RMweb

Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Hi folks, 

As a break from making buildings, I thought I'd add another Mk 1 SO to my Mk 1 rake. With the addition of weight to Union of South Africa to improve its haulage capacity, it can now pull 9 Mk 1s, like pretty much all of the diesesels. This coach will only make the rake up to 7 for now (excluding buffet and BG, which this rake doesn't normally run with), but it will help make it look a little more authentic. Any more coaches would necessitate a platform change for the steam specials anyway and that would impact on other services.

The first job is to strip off the roof ribs using a square-ended blade. This is surprisingly easy and any unwanted marks add to the authenticity anyway. How many perfectly smooth Mk 1 roofs do you see? I like to leave a faint trace of the ribs, as they are there in reality, just nowhere near as prominent as Bachmann initially modelled them. After the ribs have been removed, the roof is sanded down using wet and dry paper.

I then dismantle it into its component parts. The next stage is to mask off and spray the roof. While that's drying I can then paint the seats BR blue. After that I mask off the underframe ready for weathering. It will then have passengers added. I think this one is going to be transferred from the ER to the ScR, so a renumbering is in order too.

This is the current stage, with the roof ribs removed, dismantled and ready for masking off of the roof...

post-7247-0-54644700-1447011523_thumb.jpg

Cheers for now,
Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 7

Amazing !!!!!!    What was the single road shed used for in real life ?

I think it must have been the first shed constructed at the depot (of the buildings existing in the 80s anyway). It has a very different design compared with the other sheds and is much more traditional looking. It was actually a 2-road shed in real life. It was used for general loco servicing, at least during the 80s, as far as I know. The smaller locos often seemed to be stabled in or in front of it. It was later used for DMUs once Haymarket became mainly a DMU depot. It still exists I think, in much modernised and upgraded form (to the point where it may have been completely rebuilt (?)).

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West

OK, it is bad enough when the I have to look twice at pictures of trains on  Waverley West & Haymarket MPD to decide if they are real or not, (after following this forum for a couple of years now I am getting wise to it) now I am being taken in by pictures of buildings.  I did not think for one minute these were of the model, I assumed they were reference shot.

Are you going to recreate the 1985 Open Day to celebrate completion of the depot?  Good excuse to have lot of different motive power on depot.  Am sure the list of what was there when 47715 was named Haymarket is out there on the web.

As always excellent work.

Hi folks,

Just before I take the building up to the layout, I thought I'd take a few pics of it in the sunshine. It still needs some interior structure installing, but I'm waiting on an order for some girders from Kernow Models, so I'll do that later.

attachicon.gifDepot building 3 14.jpg

attachicon.gifDepot building 3 16.jpg

Cheers

Dave

And here is the list according to http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/page/Open+Days

Haymarket Depot: Saturday 24th and Sunday 25 August 1985 
Exhibits: 37114 Dunrobin Castle, 37401 (unnamed), 401229000 Royal Scots Grey55019 Royal Highland Fusilier
20093, 26010, 31438, 58016, 81008 
DMU 107436 (Strathclyde Transport orange) 
97250 ETHEL 1 + Mk3 Sleeper, ADB968500 (Snowblower), RM62 Ballast cleaner. 
Steam: 44767 George Stephenson, NBR 673 Maude60009 Union of South Africa, 0-4-0ST Lord Mayor (from KWVR) 

47715 was named Haymarket 

Other locos on depot included: 08764, 08881, 27040, 27052, 47614 

Waverley - Depot shuttle: Sprinter 150 001, and 47716 Duke of Edinburgh's Award with 4-coach Push-pull set. 
50030 Repulse stabled at depot on Sunday between railtour workings. 

And a link to some photos

https://www.flickr.com/photos/killie65/sets/72157632735387790/

For goodness sake........I don't believe it.

Leave WW for a few months (ok, maybe far too many months) doing my own thing and when I get back I have page upon page to catch up on, but MY GOD is it worth the read.

Last time I popped in you were just about ready to lay track for Haymarket......now look at it....absolutely stunning.

I reiterate what Waverley47708 has already said above about identifying the prototype or model, some of those shots are simply outstanding Dave.

Also a great article in BRM and great photo's too.

Between this fantastic layout and Llanbourne what more could a Blue fanatic like me want, apart from Portcullin of course, but that is P4....too much like hard work.

Note to self....don't leave it so long before I am popping back in.

When are you going to have an open day so we can all see it in  the flesh.

Superb,( have I said that already?)

Paul

Hi Dave

Nice to see the 33 on Sleeper duty...

Jamie

You know, Jamie, when I see photos like that, I think I really shouldn't worry about what I run with what. There really does seem to be a prototype for everything. It would not really have occurred to me to put any 26, let alone a Railfreight one, on sleeper duty (presumably empty stock?). It's a brilliant photo.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West

I found a couple of pictures that maybe of interest. The first is an unidentified 40 and 55 009 in March 1978, one of the first pics I took as a 15 year old!

attachicon.gifa.jpg

attachicon.gifg.jpg

attachicon.gifj.jpg

attachicon.gifh.jpg

Paul

Great photos Paul, thanks. I forgot to thank you before. I may well start using my Railfreight 26 to take out the empty sleeper stock now. 

Cheers

Dave

HI Dave

Been away for a while and just caught up, SWMBO has  been watching Strictly and I find a phrase from that sums it up perfectly - Ah-May-Zing!

I also meant to ask you - how do you couple long rakes together? I've just got my first loop finished at Waverley East and we're getting consistent derailments on an s-curve through a pair of points ( 5' radius Peco Code 75). It seems to throw the fourth and fifth coaches in a long rake ( 9 bogies, and so far I've found it hits things on Bachmann Bogies. Others in the forum are suggesting is due to tension locks

AS I don;t have NEM pockets on much of my stock the normal options of Kadee or Roco aren;t open to me so I wondered how you deal with it?

And you've moved? Still in Cumbria I hope?

ATB

Peter

Edited by bigwordsmith

And here is the list according to http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/page/Open+Days

Haymarket Depot: Saturday 24th and Sunday 25 August 1985 

Exhibits: 37114 Dunrobin Castle, 37401 (unnamed), 401229000 Royal Scots Grey55019 Royal Highland Fusilier

20093, 26010, 31438, 58016, 81008 

DMU 107436 (Strathclyde Transport orange) 

97250 ETHEL 1 + Mk3 Sleeper, ADB968500 (Snowblower), RM62 Ballast cleaner. 

Steam: 44767 George Stephenson, NBR 673 Maude60009 Union of South Africa, 0-4-0ST Lord Mayor (from KWVR) 

47715 was named Haymarket 

Other locos on depot included: 08764, 08881, 27040, 27052, 47614 

Waverley - Depot shuttle: Sprinter 150 001, and 47716 Duke of Edinburgh's Award with 4-coach Push-pull set. 

50030 Repulse stabled at depot on Sunday between railtour workings. 

And a link to some photos

https://www.flickr.com/photos/killie65/sets/72157632735387790/

Thanks for that list and link. That's brilliant. I have long had it in my mind to recreate that open day. It gives me one excuse to cover a whole range of unusual stock. An 85 may have to substitute for the 81 though but there's some interesting stock there.  :sungum:

Edited by Waverley West