A Bullion Van & other storage facilities.

"although Shedmaster may be able to supply pictures if needed ..."

Good evening,

I have just found this thread and would indeed like to offer some help to your project.

I do have a small selection of photo's of the Stewarts Lane Bully van, however, it is different from the Comet kit as it has no windows and different door positions at one end - after conversion by VSOE(?). Details unknown as it is not something I know about.

I cannot confirm the number from my photo's but have included a picture of the depot stock board, maybe it will be obvious to you ? I'm thinking it is 083637 as in image 6437 you can barely make it out at the vehicle end.

This model is of interest to me since the Comet kit release, but the photo's were taken before this and are therefore not particularly detailed or in depth, however I still hope they are of use.

If I can be of any more help please feel free to ask.......

post-7088-0-29887100-1295463225_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-79169500-1295463247_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-71155200-1295463261_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-37228600-1295463276_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-26699700-1295463289_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-68644800-1295463304_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-18612100-1295463317_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-01738100-1295463329_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-59193400-1295463344_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-68000000-1295463357_thumb.jpg

All the best with your project,

Kindest Regards,

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Good evening,

I have just found this thread and would indeed like to offer some help to your project.

I do have a small selection of photo's of the Stewarts Lane Bully van, however, it is different from the Comet kit as it has no windows and different door positions at one end - after conversion by VSOE(?). Details unknown as it is not something I know about.

I cannot confirm the number from my photo's but have included a picture of the depot stock board, maybe it will be obvious to you ? I'm thinking it is 083637 as in image 6437 you can barely make it out at the vehicle end.

This model is of interest to me since the Comet kit release, but the photo's were taken before this and are therefore not particularly detailed or in depth, however I still hope they are of use.

Kindest Regards,

Dave

Wow Dave. Thanks ever so much. I knew there were other 'marks' of BVs from reading Parkin.

Some great detail on your pics - I do love the depot work board; a feast of items of interest!

It would seem it was/is 083637. I notice it has conventional screw link hooks and not buckeyes.

The Comet kit would/could make a very good basis for this version. I can thoroughly recommend this kit; it's a real unusual gem and easy to build (even for me);)

davidw - I have one Thompson Corridor 3rd/2nd just reaching the top of the pile 'to do'. Have you done any?

I've seen a rake of Comets (full kits, not side conversions) on a big layout, in BR Maroon and they look REALLY good behind an A4! I think they were built by some of the Comet Models staff?

Rob - having seen the great pics posted earlier, when she be finished I am going to dig out an old Airfix 31 and a couple of spare Bulleid underframes to 'recreate' the Leeds pic. I might even post a pic of that on here!

In time (ho, ho) I'm going to use the great prototype pics of the BSK underframes link in another earlier posting to build/ modify two of Comet's Mk1 frames and scratch the conts from plassicard. It's not a train I would normally use but I just can't resist the challenge!

How's your 7mm stuff coming along?

Sincerely, Phil @36E

Good evening,

All the best with your project,

Kindest Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave & Mallard,

The Stew Lane Bully Van looks to be exactly the same, except that the 4 windows have at sometime been plated up in a works overhaul.

It is shown on departmentals.com ( http://www.departmentals.com/photo/083637a ) as being converted to an IU stores van and perhaps the plateing over the windows was to make it a lot more secure ??

The Buckeyes were probably removed to save on the exam costs !

HTH

Mike

Hi Mike,

Well spotted mate.......for some insane reason, I thought they had plated the windows and then moved the doors along !!! :rolleyes:

I'm just wondering if this 'detail difference' might be worthy of Mr Comet's attention as a variation on their excellent kit range ?

Would anybody else want one of these conversions ?

Dave

davidw - I have one Thompson Corridor 3rd/2nd just reaching the top of the pile 'to do'. Have you done any?

I've seen a rake of Comets (full kits, not side conversions) on a big layout, in BR Maroon and they look REALLY good behind an A4! I think they were built by some of the Comet Models staff?

No I've resided bachman , with roof mods AKA Tony Wrights method. My concern is the weight of 8 or so coaches behind an RTR loco.

• RMweb Premium

Unlike the loco in my 'Forum title' I am, as you can see, not a record breaker when it comes to progress. Unlike Coachman I take weeks to do what he can do in a session!:O

So, this is the only progress:

some fettling with the underframe bits to strengthen etc. brass buffers fitted (not sprung, just inexpensive ones from S Pride);

the roof pods (clever little etching Mr Comet) and vents in place AND I actually remembered to drill the hole in the toilet filler vent ready for the filler pipes (wire!!) BEFORE gluing in place.

I'll be using a little bit of filler with the roof pods as my fabrication didn't quite get them straight along the side edges (if that's the term?).

I've also got to do some work to get the ends of the roof the right shape, but I'll do most of that and required filling at the ends, with the roof stuck temporarily in place. I find that really helps get the end shape more acceptable. (It would be helpful IF I could cut the roof ends more accurately in the first place but this seems to be something I just can't achieve - yet)B)

I'm asking for advice please on where to access the mass of bagpipes for the ends & cosmetic buckeye couplings?.

Presumably the rubbing plates can be made from plasticard or similar?

36E

post-2326-0-69878000-1295609923_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-98541400-1295609931_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Whilst waiting for the Bully Van filler to cure I decided to bite the bulldog and got out the Isinglass D120 as someone has asked me several times if I've started it for her!:huh: Some folk may remember a previous request of mine for tips from builders of this Isinglass product?

Previously I've built two plastic Chivers' versions and a Comet sides/ends (overlay that is) on another Chivers kit! All in EM. Inexpensive and cheerful they were too and loads of folk (well at least two) posted their pics of their efforts at the time last year.

I believe Coach has actually repainted his at least twice since, once in beautiful teak effect and then back to 50's crimson; maybe now he will be doing it in maroon?

Now I have not looked at the cost of the Chivers' version as it is a build for another, however it MUST be more expensive than Chivers and it has MJT axle fittings (that's going to be a bit of fun having not done those before). Should I tell the 'client about the Chivers/ Chivers Comet Models sides alternative? No; it's too late as I've started it!:)

Here's the lovely vir**n etch yesterday p.m. and I got the body shell completed last evening. Quite different from my usual Comet Models builds; more on the Fozzard scale of complexity/ease of build. I particularly like the clever hinge and window frame etches and method of fitting. It would be useful if the floor etch had the excellent Comet design of slots for the solebars; never mind.

I found the 'sweating panels' job (same design as Kemilway) a bit daunting but it turned out OK even when I then had to form the tumblehome which worked first time!

The story continues.

36E

post-2326-0-31127000-1295692581_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-36801500-1295692890_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Coach. Sorry, I didn't make it clear that the van is Isinglass with MJT axle fitting etches. It's one of their two 'new' kits introduced in November 2010. The other is a D86/7 'Milk Van (which I am also having to 'mostly' construct :unsure:

Cheers Pete. I was too lazy to go yet again to the MJT site on which I spend far too much time. :O

Thanks both.

36E

• RMweb Premium

Soldering those lower panels onto solid brass looks a bit daunting. The lower half of Gresley type coach sides is usually left hollow to allow soldering to take place from the back. How did you manage this task?

Well Coach, I am honoured that you ask me that.

I hadn't even thought about drilling some holes through the side half etch panel recess (which I might do next time on a similar build or on the Kemilway Gresleys I've acquired) so that I could do it that way.

I'm afraid I just tinned both the panel recesses and the rear of the panels using low melt (180 ish) solder and Powerflux. There are 6 large and 8 small panels.

Each recess was then 'spread' with a mix of Powerflux & Carrs Green Flux. Although Powerflux needs a lot of washing off it does act as a sort of adhesive I find.

I then placed the panels in place & held them with the trusty old wooden catering tea stirrer (thanks Pumpkin @ Donny Station).

Then it was up to full blast on the Antex (425degs) with a dry tip and sweated each one carefully.

I was really lucky that there was no leakage around the edges (the panels, not me) .

I only found one small corner on an end panel was slightly lifted when I made the tumblehome.

I'm sorry to say I just soldered that from the front, end edge and filed off the tiny excess!:O

Then it was into the hot wash and scrub (the sides, not me).

I think this van is similar to some of your etches in that each side has an end attached, but at the side, not the base. It also uses your hinge method with etched strips included ready for folding/use; I like that. Wonder if Geoff at Comet might be interested in that method for any future products?

When the end 'plank effect' overlays are fitted (same sweating method used but with help of mini pegs) there is an 0.4 mm lip left at one side of the end so that when you complete the 'box' it makes a butt joint not an 'overlap' as on a Comet. I actually found this butt just as successful as the user friendly Comet 'overlap'.

Wish I had taken some pics but I was working on it last evening!

Hope this helps?

Phil @36E

• RMweb Premium

Bit more progress on the Bully. (I really do like this kit as it gets near completion).

Apologies for out of focus compartment end, however the shot shows up the roof pods which with a little filling sit nicely on the standard Comet Mk 1 roof. Roof not stuck on yet.

To do:

some more filling work at the roof/end joins; end details (lav filler pipes, alarm mech etc.); the door handles (my least favourite job); glazing (also hate).

However, the recipient is a mate of mine so he will be happy and will weather it anyway!

Also more work done on the Isinglass LNER D120.

Good little kit with some lovely touches like the interior parts etches. I can recommend this kit but I still think the Chivers and/or the Chivers/Comet Models sides/ends versions are a very cost effective alternative.;)

I'm really procrastinating with the MJT axle fittings as I've not done these before, so it is just a D120 Pigeon Loft at the moment. Maybe I'll see some MJTs fitted to something at the Pontefract Show this Sunday so I can get an idea of the fitting.

(Before I am chastised about the BR Dynamo, the van I'm modelling actually had one - honest :O)

Fortunately the new owner will be doing all the handles, grab-rails and buffers + screw link couplings if she cba and the paint job. I wonder if she will fit shelves for the pigeon baskets and make little pigeons? She may even put in a Guard? Lovely hobby is it not?:)

post-2326-0-29101600-1295961629_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-17590100-1295961646_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-01266000-1295961663_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-58204600-1295961683_thumb.jpg

That's a real nice looking kit Phil, I wonder if Andy Edgson could be persuaded to do them in 7mm. Do you know what the finished livery is destined to be? Shame you are going to Ponte Sunday as if you had been going on Saturday we could have said hello.

My least favourite job of fitting the toilet filler vent and pipes is going to be done as near to last as I can postpone it, only closely preceded by the alarm rigging!

Thanks for all your feedback,

36E

Hi Mallard.

Just re the filler pipes, I felt the same with the Pullmans, especially the last one which had FOUR!

Without recommending etc, I popped into Hobbycraft at the weekend and found myself in the flower arranging section, (don't ask). I bought some of that soft wire used in..... Well, flower arranging things. About 100 strands for 75p. It shaved a great chunk of time off this boring and tedious section. I'll be posting pictures of the finished model over the next few days. See what you think, I can pm you a picture of the wire packet if it would help?

Nice work so far btw.

Cheers.

Sean.

• RMweb Premium

Here is the D120 Pigeon Loft (sorry) Van completed to the stage the lady wants; no buffers, roof unattached and with handrails (position marked on the sides of the van and drawn on the kit's diagram for clarity), connectors, lamp brackets, screw links and bagpipes to be fitted. Unpainted as mentioned before.

The MJT axle fittings are quite a cunning design are they not? I'd forgotten that I have actually seen a similar set on an EM gauge wagon I acquired. The 'one end that will rock' idea is interesting. Didn't have to wait to see any available at Ponefract.

One of the next builds will be her D86/87 'Milk Van' (Isinglass again). Will not bore you with that unless forced!

36E

post-2326-0-43943200-1296057378_thumb.jpg

Cheers Sean. Apologies but I have this picture in my noggin of a penguin fiddling with the ends of his Pullmans so that they are neatly arranged in a vase as bog pipes are fitted :lol:

Sadly I also find the neatly fitted bog filler pipes on certain RTR coaches and most kit built ones, strangley symmetrical and rather beautiful :huh:..... I must be due for the padded room!

Yup. PM the pic please and I'll see if there is somewhere local I could obtain some.

Just for fun, if you have noticed the A & B scribed on the D120 floor, suggest what that might stand for :P.

Yes, I do have L & R painted on my wellies and stitched on my gloves. Just don't follow me when I'm driving!

Cheers guys.

36E

Mallard. I think from the above you've finally gone over the edge? Made me chuckle though!.....

I'll take you a picture in the morning - the sun's still not out here today!.....

As for the A + B......

Aberdeen and Brighton perchance?..... :lol:

Cheers.

Sean.

• RMweb Premium

Bore away - Any carriage work, conversions, builds or otherwise is very welcome!

p.s. In Glasgow this a D120 Pigeon Loft - c/w matchboarded sides!

That Loft looks like my outside bog. Is it designed to avoid flooding the nesting/roosting area?;)

Crikey - what sort of coach is that in the background then?:lol:

36E

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just a pic of the latest detailing for the Bully van. More details on my blog.

Apart from a few buffer beam and end details and a bit of filler she be almost ready for the paint shop.:blink:

Halfords grey primer and possibly Halfords Burgundy Red(as this is to be the Maroon jobby) or CIBA to get the air brush out? I 'll probably use the AB for the frame or another can spray black I have hidden away and I'll hand paint the bogies and ends.

This bit of work is good therapy but is not getting me fit!

P @ 36E

post-2326-0-26747200-1304510214_thumb.jpg

Here is the D120 Pigeon Loft (sorry) Van completed to the stage the lady wants; no buffers, roof unattached and with handrails (position marked on the sides of the van and drawn on the kit's diagram for clarity), connectors, lamp brackets, screw links and bagpipes to be fitted. Unpainted as mentioned before.

The MJT axle fittings are quite a cunning design are they not? I'd forgotten that I have actually seen a similar set on an EM gauge wagon I acquired. The 'one end that will rock' idea is interesting. Didn't have to wait to see any available at Ponefract.

One of the next builds will be her D86/87 'Milk Van' (Isinglass again). Will not bore you with that unless forced!

36E

Looks a bit strange with the springs inside of the W irons.

OzzyO.

• RMweb Premium

Looks a bit strange with the springs inside of the W irons.

OzzyO.

Yes I thought that too. However, it would appear that these vans were built at Stratford and York and one or the other (Stratford I think without looking at the notes) used some chassis with the springs inside the irons! As the van was to be a Stratford build I had a look at the numbers and chose for the client an inside spring one that could have worked on the GE section around Colchester.

Cheers, P.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

OK guys. I have been working quickly on the Bullion van project as you can see. Only 20 odd months gone and I am now about to embark on the two wagons and sorting out how to do the Containers. The 31 will not be an old Airfix jobby, it will be a good old Hornby lump in BR Blue (weathered), DCC sound and EM.

For the wagons project I've decided to get a set of Mr Bartlett's very nice pics and I'm using 2 of Mr Comet's very nice Mk 1 Chassis with B5 bogies!!!!!!! Mr B's pics really are so useful as I've already discovered when doing my Comet LMS Full Brake.

Now I need to ask some more advice if I may? The Containers; I've just got back into plasticard and balsa scratching (yes I know one can get medication for this condition), on a viaduct extension, so am thinking I could do the Cont's from plasticard. However if there is a commercial product I could butcher so that I have the end/door detailing already in place that would be good . So guys and gals, any suggestions for the Containers?

P @ 36E

Archived