Modelzone Limited Editions

darren chpamn

There is an excellent but undated picture on page 45 of the book Modern Railways Special - Derby Railway Technical Centre which shows a single grill and blanking plate layout, this looks like the grill layout attempted by Bachmann. It appears that Test Car 6 had at least two grill configurations for the generator area - the single grill and blanking plate and two grill panels as shown in post #326. Looks like another modelling minefield!

Martin.

There is an excellent but undated picture on page 45 of the book Modern Railways Special - Derby Railway Technical Centre which shows a single grill and blanking plate layout, this looks like the grill layout attempted by Bachmann. It appears that Test Car 6 had at least two grill configurations for the generator area - the single grill and blanking plate and two grill panels as shown in post #326. Looks like another modelling minefield!

Martin.

The Departmentals website also has a pic, dated '92 (9 yrs later than the above pic), which shows the whole window plated in but with a blanking plate where the second grille - as noted by Martin R, above.

The printed on grilles are reflective of the simple approach taken to Modelzones limited editions where they are using an existing tooling, Bachmann/Kader producing what they have been asked to do - no doubt if someone wanted to pay for a new tooling insert then they would have produced it but the cost of the model would be £££ more.

• RMweb Premium

The printed on grilles are reflective of the simple approach taken to Modelzones limited editions where they are using an existing tooling,

Modifying tooling for LE's is an expensive process and it's not just Modelzone asking the mainstream manufacturers to overprint details..................................

Cheers,

Mick

Hurst models do a brass overlay for Test Car 6 http://www.hurstmode...m/4/4mm_mk2.htm although designed for the Lima MK 2 I wonder weather it would be possible to graft just the generator grills onto the Bachmann model.

Has anyone out there got a picture of the Hurst brass Test Coach 6 sides?

If you search on flickr for Test Car 6 there's a photo of a model with etched overlays - possibly Hurst's ?

HTH

• RMweb Gold

I'm in Finland for 7 days, at the mo, and left home last wednesday.

On trips away I always phone the misses to say that I have arrived ok and describe how the trip went.

At the end of this particular call she informed me that 'my train things' had arrived – oops.

In light if the various louvres/window changes applied to test car 6 over time, all i have to say is that i'm not looking forward to my 'grilling' when i get home!

Kev.

Now available. Based on the old Mainline/Palitoy? mouldings with original fixed style couplings/bogies ie (no close coupling mechanism or NEM pockets etc.) Both are well finished.

34-325Y 50ft Parcels Van Engineers Yellow ADB975941

43-325Z 50ft Parcels Van BR Blue Weathered (Internal user) 024429

post-2215-0-89021100-1345839181_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-32163100-1345839263_thumb.jpg

The yellow ones seem to be in short supply - my Holborn pre-order couldn't be fulfilled as I'd put my name down too late. However, they can still (as of today) be ordered on the website and Bromley were able to let me have one when I phoned them. It seems those stores that have them are not neccessarily putting them out in case they have to use their stock to help out other stores.

On a more general note, the distribution of these limited editions does seem to be somewhat erratic, not helped by a lack of centralised ordering - basically each shop takes its own decsions regarding orders and this results in some stores failing to fulfil preorders whilst others will sell surplus stock to anyone without any attempt to reconcile availble items with other stores' unfulfilled orders.

At the time of writing the only current limited editions that don't seem to be freely available are the yellow BG and of course Test Car 6 - but there seem to be an awful lot of the latter on ebay not selling (yet) at around the £50 mark. Given the original sale price of £31.99 plus ebay/Paypal fees adding up to about 13.5% of sale price that doesn't make it particularly worth the hassle of stockpiling them and the number produced would seem to be about right to ensure a sellout without too much unsatisfied demand. Maybe the printed grille has put people off?

At the time of writing the only current limited editions that don't seem to be freely available are the yellow BG and of course Test Car 6

I bought a yellow BG from the display cabinet at the Merry Hill shop yesterday, it was their last one. There was also a Test car 6 there, didn't ask if it was the only one.

They had sold out of RNAs though, even though they are available on the web site.

• RMweb Gold

just been to the holborn shop for a nose, they have the blue BG in the cabinet and a couple of pairs of the brake force coaches, as andyman says no yellow BG's though

birmingham had a few RNA's in stock on friday

I pre ordered the yellow ex LMS brake, however cannot recall whether it was from Modelzone Deansgate or direct from the Signal Box. Has anyone who pre-ordered from Modelzone Deansgate been contacted about theirs?

I can't comment directly on Deansgate but they have definately been delivered throughout the branch network. I'd just give Deansgate a ring, I'm sure they'll be able to say straight away whether you have an outsanding order with them.

I'm pretty sure that they're gone from all the SE stores. However, there is a bit of a glut on ebay at the moment so if you want to choose your moment I reckon one can be had for not a huge premium over the issue price. Obviously it depends on how badly you want one but at £40 you're only £8 over the shop price (and once ebay fees are deducted the seller will hardly be getting rich either....)

Archived