Glasgow Queen Street '88

DavidM

...and one that's been through photoshop....but only to up the contrast a bit and add some sky!

post-7341-0-66788300-1320356416_thumb.jpg

(EDIT - Looks like we're on page 7 - check out the bottom of the previous page for a few more shots from last night)

Dave

Howdo all, sorry for the lack of gen this week but the GQS team have been snowed under with work behind the scenes, well to be honest we have been having a clean up at the club rooms and re joining the fiddle yard,

But there has been some progress modelling wise,

Dave W was carrying on with the Ops Depot fitting lights and such,

While Dave M and I have been arranging the fiddle yard so we know where all the stock is suppost to end up :)

Tomorrow Dave M,Flex and myself are going up to the club with att the stock again to have a good playing sesh so we will post some pics up when we get back

Ta for now

Chris W

...and one that's been through photoshop....but only to up the contrast a bit and add some sky!

post-7341-0-66788300-1320356416_thumb.jpg

Dave

Dave,

I hope you don't mind this one from a slightly earlier (1983) shot , but your pic above reminded me of it -(can you get DCC steam heat ?) :O

37111,27103 Mar 1983

post-1161-0-62774900-1321130857.jpg.

Howdo all,

thanks for the photo Derek, you jest about steam heat... WE have/are looking at possibilities of fitting a small smoke unit in the od guards comp... but the problem is most/all steam heat boilers were stripped out by '88

ta for now,

Chris W

Yep, steam heat is sadly out of the remit for GQS (although we have pondered about how to do it over a pint a few times...!) as IIRC it was last seen in 1987....ironically at GQS with 37260 if i'm correct?

As Chris says, the team spent this weekend and the previous week tidying up the area around GQS now it's been returned to it's permanent place and reattached to it's fiddleyards, so work on the scenics can return in earnst - i've got seven platform faces worth of edging to sort! :-(

A quick shot from yesterday - took a quick break from deciphering carriage rakes to take this snap...the sun was shining just right!

post-7341-0-03079700-1321274379_thumb.jpg

Dave

Howdo, the retaining wall is made from Slaters 7mm dressed stone, and yeah the bridge in the above photo is the bridge in the distance of dereks photos,

We used slaters 7mm dressed stone, as its near enough perfect compared to the real stones

Ta for now

Chris W

Hi all,

Love the idea of doing steam heat. What about small holes in the baseboard you could have it piped up through the track in certain spots, and have it coming up between loco and coaches etc.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-54563700-1321441867.jpg

Hi Peter,

A cracking idea...one I hadn't thought of!....but GQS is just after the steam heat era :( However i'll try and predict this weeks Euromillions numbers and GQS 1981 will be come a reality... :biggrin_mini2:

Until then, we'll have to rely on ETH locos...and the occasional no heat turn...

post-7341-0-27916900-1321453707.jpg

post-7341-0-62910100-1321453709.jpg

post-7341-0-11707600-1321453714.jpg

post-7341-0-93090600-1321453715.jpg

post-7341-0-64148900-1321453718.jpg

Dave

Chris,

Coming along very nicely, but someones got a lot of weathering to do on those walls - see post 73

I have to agree with Derek, it's not grimy enough, lol!

Having said that, I love this thread, although my greatest memories of Queen Street was of our family holiday departures to Mallaig for the ship to Stornoway when I was wee. My Secondary School was a bit further along Cathedral Street and when I headed to/from Central for the train I invariably went via Queen Street, but 6th year ended in 1977 and all this modern image stuff, pfff...............

In those days you could find a station with nothing in it at times, all platforms empty, as well as the busier spells with lots of 27s, 40s, sleepers, etc, compare to today's wall to wall 170s (a totally unsuitable MU for express inter city trains in my opinion). The class 47/Mk3 push pull trains were the best trains ever on the Glasgow/Edinburgh run, replacing them with 158s was a scandal, 170s not much better, although the 15 min service interval is a improvement.

Maybe I'm getting old....

:no:

Angus

As already said folks the walls are still in pretty much undercoat stage, theres hours worth of work yet to be done to ge them anywhere near what we would like! but thanks for all the good comments, it feels like we are actually gettign it right :D

This weeks update is just really about carriages :cray_mini: the Ness rakes seemed to have MK2 C's diagramed for them.... Now guess what isnt available... yeah 2c's so this has led the team to much brain ache over the last week on how we can get some 2C's other than the southern pride ones kits which are a last resort!

What we have decided to do is use the Lima 2A like carriage and bash it, with the change of toilet windows, bashing to the roof and a bachy chassis under it i think we may be onto a winner! so im of to a local model shop tomorrow to pick a few up and start cracking! Oh aswell as a new chassis, we are adding flush windows, and using the bachy FK interia for ease of life and detail :scratchhead: so ill update you in a few days with some progress!

ta for now

Chris W

Well done guys

Even if you filled every inch with 50's and 33's it would still be instantly recognisable as Glasgow Queen Street.

You have nailed this

Been lurking on this thread since start - nice to see it moving at a good pace now

Hope to see it on the circuit some day - pretty sure the various Scottish shows will be fighting to book this

Stuart

Chris,

Just checking it's a spelling mistake mate - it's the Lima MKII B you need fpr the donor vehicle, not an A ( wrap around doors at the ends etc etc )...........

Don't worry Andy - they're definately B's....although Chris seems to think otherwise :whistle:

Howdo pete, the carriage looks stunning I'm guessing its modeled on the earlier version of the C's

Dave M and I started work in full on the C's last night by removing the old lima chassis' ready for the bachy ones and also painting the interias ready for people and placing in the carriages (yes we are that sad were painting the interias, it adds to the whole effect) now we are just waiting for the shipment of bachy MK2's to arrive so we can re chassis them!

Also a quick plea has anyone on here got drawings of the underframes? As I haven't and am going to need them soon! Can anyone help?

Ta for now

Chris W

Hi Chris,

When I first did the coach I wasn't aware of different versions, but if you mean the different toilet window arrangement I didn't know about it until later, the MKc FO in the pic has the changed window.

Cheers Peter.

They look ace Peter! Just a shame there stook in Aus! :P means they can't find there way to GQS

Quick updat on ours! Dave M and I have spent the day painting interias and people :'( it hurts now I think my mind has turned to mush! Does anybody actually look in these things? I HOPE SO this effort we put in :) but least it finnishes the effect to the layout when its out!

Ta for now

Chris W

They look ace Peter! Just a shame there stook in Aus! :P means they can't find there way to GQS

Quick updat on ours! Dave M and I have spent the day painting interias and people :'( it hurts now I think my mind has turned to mush! Does anybody actually look in these things? I HOPE SO this effort we put in :) but least it finnishes the effect to the layout when its out!

Ta for now

Chris W

If you think that's bad, I spent parts of yesterday recreating the paintings inside Mk2 compos... Is that pushing anal a bit too far? :D

Archived