Modelzone Limited Editions

darren chpamn

Just placed my advance order for the BG at Modelzone Deansgate. I was quite surprised to be #1 on the list - nice to beat the Ebay carpetbaggers for a change.

I suspect Ebay carpetbaggers have a lot of Test Car 6s on their hands given the number unsold on the the famous auction website. Hopefully they will think twice before investing again, although I doubt they will spare the class 20 from their dealings.

Thanks for your time and trouble with the above,however decided to go into Manchester and ordered them at the Modelzone shop.Regards

RE: A pair of Royal Mail red Mk 1 BG vans 92138/92108 (39-001Y).

Can anyone please shed some light on when these coaches would have been seen on the network?

Many thanks,

Chris

I would imagine these are intended to compliment the TPO in post office red issued by Modelzone a few years ago. I believe the livery was from the 1960s prior to BR blue/grey being applied in the 1970s. Previous threads have suggested that it was more common to see those red TPOs in trains of maroon BGs.

I would imagine these are intended to compliment the TPO in post office red issued by Modelzone a few years ago. I believe the livery was from the 1960s prior to BR blue/grey being applied in the 1970s. Previous threads have suggested that it was more common to see those red TPOs in trains of maroon BGs.

I think thye are more likely 1980's/90's models. The Signal box page allows you to zoom in on the drawing and one of the 2 coaches has the double arrow and the TOPS code "NEA".

Interestingly the coach looks like it will be a match for this one from the standard range Bachmann has already done.

http://www.ehattons.com/images/products/39-184A_33019_Qty1_2.jpg

I think thye are more likely 1980's/90's models. The Signal box page allows you to zoom in on the drawing and one of the 2 coaches has the double arrow and the TOPS code "NEA".

Interestingly the coach looks like it will be a match for this one from the standard range Bachmann has already done.

They certainly are the 90s vehicles.  There were no BGs running around with those numbers (92xxx) in the sixties.

• RMweb Gold

Those coaches would have been in the late 1980's.. IIRC there was a thread that highlighted the 'plain' red BG (I believe that a photo of one at Didcot during this period was found???) they were certainly around well after the 1970's

If that's the case would be easy to buy them from above retailer and remove the yellow lining. Well that's what I would do rather then spend a premium for the limited editions.

Given the comments on here I wonder if Modelzone will not sell many of the BG pack. I fancied a pair until I saw how similar one was to the standard release, perhaps they will reduce them to clear after a period of poor sales, might get them for the price of a pair of normal BG's at some point.

It always keeps me amused just how upitty people get about owning a 'Limited Release of 512 Pieces' or just anything with an 'Exclusive' tag...

For example, the Red Bank sets; two "weathered" (not very well) GUV's in pack 1 (Only thing differentiating them from any of the standard release was a printed piece on the side of one, I think) and a Mk1 BSK and a BG (Slightly better weathering) in Pack 2 (Again, only difference from any standards was the larger font 'Express Parcels' print on the side of the BG)

How much were they, £60+ a pack? Call me a cynic, but if you can buy two GUV's for way less than that, why would you spend x amount more on them just for that 'Ltd. Ed.' tag? As for the printed bit, transfers, anyone?

Same with the BSK and BG, ok so not such a big saving to be had on buying blue grey stock, but for me, having an airbrush and being willing to brandish it, an SR green or RES example, which can be had cheaper, is pretty simple to re-liver, and the 'Parcels branding is a stock line, as a transfer, from Fox!

What I mean to say is that, to me, these 'Unique' items are astronomically overrated. Fair enough, before I get lynched, if you don't have the ability/ inclination/ modelling ethos to DIY something to make it a bit different, then I accept that these may be of interest, and fair play to you. But take those RM red BG's for example; £12.99 for a lined one, with the 100mph B4 bogies, available on the Signalbox site, so thats nearly £50 MORE for an unlined red one, which I've (Not that that means owt) never heard of...? pfft!

(As a disclaimer, I bought MZ's 08 721 'Starlet', certificate states she's No. 003 of 512, and just last week she crunched into two 20t Brake Vans whilst shunting a BG, and now needs her front steps and air tanks re-gluing, not to mention some weathering!)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived