The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Murphy this morring have dug up the pavment

mozzer models

Murphy's Have this morring dug up the pavment outside my house part way across my drive

the same blocs were here yestoday digging the other side of the road & sow me go in & out with the Car today i go out on foot to the local model shop to get home to find the hole to get the car out i will have to drive right on the edge to get out

Why did they not say any thing yestoday Or put a note throw the Door asking me to move the car before the dug the hole

when i got back the men have packed up & gone

Tomorrow = payback: park the car over their hole and go out for a walk.

I know it's not a laughing matter by any stretch of the imagination Brian but your signature made me smile; it makes it sound like RMweb's to blame. biggrin.gif

If they haven't taken the debris away, you could always fill the hole up again! Alternatively, run a hose pipe into it and have an ornamental pond. Try and get hold of a yellow duck just to make the point. If you can't get out with the car, at least you can derive some pleasure watching them bale out the hole.

Steve

If they haven't taken the debris away, you could always fill the hole up again! Alternatively, run a hose pipe into it and have an ornamental pond. Try and get hold of a yellow duck just to make the point. If you can't get out with the car, at least you can derive some pleasure watching them bale out the hole.

Steve

the car is now out but the hole is a bit bigger now :blink: & parked on the street

as the back wheel went pased the hole the nice squre hole side gave way a bit :(

Is there a sign saying who Murphy are working for (gas, electricity etc)? These will often give a contact number, if you ring this there may be an out-of-hours service and it has the added advantage of making Murphy look bad to the people that pay them!

If the hole has partly collapsed is it now dangerous?

Is there a sign saying who Murphy are working for (gas, electricity etc)? These will often give a contact number, if you ring this there may be an out-of-hours service and it has the added advantage of making Murphy look bad to the people that pay them!

It's probably about as useful as those numbers to report bad driving by commercial / PSV drivers - automated or call centre, but nothing really gets done.

• RMweb Gold

Sadly it means nothing, they will quote that service companies have the right to dig up the public highway including crossovers (driveways), a crossover does not give an automatic right to unhindered access.

Sadly too many know this and exploit it for fun.

• RMweb Premium

You should report this to your local highways authority. Any contractors have a 'Duty of care' which means that they should not leave it in such a state or cause any inconvenience. Alternatively phone them up at about one in the morning and tell them someone has fallen into the hole. The ensuing panic can be quite entertaining to watch. I did something similar many years ago when contractors raising the pavements outside my home left the footpath in a dangerous condition over a weekend, I phoned them early on Sunday morning and told them that an elderly lady had tripped on the pavement and been rushed to hospital. The offending pavement was fixed by Sunday lunchtime.

When the workmen come back, tell them that a group of students have dressed up as policemen and have been annoying workmen in the area. Tell them to ignore the fake police.

Next, phone the police to tell them that a group of students dressed as workmen are digging up the pavement outside your house.

Stand back and watch how the police who think the workmen are students deal with the workmen who think the police are students.

Geoff Endacott

Don't attempt to drive past the hole, If you go in your insurer may take a dim view!! Send a letter to Murphy in the form of a bill, the cost of car hire, cost incurred in inconvenience, cancelled family party, trip or holiday etc, etc, and re-assure them that all is well despite the ambulance not being able to get up the drive last night...... and you fully appreciate they will not be able to send a compensation cheque to you by return, but will they in the meantime like to confirm a meeting, time and place, with their manager responsible for the matter, you are prepared to wait till he has assessed the situation and taken advice.before settling the matter....this all worked for me when Virgin did the same thing cabling the street.......

Stephen.

• RMweb Premium

Hi

It must be the day for it. Murphys are filling a hole in in our lane to do with an electricity supply fix. One side of the lane is coned off the other had their lorry parked in it for 20 minutes. The lane is a dead end. No chance of them moving until they had finished so guess who was late for work this morning.

Cheers

Paul

Have you checked with your local authority what conditions the hole digger has to abide by? Might be worth knowing.

I had to have excavations performed to locate a collapsed sewer problem of indeterminate location; might have been on private land or beneath the public footpath, a crossover to another property, or the public road. Such was the extent of the requirements to permit unhindered access and protect the public that it was a good gamble to commence search operations by doing the job sub-optimally in search pattern terms by commencing on the private land (and happily the problem turned out to be confined to that location) than actually beginning where we might have chosen. But it was the very good contractor engaged for the task who gave the real insight; there would have been none of this trouble in several neighbouring authorities, there apparently you can nearly enough do what you like...

It was many years ago but Murphy's were the outfit which put "please use other footpath" signs on both sides of the road when working on London Road bridge in Derby.

And the company I was working for put up some "Welcome to Nottinghamshire" signs on the A52 near Spondon....(which is several miles from the border).

I'd welcome Murphys, Wiltshire Council has taken the big society to heart and has sent us letters informing us that the vegetation at the rear of our properties is overgrown and must be cut back . I don't mind that but as we are on an embankment 6-10ft above the A4 the only safe way to do it is to close the road or at elate one lane. To do that will cost us > 1000pounds as we have to get a licence.

So I just cut back the branches when vehicles weren't passing and those that dropped onto the carriageway I collected after dressed in my Hi Viz and stopped a queue of vehicles for 30 minutes - now thats me done only another 10 properties to do the same

I wouldn't mind but last year they re-surfaced the road and had they told us at the time we could have cleared the branches without any hassle.

expecting more of this as councils try to save money

Colin

• RMweb Premium

I'd welcome Murphys, Wiltshire Council has taken the big society to heart and has sent us letters informing us that the vegetation at the rear of our properties is overgrown and must be cut back . I don't mind that but as we are on an embankment 6-10ft above the A4 the only safe way to do it is to close the road or at elate one lane. To do that will cost us > 1000pounds as we have to get a licence.

So I just cut back the branches when vehicles weren't passing and those that dropped onto the carriageway I collected after dressed in my Hi Viz and stopped a queue of vehicles for 30 minutes - now thats me done only another 10 properties to do the same

I wouldn't mind but last year they re-surfaced the road and had they told us at the time we could have cleared the branches without any hassle.

expecting more of this as councils try to save money

Colin

Ask the council for the risk assessment under health & safety.wink.gif

Archived