Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

Hi Ron,

First I note that you haven't posted in a while. Hope everything is ok?

I have spent the last two days reading through this outstanding thread. It's raised the bar miles above what I previously thought possible, and it is incredibly what you have been able to achieve. Indeed after seeing the buildings, I have decided to not use any RTR buildings and a minimum of kit buildings on my layout, and have also gone and put more flowing trackwork in the plan! Although I doubt I can get anywhere near the skill level you do! It's certainly made me do a rethink of how I'm going to do my layout, and if I can get mine anywhere near the amount of detail yours has (even though not trains are running yet!) I will be incredibly happy!

*mutters incoherently... i am not worthy.... i am not worthy...*

Hope all is well and look forward to some updates soon!

Astonished and amazed,

Peter

Edit: Oh, and I doubt you could hear it... But my jaw just created a 10m deep hole in the kitchen floor!

Hi, Peter

No health issues other than being very busy on other matters

I have noticed over the last few days that you were into a marathon read of this topic. Glad to see you have come out this end in a coherent fashion - Many thanks for all your comments, they are much appreciated

My layout build has stalled a little whilst I have been undertaking a commission build of a number of bridges, viaducts, stations and numerous other railway related buildings, which came out of the blue in early April. Details will be posted when the project manager gives his go ahead for a topic on their layout. It will probably be another couple of months before I can get back to my own layout build

You can guess from this topic that if you need any advice on your projected layout, I and many others are here to help, just ask

Cheers

Ron

• Like 6

Maybe he's trying to get everything done before Brexit takes effect?  :jester:

I thought that with all the scaremongering going on that WW3 was taking place - £ / € is still above 1.06 which it was when I moved over to Spain almost seven years ago - The food and drink is still cheaper than the equivalent in the UK

The only problem I foresee is that the price of Evergreen Styrene will shoot up in the short term - but there are ways of getting round that

Oh, I nearly forgot - I ordered my new car in early June on a fixed price - delivery October

Ron

• Like 4

Or perhaps its too hot to do anything but sit in the shade and drink Sangria   :jester:

Almost right. Definitely in the shade, always when I am modelling. Only drink Gaseosa (Spanish tasteless lemonade) with Lime juice (Juicee) during the day - I can go crossed eyed without alcohol

Ron

Almost right. Definitely in the shade, always when I am modelling. Only drink Gaseosa (Spanish tasteless lemonade) with Lime juice (Juicee) during the day - I can go crossed eyed without alcohol

Ron

Typo or an admission?  If the latter you must have been drinking heavily for the past couple of years!

Typo or an admission?  If the latter you must have been drinking heavily for the past couple of years!

No just wearing modelling glasses for long periods, and still having to squint to focus on some small detail

Gave up drinking shortly after coming to Spain, as it was too easy to over do it. It's cheap and there is a lot of sun. Not good for your health or modelling

Cheers  :drink_mini: - Ooops

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am still here and health is OK

As previously advised at the end of May I am involved in a very large commission which involves the build of some 60 HO scale model structures associated with the highland railways in Sri Lanka. This is taking all my spare time

The first batch of fifteen plus models will be completed by mid-December - four viaducts, one bridge, eight stations with goods sheds, one bus terminal and a church. All built in styrene - of course

Hopefully, with the commissioner's permission I will post in a relevant thread - Link now in my Signature

There should be a short interlude after Mid-December, before taking on the next batch, when I may be able to restart my layout again

Cheers

Ron

Edited by Ron Heggs
  • Like 5

Ron-where have you been?  We need inspiration!

Very interested to hear that you are modelling Sri Lanka railways.  A few years ago we took a bus from Gaul to Columbo, and remarked on the pristine state of the railway and rail infrastructure alongside the road.  We had forgotten about the recent tsunami.

• RMweb Gold

I am still here and health is OK

As previously advised at the end of May I am involved in a very large commission which involves the build of some 60 HO scale model structures associated with the highland railways in Sri Lanka. This is taking all my spare time

The first batch of fifteen plus models will be completed by mid-December - four viaducts, one bridge, eight stations with goods sheds, one bus terminal and a church. All built in styrene - of course

Hopefully, with the commissioner's permission I will post in a relevant thread 

There should be a short interlude after Mid-December, before taking on the next batch, when I may be able to restart my layout again

Cheers

Ron

Very glad to hear from you Ron, sorry, I must have missed your announcement in May.

Al.

Ron,

60 models it is almost mood October at your rate of building we would have expected you to have finished by now what are you doing with your spare time

Seriously though Ron just had a quick look at the other thread once again a,aging looking structures

Ron

Would be very nice if we could see what you are doing as quality workmanship is always admired, good to hear you are well and enjoying life and I expect a change of direction from your normal modelling activities is a pleasant distraction (for the want of a better word)   

Ron

Would be very nice if we could see what you are doing as quality workmanship is always admired, good to hear you are well and enjoying life and I expect a change of direction from your normal modelling activities is a pleasant distraction (for the want of a better word)   

Will see if I have enough time to get the camera out, in between breaths. I am bobbing about a bit between models trying to keep them all at the same stages of build, etc.

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

60 models it is almost mood October at your rate of building we would have expected you to have finished by now what are you doing with your spare time

Seriously though Ron just had a quick look at the other thread once again a,aging looking structures

Mood October? I'm with you. I get quite grumpy this time of year, as the nights start to draw in!

I've also really enjoyed the progress so far on the Sri Lankan models over at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115806-scratch-built-ho-models-for-sri-lankan-railways/ , but I'm definitely looking forward to more progress on the Castlefield side of things when time allows.

Ron Just noticed the mistake in this message should have said

just had a quick look at the other thread and once again amazing looking structures

• 1 month later...

Ron, please forgive me if this has been covered but 128 pages take a lot of reading!

Whenever I build structres using small sections of polystyrene they warp eventually. I use MEK (the real thing bought from a checial supplier). I wonder how you avoid this and what solvent or glue you use?

Thanks for producing such inspiring modelling.

Ian

Ron, please forgive me if this has been covered but 128 pages take a lot of reading!

Whenever I build structres using small sections of polystyrene they warp eventually. I use MEK (the real thing bought from a checial supplier). I wonder how you avoid this and what solvent or glue you use?

Thanks for producing such inspiring modelling.

Ian

Hi, Ian

Using any type of adhesive which has a solvent in its formula will cause some tendency to warp especially with small section styrene. The only occasion when this does not happen is with butt jointing sections or sheets. The solvent first softens the two joint surfaces and subsequent drying and solidifying causes the joint surfaces to shrink, and creates warping, Sometimes flooding the joint will cause excessive warping, and on occasion controls the warping by shrinking the whole of the two sections more or less uniformly. This method is not to be recommended, as the styrene can lose all its form and strength 

An example is making handrails from 20thou rod. If you attach the handrail to one side of a post using a small brush stroke of solvent, warping will occur along the complete length. If the handrail is attached to the posts with say Cynoacrylate then very little, if any, warping will occur

Depending on the structures the warping can be controlled by counter positioned joints and clamping in small jigs

Ron

Hi, Ian

Using any type of adhesive which has a solvent in its formula will cause some tendency to warp especially with small section styrene. The only occasion when this does not happen is with butt jointing sections or sheets. The solvent first softens the two joint surfaces and subsequent drying and solidifying causes the joint surfaces to shrink, and creates warping, Sometimes flooding the joint will cause excessive warping, and on occasion controls the warping by shrinking the whole of the two sections more or less uniformly. This method is not to be recommended, as the styrene can lose all its form and strength 

An example is making handrails from 20thou rod. If you attach the handrail to one side of a post using a small brush stroke of solvent, warping will occur along the complete length. If the handrail is attached to the posts with say Cynoacrylate then very little, if any, warping will occur

Depending on the structures the warping can be controlled by counter positioned joints and clamping in small jigs

Ron

Many thanks, Ron. I'm glad you have the same problems with MEK as we mortals. :scratchhead:

One other question: I see no track in any of the pictures I've so far perused, neither in this thread nor your gallery , mind I haven't seen all the photos yet - life intrudes...

So, what scale/gauge are you working to?

Ian

• 3 weeks later...