Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Cliches on layouts

TIC - One type of layout that doesn't seem to have become a cliche is the Treacle Mine private siding, although I seem to recall there was one some decades ago. If one more appears it will be cliche :lol:

Looking through some of the early 'Railway Magazine' for 1897 - 1899, there are some interesting articles on how the railways worked certain traffic, including brick works, Jam and Broccoli. I suppose Jam is not that far removed from Treacle.... and weren't there some Molasses Tank wagons??

I had thought of doing a LNWR BLT many years ago, about the same time as Dave Pennington did his delightful Stanmore, I was surprised to find there were very few BLT's on the LNWR worth modelling, considering the size of the LNWR, that is compared with say the post-grouping GWR BLT's - in my opinion... :O .

TIC - One type of layout that doesn't seem to have become a cliche is the Treacle Mine private siding, although I seem to recall there was one some decades ago. If one more appears it will be cliche :lol:

One?

I thought that Sabden had been done to death. It certainly would have been a cliche at one time, but I suppose that nowadays it would be termed original.

Bernard

I was surprised to find there were very few BLT's on the LNWR worth modelling,
I suspect your are right. Trouble is the LNWR and LYR were in the wrong places......Muck and mills and nothing holiday-ish about them at all. The MR seemed to fare much better and Dave Jenkinson gave this railway a good airing.

The GWR BLT has everything going for it.......Green engines, choc & cream coaches, neat stations in out of the way places. Most of us had to travel out of the doom & gloom towns and cities to visit them so that was an added attraction. No doubt the GWR in Birmingham was nowhere near as attractive...:)

• Like 2

Sheets should always have been put on in such a way as to present a convex aspect to any rain that happened to fall on them, so that it would run off. And loads should have been packed in such a way as to ensure that this was possible.

Many of the Opens are sheeted, and a good number of these have the sheets curving downwards in a concave fashion. The angle of the photo means that it is only possible to look to the "bottom" of these drooping sheets on one of the Opens near the front, but this does seem to me to have a pool of water in it. Judging by the similar arrangement of the tarpaulins on other wagons in the sidings, I would guess these also have it.

Somebody with a little knowledge of physics (not me) will be able to find the theory that states that it's impossible to pull a piece of string perfectly taut, and I'd suggest that the same principle applies to pulling a heavy sheet perfectly taut over wagon sides. As for the idea of arranging the load in order to raise the sheet, I'd suspect there were many occasions when that just wasn't possible.

Having waded through this thread all I can say is there is just about an example for everything, going through what I have seen posted as cliches.

The station / village I am modelling (in 1940), However when the station was upgraded around 1904 it had a population of 542.

It had , a single road engine shed, with water tower

A Single road goods shed

A weighbridge (with office),

A turntable.

Two signal boxes,

Another water tower

A covered lattice footbridge (al La Ratio),

Two road bridges crossing the railway, neatly handy for scenic breaks,

A branch line heading off through a cutting, for a couple of miles to it's terminus,

An overlarge Hotel next to the station, which never really made a profit.

A field next to the track on which the fair arrived every autumn ( I attended in the sixties)

Across that field is a 13th century flint church next to the small school, not far from the war memorial,

A tin tabernacle (actually a double unit which I attended),

Alongside the station was a coal yard (owned by my family) nearby there were two more.

It was GWR after 1923, though in itself a though line, not a branch until Beeching.

Pactically though the only thing not a cliche, is that I am not compressing the layout, I'm just going to model all 16 acres showing the huge platforms in all their windswept glory.

• RMweb Premium

I remember when we started to get half decent OO scale (or thereabouts) models of 1970's cars all of a sudden every modern image layout sprouted at least one red Ford Capri with the matt black bonnet. I am ashamed to say my layout quickly acquired two of them!!

Ah - but that's the point. The pool of water in the tarpaulin wasn't everyday. In fact, it was so uneveryday as to be non-existent (and let them as says otherwise produce a photograph or two to prove it!)

Never say never. On the Great Eastern (where else?), the practice of 'hollow sheeting' was done on purpose during long dry spells. In his autobiography, Fenland Railwaymen (Routledge & Kegan Paul Ltd 1968), Arthur Randell recounted:

We now have a main water supply at Waldersea Siding, but when I first came to live here we had to use cisterns for catching any rain water that fell. During a long dry spell we often ran out of water, so a supply was sent to us from Wisbech in old engine tenders which were put opposite the railway cottages so that the water could be run through canvas pipes into our cisterns. The water was not very clean - it sometimes had a dead bird in it or little wriggling creatures - but as our cisterns already housed a few worms and snails we took no notice. Each house had a charcoal filter and once the water had passed through this it was as clear as gin. Sometimes it took a few days for the tenders to come along with our supplies so, in the meantime, we would fill baths and buckets from wagons which came from Wisbech where they had been “hollow sheeted†by the tying of new tarpaulin sheets over the top with a shallow depression left in the centre, This was filled with water, so when the engine brought the wagon along we only had to fill our buckets and empty them into the cisterns. The water tasted strongly of tar from the sheets, but it seemed to do us no harm - certainly none of us down here at Waldersea ailed very much.

Edit: which is probably so infrequently modelled it couldn't possibly be a cliché.

• Like 1

Treacle mine ? - Bet nobody has modelled the Jam Butty mines in Knotty Ash (at the side of the Cheshire Lines dock branch) !!!

LNWR and LYR were in the wrong places......Muck and mills and nothing holiday-ish about them at all

LNWR North Wales coast, Cumbria, Peak District etc

LYR Southport Blackpool,

And OF COURSE they BOTH (together with the GC) served sunny WIGAN !!

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

Somebody with a little knowledge of physics (not me) will be able to find the theory that states that it's impossible to pull a piece of string perfectly taut

I've heard of that one - I think it's called ... string theory? B)

• Like 1

LNWR North Wales coast, Cumbria, Peak District etc

LYR Southport Blackpool,

Yeh, I'd forgotten about North Wales.:D Neat BLT's existed at Amlwch, Bethesda, er....I've run out.

Blaenau Ffestiniog a neat BLT? Too sprawling with all that narrow gauge stuff. Corwen wasnt really a dead end. Blackpool a nice little BLT? Southport a holiday resort? Peak District, well now you're talking....... But no BLT's immedietly drip off my lips.

• RMweb Gold

I suppose it will depend on how long you wait. And if its likely to be a long time it might be better to have two on the bridge.

:D

G.

or if "there haven't been any for ages" then you'd need 3 for a proper cliche! :lol:

as for model railways based on real places the number of times I've read 'Ashburton'- as a small space terminus article in the modelling press, does that mean real locations can become cliches? :blink:

Guest jim s-w

or if "there haven't been any for ages" then you'd need 3 for a proper cliche! :lol:

Bridge - Check

3 buses - check

:D :D

brummy%20vehicles.jpg

Cheers

Jim

In realty there should be more!

• Like 1

Somebody with a little knowledge of physics (not me) will be able to find the theory that states that it's impossible to pull a piece of string perfectly taut

I've heard of that one - I think it's called ... string theory? B)

Sounds like tautology to me...

• RMweb Gold

Bridge - Check

3 buses - check

In realty there should be more!

Took one look at the pic - and knew where it was, despite not having seen the identity of the poster, but having run the gauntlet of the traffic there on way back from Stanier House, Quayside Tower, Mail Box, etc., etc.. Does that make it a cliche for me? Of course not. Good modelling will always get my vote. This really is one of RMWeb's more circular threads!

Bridge - Check

3 buses - check

brummy%20vehicles.jpg

Cheers

Jim

I know I really should wear corrective eyewear (I even have an unfilled prescription) but is that a horse on the platform to the right of the picture?

I don't know what I would call that, but that's not a cliché!

Sorry Jim, that pic fails the cliche test. You have a postal van without a black & white cat visible in the window. :lol:

You have also omitted a Tardis, Dalek, Trotters Independent Trading Van, Grim Reaper, run-over "The End is Nigh" man, any emergency service vehicles with flashing lights, etc etc etc...

Cliche test *Fail* :rolleyes: :P :D