Black Books, Greybridge School(Ripping Yarns:Tompkinson's Schooldays) The National Cheese Emporium (Monty Python)

Edited by JZ

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

Something I see a lot on MI layouts is pairs of 20's with one of each type - Headcode box + Headcode disk. Just as likely to see both the same as a mix but not (it seems) on model railways

Cheers

Jim

Edited by jim s-w

• RMweb Premium

Funny you mention bladerunner as it has all the ingredients I like and yet I just don't like it at all.

Cheers

Jim

Ah, but did you get the twist? One rather subtle clue but when you know it and spot it, it changes the film somewhat :)

• RMweb Premium

I completely missed it; read about it in Q magazine years ago and ended up having to watch it twice more until I got the clue.

Anyway, sorry for the off-topic conversation