Glasgow Queen Street '88

DavidM

How is 47594 in Metals sector livery coming along?

Would I be right in assuming that the kingfishers were added at Thornaby later? I cannot find any photos of it in Metals livery before it was transferred to Thornaby. If you know of any, I would be most interested to see them.

Cheers.

Ian

Howdo Ian

47 594 is coming on a treat! Dave M, Flex and I are off to Wigan this weekend to pick up a few bits from ShawPlan including MK3 lazerglaze, Mk 2 c glazing and transfers! which are for 594

So she Might be about next week for the photographers and cranks amoung us.. we will try and get some gen on when she is released on a Pax diagram :D theres a poss she will be on a QS-IS working made from Mk 2C's and A's

Ta for now

Chris W

• 4 weeks later...

Just before Rmweb went off 'ThaneofFife' posted this;

ThaneofFife has just posted a reply to a topic that you have subscribed to titled "Glasgow Queen Street '88".

----------------------------------------------------------------------

just gone through all 8 pages and i think this layout is going to be first rate. Lots of activity and variety.

couple of things;- the sort of trestle type bridge just beyond the platform ends. does anybody know what this was for?

it has no floor to walk across and even if it did the ends just run straight into the walls on each side! was it an old signal gantry?

also the smaller tunnel mouth. i know 2 sidings ended here as mini headshunts but i wonder why they bothered building another tunnel mouth and one that was only 2/3 of the width?

if space were not at a premium how good would it be to have a scale length Cowlairs tunnel complete with the crossovers and tunnel lights at the QS end? Be great to watch as trains entered and then descended to GQS or thrash out up the incline perhaps with bankers......

The trestle type bridge (see http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=20742) was the base for the Queen Street signalbox - which originally sat on top of it. Ahead of it - towards the George Square end, there was the similarly massive signal gantry that ran from one side of the cutting to the other. There's plenty of pictures of the old arrangement here http://urbanglasgow...._t__t_2757.html

The remains of the signal gantry can be seen here http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=36539

• 2 weeks later...

Howdo all,

Not much to report of sadly as the last month or so has been spent shifting the layout! As we at LYDCC have just moved... a floor down from where we were (but to bigger club rooms)

The progress has been really slow but 47475 will be happy as 594 has now rolled out of the work shops! in 3TG with metals branding and a light dust of muck added!

Also we have started the final stages of the platform tops! for this we are using Geoscenics finest dust powder and it is working a treat! once we have put all the man hole covers and drain cover in place we can continue and get the tops fully coated!

We have also now purchased the rest of the differnt types of plastic card to complete the edges of the platforms so these will also start to be being put in in the next few weeks!

Other wise work will commence again on wednesday now that all our tools and such have been shifted we can crack on with the layout propperly now.

On a whole the project isnt that far from completion in reallity but we have ALOT of fine detailing work to do yet to get it right :scratchhead:

ta for now

Chris W

Howdo all,

A quick photo of 594 to wet the appitite! She isnt quite finnished as she needs a slight covering of dust adding again as im still not happy with the dirt and she needs her tanks changing to battery boxes! but this will have to wait while funds permit :scratchhead:

post-1189-0-93676600-1326458434.jpg

Ta for now

Chris W

A quick photo of 594 to wet the appitite! She isnt quite finnished as she needs a slight covering of dust adding again as im still not happy with the dirt and she needs her tanks changing to battery boxes! but this will have to wait while funds permit

Very nice to finally see '594!

Are there any photos anywhere of her whilst still based at HA in Metals livery? I am thinking of adding this machine to my small N gauge fleet and fancied depicting her 1988 ex-works/repaint.

I also just want to be 100% sure there were no kingfishers before she transferred to TE (although I'm 99.5% sure another depot wouldn't have had these).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I've only ever seen one photo of her working an Inverness - GQS train just after her repaint. Unfortunately the photo disappeared with the demise of fotopic but she had no kingfishers or other thornaby regalia on her after the repaint.

GQS news - we've finally cracked the platform tops issue! After several experiments with plasticoat suede, paint, different forms of plasticard and several other methods - which also resulted in warping and bending of plastic - we've settled with using a very fine ballast to represent the platform surfaces.

Although my phone doesn't quite show the full details, the effect looks spot on for platform tops and will hopefully look even better with a quick wash with a darker colour....

post-7341-0-43275000-1327873418.jpg

Dave

Howdo all as you can see from above we are slowly getting back round to crackin g on with the layout again,

We are currently on with the platform tops as mentioned by Dave and they are looking ace! in the coming week we are fitting the rest of the tops i n and ballasting them too, we are also going to crack on with the retaininf wall colour and details

Also i have put and appeal out for someone in the know to let me know where i can obtain drawings/ sizes of the colour light signals as im going to be scratch building these in the coming weeks so if anyone has any info please let me know it would be a huge help

ta for now

Chris W

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

3 of the 4 GQS members were down at the club yesterday, and we put in a considerable amount off effort on the layout,

The concourse is now pretty much measured and ready to build,

all the platform tops are now on bar platform 2 which is waiting for the buildings to go in,

there were progress on the Dundas Street shops being placed with one front left to put in

The plans for the colour light signals are being drawn up.

The retaining walls have had what MAYBE the final colour!!!!! but we will have to see!

And supports have been added to the bottom of the road bridges and to stop them warping while i start the fronts :D

From memory thats all we have gotten up to so far but we are carrying on in the next few days.

Ta for now

Chris W

This is one impressive layout! On a Yahoo group there was a link to the Flikr website where there is some pics of Queen street!

http://www.flickr.co...57627766457597/

There is a few more just keep pressing next! There is some of Queen street before the modern ticket gates!

and if ya don't want to keep flicking through to the other ones!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35274650@N05/6253633536/in/set-72157627766457597/

There is some of Glasgow Central in the Steam era

They are brilliant pics Ian, its a while since we have done a full net trawl for pics! Trust me the hours we have spent looking... 30 odd pages of google and a couple more on fotopic and so on

Thanks for the links there's again some little details on them that we hadn't seen in other photos :)

Ta for now

Chris W

Hi All,

Here's tonights phots as promised by Chris. Quite a bit of work has gone into the layout lately as can hopefully be seen!

I've mainly been cracking on with the retaining walls which have recieved a few more layers of grime and grot. I don't think they're 'quite there' just yet but we're a lot closer than we were - I think the exact colours we require are very subjective dependant on year, season and lighting conditions so there's several examples of a 'that's right' depending on which photos you look at!

We've also sourced a new tunnel mouth which has been put into place, although it needs filling and painting to match the rest of the walls yet....another job for Wednesday evening! :)

Chris has been doing some further work on both road bridges - although the completion of these is quite far down the line, both now have several balsa supports underneath to help their rigidity for when they're detailed and completed. Chris has also fleshed out more of the platforms - considering the several attempts we've had, we're really chuffed to have finally landed on our feet with these!

We also had a visit from GQS's Derby Area Group ( :P ) with Flex beginning preparation work on the concourse buildings which will be started on shortly. If anyone has any detailed photos of these, they'd be much appreciated. The information we've sourced is mainly from the rears of photos where the concourse is not the main focus, and although we feel we've got enough to go on, it'd definately be a great help if anyone has any snaps - if anyone out there by chance pointed their camera away from 37xxx's and Shove Sets for a minute while on the station that is!

Anyway, on with the photos....

Dave

post-7341-0-07669600-1329075062_thumb.jpg

post-7341-0-71471400-1329075056.jpg

post-7341-0-40317200-1329075059.jpg

post-7341-0-43547400-1329075054.jpg

:clapping_mini: Now we're talking...... all of a sudden with the walls getting done it really starts to look great, not that it didn't before but I always feel a visit to GQS both old and new was always dominated by the big dark overpowering retaining walls, that and the roof always seem to stand out.

Great stuff, think you now are starting to get the real feel of GQS now....

thanks for the kind words Millerhillboy, the team are really stepping up a gear now so we can have the layout potentially finnished for the end of this year (if its done by the dead line of Dec 31 or not it doesnt really matter it has a few more months before its potential first show!)

Being as we share the same rooms as the brill layout of HolcombeBrook And Tottington while Petes back was turned and in a comedy style Dave M and i snook up and stole the lighting rig off the holcombrook part :D luckly it fits perfect on GQS, just the right size and height! so dont tell Pete, or if he asks it was allways there.... (he knows really) ill throw a pic up of more layout works done and the lighting rigg we borrowed later and im sure youll all agree it improves the layouts apperance tenfold

Reet thats all for now

Chris W

Another small step forward tonight,

Dave M was on with filling and painting in the new tunnel mouth, which is now looking really good,

Dave W has made a start on the concourse buildings, starting with the Clyde Bar which is now nearly finnished

And i have been on with digging out photos for the concrete sectons of the lines that are over GQS lower lev

when I get the time I'll throw some pics up unless Dave M beats me to it

Ta for now

Chris W

Hi Carl we still havent fully decided what we are going to do yet regarding the overall roof! But as soon as we have we will post it up on the thread!

Just to let you all see the very early stages of the Clyde Bar, so let us know what you all think. It is still along way off being finnished! We are doing the concourse shops in differnt sections for the ease of life! which is why its sat there on its own.

post-1189-0-91649200-1329390922.jpg

Ta for now

Chris W

In 88 was there not still a Casey Jones Burger Bar on the concourse?

78/79 I was a student and often in the Clyde Bar on a Friday night as my mate waited for the last train to Crainlarich, if his girlfriend and I were both still there he wouldn't get on it unless one of us left first, lol!... I've pics somewhere of the 3 of us if you want to really get the detail right?...

Angus

Howdo Angus,

You have a PM! as regards to the Casey Jones BurgerBar our photos and resources show that it was a Whimpy but if anyone out there or yourself can show owt differnt we would really appreciate it!

Ta for now

Chris W

Chris,

I'll try to find my photos, but as far as Casey Jones (which was a BR Travellers Fare brand) goes, I'm not sure when it replaced the Travellers Fare restaurant, and in turn was replaced by Burger King (I don't ever think it was a Wimpey) but it was there in 84 and still there in 92, video proof here:-

http://youtu.be/aQKi_Hbn9UY

in the last ever episode of Glen Michael's Cavalcade, taking a trip on a Scotrail Santa special from Glasgow Queen Street (lower). Travellers Fare was privatised in 88, so it is/was topical, sort of!

The things you find to Google when the TV is naff..........

Angus

PS You probably have to be of a certain age to appreciate Glen Michael's Cavalcade, but it was compulsory TV in central Scotland once upon a time!

PPS You'll also catch a glimpse of the Clyde Bar....

Howdo Angus,

You have a PM! as regards to the Casey Jones BurgerBar our photos and resources show that it was a Whimpy but if anyone out there or yourself can show owt differnt we would really appreciate it!

Ta for now

Chris W

Definitely a Casey Jones on QS September 88. No photos, but I was on a Scottish Rover during that month and remember grabbing quick breakfasts from there after getting off the overnight service from Inverness. The mornings were cold; I must have been half starved, and for some reason I've always remembered the Casey Jones name.

Archived