Bachmann pre-announcement thread

reevesthecat

Not been up on what Bachmann produce, at a guess you'll hear something like this,

Tornado in B.R. green,

A few re-liveried diesels,

Maybe Mk1 sleepers,

One new steam loco, maybe a A2 variety,

A rehash of class20, 47 etc.,

The class 40 put back till next year,

Thinking about doing the W.R. Blue Pullman,

More locos fitted with DDC sound,

More parts for their O.L.E..

Just my thoughts, will be interesting to see what they do do though.

OzzyO.

I'll second Phil's desire to see a broader range of units rather than a duplicate 101. I accept it's an obvious choice amongst the 1st gen. units: longlived like - and more so - the 117s, yet without the Derby nose end which may be judged to look too much like a 108.

However I consider the ex Lima Met-Camm not bad, and needs only a warm over from Margate in the underframe (and livery application) dept. to bring it up to scratch:

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=51175

(new bogies, buffers and bufferbeam pipes, otherwise just paint and polish. Don't tell me about the cantrail gutter again, I already know...)

I'd actually just like to see the upgrade of the useful split-chassis stuff (eg J39, V1/V3, V2), and some decent LMS-design vans. But I'm not all that bothered really.

DMU's have something about them, although I wasn't saying that 53 years ago! B) They fit neatly into the steam age working passenger services amid an unchanged infrastructure, while the local goods is still steam worked. So yes, I can imagine this being developed further to include a number of untouched prototypes.

I dont think any one has mentioned the note which HATTONS put in their new items in stock newsletter a day or 2 back something to the effect that they were advised last weekend of Bachmann's proposals and that these would appear on their website in a few days time, presumably after the OFFICIAL announcement is made on 6.3.11

. Compared to them, the Hornby 101 looks dated and so I will not buy one and will wait. Hopefully not for too long. I doubt I'm alone in this. Hornby has shown no interest so far,

Why would they, and have they ever said they would? - do correct me if I'm mistaken.

We're constantly besieged by calls for retooling of items from the Lima range, particularly the 73, 67, 156 and 101, yet many modellers accept them as they are or as a basis for improvement. As long as that continues, I really cant see Hornby of all companies throwing more money at them

) for me it is a much better commercial bet than the Buxton units (Class 104s), which were known as that for a reason.

Hmmm, is this really such a lack of knowledge, or is it a touch of misinformation?

The small initial batch that worked from Manchester to Buxton might have been 'known as that', but they potentially covered a much wider sphere - LM 3-car units at various times covered Manchester - Blackpool, North Wales and the East and West Midlands, and the 4-cars (later reduced to 3) could be seen over much of the ER and NER throughout their lives. Add in the assorted locations that a few spread to around and after Sprinterisation (together with the liveries of the period), and you've got a pretty good commercial case IMO

Surprised with the announcement of the Western mainline electrification scheme that no-one hasn't thought of the IEP.

Hehehe. I was going to mention this, but thought best to contain the excitiment to myself for only a few more years :( Having been in Japan, travelling on the superb Hitachi 500 and 700 series Shinkansens, i cannot wait till i can ride something similar here! (Cl395 isnt a Bullet train, its a commuter "A" Train)

The SET design will be confirmed by the end of the year. Can i have a model now as i cant wait for 2016! lol

I dont think any one has mentioned the note which HATTONS put in their new items in stock newsletter a day or 2 back something to the effect that they were advised last weekend of Bachmann's proposals and that these would appear on their website in a few days time, presumably after the OFFICIAL announcement is made on 6.3.11

It was mentioned in post #102

If it is announced, this is what I would get.

1P 0-4-4T

xSR Q

2MT 2-6-2T either Ivatt or BR std

Std 3MT in plain green

Prestwins

SR 25t brakevan

xSR and xLMS non-corridor stock preferably push-pull.

• RMweb Premium

Why would they, and have they ever said they would? - do correct me if I'm mistaken.

I'm not sure quite what I've said to justify such condescension. I simply said that Hornby had so far shown no interest in updating the model. This is factually correct.

We're constantly besieged by calls for retooling of items from the Lima range,

"We"? Do you work for Hornby? Assuming you mean on this forum, then why not if that's what some of us want? Quite a lot if its enough to be considered being "beseiged". As I said, if Hornby's inaction in upgrading or replacing its ex-Lima models effectively means that we are stuck with the existing models for the foreseeable future because no other manufacturer decides to produce one, then in my opinion the hobby as a whole suffers by not moving forward technically.

The small initial batch that worked from Manchester to Buxton might have been 'known as that', but they potentially covered a much wider sphere - LM 3-car units at various times covered Manchester - Blackpool, North Wales and the East and West Midlands, and the 4-cars (later reduced to 3) could be seen over much of the ER and NER throughout their lives. Add in the assorted locations that a few spread to around and after Sprinterisation (together with the liveries of the period), and you've got a pretty good commercial case IMO

So Midland and Eastern regions until Sprinterisation...

Can we drop the antagonism please and return to civility.

• RMweb Gold

I'm one of those thats quite happy to accept what manufacturers offer and purchase what is relevant to me out of whats available.

I find if you get too caught up in the frothing and wishing then you just set yourself up for disappointment.

However the one and only thing I hope for (and have been doing so for years) is a 104 DMU.

I held out for a few years waiting for the DC Kits kit but that was cancelled.

Fingers crossed this year round and if not, then maybe next year :)

Steam:

Great Western King Class 4-6-0......King Edward II due out of Didcot next month (Limited Edition in Blue)..6000 King Geogre V (Limited Edition for NRM).....plus all the other locomotives and liveries.

Deisel:

Class 59.......three sub classes 59/0. + 59/1. + 59/2. Lots of liveries and variations. Wide operational radius + a range of wagons to pull.

Class 67......EWS / DBS / Royal / EWS Exc / WSMR / Arriva? liveries..Wide operational radius. The Hornby one is very basic no red lights etc, and printed detail.

Electro / Deisel:

Class 73......need I say more.....

Electric:

Class 90.......90/0. + 90/1. + 90/2. sub classes. Lots of liveries and details etc. Fits in with the next generation of new models Plus Hornby model is again very basic and very old.

Class 92........As above Hornby and Lima models are very long in the tooth now.

Id be up for one of each of the above!.

Bluebird

Compared to them, the Hornby 101 looks dated

Have you actually looked at the Lima or Hornby 101? The body is superb and the glazing is amoung, I think, the best RTR glazing.

Find Tim Shackleton's article in MRJ on modelling them and you'll see with a few evenings work it will make a top spec model quite easily. Work on the underframe transforms it, couple this with painting the interior followed by careful weathering and the result is very pleasing indeed. The body does not need 're-tooling' (by which most people, I think, mean replacing).

In other aspects it may seem a little dated but the potential is there in bucket loads! I certainly think so anyway - but I wonder if there is a difference between the 'modeller' and the 'buyer' when i see some posts in threads like this.

...As I said, if Hornby's inaction in upgrading or replacing its ex-Lima models effectively means that we are stuck with the existing models for the foreseeable future because no other manufacturer decides to produce one, then in my opinion the hobby as a whole suffers by not moving forward technically...

The contrary view is that the supply of RTR models clearly shows a net gain in quality over the past dozen years. Specific to first gen DMU's, with several sizeable, widely distributed and long lived classes still without any RTR model, what is going to look most appealing to a manufacturer? First making models available of the other numerous classes before dealing with subjects already available as dated models (if the 'current owner' still hasn't in the interim made progress) is the rational thing to do. I would offer the thought that the effect of expanding the choice available in RTR form makes a pretty large contribution to the hobby in terms of diversity of potential subject areas more readily modelled.

Do we know who, in the various companies, makes the decisions on new projects and do we ever hear the logic behind the choices after release? I know we make out own minds up about why, for example Falcon or Lion etc., but is there ever a chink in the curtain, Wizard of Oz style?

There must be some form of design committee that meets with the designers, enthusiasts, money people and big cheese. Without risking an official secrets type situation is anyone aware of how the process operates? Just curious. Do they walk among us - or am I flattering threads like this?!

Be interesting to get an idea even in a historical context - who chose to do The year of the loco at Hornby and picked and released the 4x 4.4.0s? An inspired choice I thought at the time. Or why the 0.6.2T tank for Hornby Dublo over any other loco? etc...

As I said, if Hornby's inaction in upgrading or replacing its ex-Lima models effectively means that we are stuck with the existing models for the foreseeable future because no other manufacturer decides to produce one, then in my opinion the hobby as a whole suffers by not moving forward technically...

Must say I depair when I read this kind of thing as if the hobby is totally dependant on RTR. Maybe you are....maybe your fiends are... but please don't consider yourselves in a position to determine the health or otherwise of the model railway hobby. I've gone a bit strong here Andrew, but there are other sides to this hobby. Sure, we all open boxes, but some of them have soldering irons and bottles of glue in them.:)

• RMweb Premium

Have you actually looked at the Lima or Hornby 101? The body is superb and the glazing is amoung, I think, the best RTR glazing.

Find Tim Shackleton's article in MRJ on modelling them and you'll see with a few evenings work it will make a top spec model quite easily. Work on the underframe transforms it, couple this with painting the interior followed by careful weathering and the result is very pleasing indeed. The body does not need 're-tooling' (by which most people, I think, mean replacing).

In other aspects it may seem a little dated but the potential is there in bucket loads! I certainly think so anyway - but I wonder if there is a difference between the 'modeller' and the 'buyer' when i see some posts in threads like this.

I agree with you on the body. I had a Lima 3-car set in Blue/Grey (since given to a nephew) and I was very pleased with it, particularly with the metal painted window frames. I just fitted new windscreen wipers. I would perfectly happy if Hornby updated its model - what I particulary want is working lights and NEM couplings which I do draw the line at doing myself. At the same time, the underframe could be improved. But if Hornby doesn't do it (and it has shown no interest so far), personally I hope someone else does. And Bachmann does have N gauge CADs to start from.

As to other first generation DMUs, yes it would be good to see some. But there never seems to be any major consensus in the annual wish list results, so how commercially successful would they be? For me a Gloucester 119 and/or Swindon 120 (I'm no expert but IIRC the main body sides are very similar, so perhaps just changing the cabs would cover both?) would be great, but probably not for others. On the other hand Class 104s didn't really venture down south as far as I know (although I did see a set ecs at Oxford one day in the mid 80s) until near the end, so of no use to me, though a fine looking unit.

Must say I depair when I read this kind of thing as if the hobby is totally dependant on RTR. Maybe you are....maybe your fiends are... but please don't consider yourselves in a position to determine the health or otherwise of the model railway hobby. I've gone a bit strong here, and I realize this thread is about Bachmann rtr, but I'm weary of people thinking the hobby revolves around such stuff. Sure, we all open boxes, but some of them have soldering irons and bottles of glue in them.:)

Don't forget the knives, drills and razor saws. :) Or, for that matter, the spare V2 trailing bogies. Which are nice little trailing bogies, because they have a drawbar built in. And it's a drawbar that has two wires in it to carry all the lovely little amps from the loco to the tender so that the pacific Jubilee can actually move under its own steam. Nice little trailing bogie, it made me happy, it did. I could almost have kissed it.

(ahem) Ok, so I'm rambling. To a certain extent, in N gauge we are a bit dependant on RTR if only because we need the chassis to put stuff on. :)

Class 104's

Also not forgetting the 'Abbey Flyer' (following the demise of the Cravens), one of the units still displaying an Oldham destination blind. Always looked forward to the appearence of the one power twin unit with it's enhanced performance.

Better stop there before the thread goes too 'off topic'.

Thanks James, and Jamie for ilustrating your Met Camm.

The Limby offering is not up to the latest Cravens and Derby standards admittedly, but it has great potential and I stress once again that I'd much rather Bachmann deliver one of the many other 1st gen railcars than a duplication of the Met Camm.

Has anyone taken a serious look at the old Triang 3mm scale BRCW (class 104) ? The 3mm scale stuff by Triang was in a different league to the slightly larger scale production.

As I said, if Hornby's inaction in upgrading or replacing its ex-Lima models effectively means that we are stuck with the existing models for the foreseeable future because no other manufacturer decides to produce one, then in my opinion the hobby as a whole suffers by not moving forward technically...

So are you saying that Hornby should resist from new model production until it has re engineered it's existing catalogue ? I don't think you have many modellers agree with you there.

Bachmann and Hornby and even Aunty Vi, deliver us BRCW, Park Royal, Derby Sub, original Gloucester and Swindon Cross Country before messing around with the existing Met Camm please

• RMweb Premium

Must say I depair when I read this kind of thing as if the hobby is totally dependant on RTR. Maybe you are....maybe your fiends are... but please don't consider yourselves in a position to determine the health or otherwise of the model railway hobby. I've gone a bit strong here Andrew, but there are other sides to this hobby. Sure, we all open boxes, but some of them have soldering irons and bottles of glue in them.:)

Fair enough, but try telling a small child that you want to chop about with the bright new model he's just seen in its box... It's "ours" not "yours" Daddy! So I would like to see the RTR stuff as accurate and up to date as possible (a programme of both new models and updated existing ones) to keep us both happy and keep my real modelling to kits, older models and the rest of the layout, not that I get much time...

• RMweb Premium

Somebody mentioned Thompson Suburbans - oh yes please :rolleyes:

Others, upgraded Bulleids - oh yes please :unsure: and a Bulleid BCK - oh yes please :blink:

Loco's - I predict an LMS tank, a Standard 2.6.0. and a LNER/BRER K1 & I think there might be a big LNER/BRER Pacific in the 'wings'.

However I predicted that Argyle would return to the Championship this season so take no notice!:O

36E

Archived