Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

• RMweb Premium

Excellent work on the office block, just one thing you haven't told us yet, which room do they issue the Permits from when we want to visit the depot, or perhaps more importantly, which window do we get bellowed at from when we don't have a Permit!

The sixth photo in the second batch is fantastic, superbly atmospheric.

1st office on the right as you go in the main door for permits and for a bollocking - 1st office on the right as you go in the main door....:)

Don't know about the princess but the AME East's car was a Peugeot 309 saloon in dirty RAF blue (no logo) :)

• Like 2

Thanks for posting those, Peter. Looks like I'm missing a STOP sign by the entrance to the depot building there. I have some spare if I can find them, so I'll add that. Thanks!

There's some nice extra detail in the foreground of that pic on the left too.

It's interesting how the colour of the depot doors changed over the years too. At various times, they were painted with black and yellow stripes, black and yellow chevrons and eventually red and yellow horizontal stripes if I remember rightly. It's a nightmare trying to get everything to match reasonably well period-wise, as although I have some good shots around most of the depot through the years, I don't have a good set of photos covering the entire depot in a particular year or two. That's the problem with modelling a real location, I guess.

Cheers

Dave

I really like that you have spent as much care weathering the lorry to sit outside the shed as you have on the locos that inhabit it. Lovely work.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie. I do believe in consistency across a layout.

There doesn't seem to be much point to me in worrying about the minutiae of loco and rolling stock details if the rest of the layout isn't done to a similar standard. I don't tend to be too fastidious about loco and rolling stock details. My general rule is that if I have to look it up to find out that it's wrong, then I don't worry about it too much. I do like to get it right on the whole obviously, but the overall impression of a layout is far more important to me.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Love the black and white one Dave, but to be honest, either version could be taken for the real thing, the colouring and lighting on the colour version is just amazing.

The brickwork on the gable end is just superb, and the weathering on the van and wagon also.

Al.

Hi folks,

Pretty rubbish weather here today, so I managed to spend some time on the new offices for the admin buildings. I've spent the week painting the various Preiser and Kibris office bits and pieces that came earlier in the week. There were 6 offices, a training room, a meeting room and a mess to furnish. They're all entirely down to my imagination using what was available, so I'm sure I'm way off the mark as far as 1980s depot offices go, but who cares, I think they look OK!

Here are some piccies.

Apologies for the pretty awful quality. They are all horribly cruel close-ups and hastily taken, but you can see what the offices look like anyway before they are placed in their respective buildings.

First up is the depot manager's office. Looks like a visitor is just leaving...

post-7247-0-64873500-1456000107_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile in the meeting room, it looks like a meeting is just finishing...

post-7247-0-60868700-1456000113_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-77368600-1456000116_thumb.jpg

On the ground floor below, the footplate staff wait for their rosters in the mess...

post-7247-0-02023900-1456001166_thumb.jpg

A plan view of the training room. It looks like a training session has just finished.

post-7247-0-27795000-1456000137_thumb.jpg

Plus some other offices. Now we really are getting cruel and close up.

post-7247-0-96645000-1456000132_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-26474200-1456000127_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-82355500-1456000153_thumb.jpg

There's a bit of touching up to do and finishing off, but not too much more to do now and it'll be on to the water tower.

Bye for now,

Dave

• Like 18

Superb scenes, nar...effing mint bar the glossy characters...or is it brylcream on the 80's hair? They'll be pre-painted won't they? Even with matt varnish I've never managed to get a perfect finish on a figure.

One old book I have recommended talc mixed with paint but that might have been for cattle. The only mega matt paint I know is blackboard paint from the pound shop but once it's mixed with other colours.....

Oh, poster paint will do it.

Edited by Andrew F

Superb scenes, nar...effing mint bar the glossy characters...or is it brylcream on the 80's hair? They'll be pre-painted won't they? Even with matt varnish I've never managed to get a perfect finish on a figure.

One old book I have recommended talc mixed with paint but that might have been for cattle. The only mega matt paint I know is blackboard paint from the pound shop but once it's mixed with other colours.....

Oh, poster paint will do it.

It's the Bachmann Scenecraft ones actually. They are very glossy. I'll try some matt varnish on them.

Superb...

...but not a brew, billy can or bag anywhere!

Kev.

Well, there might well be soon now... All suggestions welcome! Cheers Kev!!

Edited by Waverley West

Hi folks,

Pretty rubbish weather here today, so I managed to spend some time on the new offices for the admin buildings. I've spent the week painting the various Preiser and Kibris office bits and pieces that came earlier in the week. There were 6 offices, a training room, a meeting room and a mess to furnish. They're all entirely down to my imagination using what was available, so I'm sure I'm way off the mark as far as 1980s depot offices go, but who cares, I think they look OK!

Here are some piccies.

Apologies for the pretty awful quality. They are all horribly cruel close-ups and hastily taken, but you can see what the offices look like anyway before they are placed in their respective buildings.

First up is the depot manager's office. Looks like a visitor is just leaving...

attachicon.gifImg_9934.jpg

Meanwhile in the meeting room, it looks like a meeting is just finishing...

attachicon.gifImg_9937.jpg

attachicon.gifImg_9938.jpg

On the ground floor below, the footplate staff wait for their rosters in the mess...

attachicon.gifImg_9961.jpg

A plan view of the training room. It looks like a training session has just finished.

attachicon.gifImg_9945.jpg

Plus some other offices. Now we really are getting cruel and close up.

attachicon.gifImg_9944.jpg

attachicon.gifImg_9943.jpg

attachicon.gifImg_9935.jpg

There's a bit of touching up to do and finishing off, but not too much more to do now and it'll be on to the water tower.

Bye for now,

Dave

Dave, that is just unbelievable!!!  I'm sitting here with a big grin on my face looking at those interiors - such detail!!  Superb.  Where is the furniture from?  Do they do 7mm, do you know?  I'm looking for more interiors for a portacabin in the 80s.

Rod

• Like 1