Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

• RMweb Gold

Loco construction on hold at the moment, work is hectic at the moment so something a little less taxing is in order. Felton Lane is up to do a few jobs and I was sorting out some wagons, mainly ones that were used on Fellburn and haven't been seen since it's final outing in February 2010! 

Just a mixed rake here headed by a J25 scratchbuilt by the late Fred Rowntree. The cylindrical tank is a David Geen kit and lettered for Dorman Long. The rectangular tank is the Slaters kit hand lettered 'Rimer Bros Skinnerburn Oil Works', this wagon dictated which way round all stock on Fellburn ran (coupling loops only on one end only) as one side is lettered 'Skinnerburn Oil Woks'...

post-7104-0-19861000-1368441845_thumb.jpg

A couple of ex NER opens, diagram B15.

post-7104-0-30271800-1368441856_thumb.jpg

NER 25t bogie road vans. Both scratchbuilt, the one on the left by me and the one on the right by Fred Rowntree, we were discussing the price of the D&S kit at the club one night many years ago and decided that we should scratchbuild one each, I later took the opportunity to acquire Fred's.

post-7104-0-31524900-1368441868_thumb.jpg

NER Pulley wagon, scratchbuilt from plasticard and strip with a brass propeller.

post-7104-0-61043000-1368441878_thumb.jpg

Parkside bogie bolster and Connoisseur Rectank with ingot moulds.

post-7104-0-62928900-1368441887_thumb.jpg

Twin bolster converted from mineral wagons, Cambrian kits without doors.

post-7104-0-83000800-1368441900_thumb.jpg

Method of attaching bolsters and load.

post-7104-0-12804400-1368441911_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've finally got round to ordering some gears for the 7mm J77, so when they get here I'll be able to get on with it. In the meantime here's some photos of a 7mm NER G2 van I'm building from a Meteor Models kit. It's going together ok but some of the 'paired' parts are slightly different sizes, not enough to spoil the model though.

post-7104-0-34980300-1372974488_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-21229000-1372974500_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-70418300-1372974508_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Back to the J77s.

I've managed to make some progress on both of them, on the 7mm one I've fitted the main cab and tank assembly and a Markits 40-1 gearbox, this will need to be removed at some point to paint the frames.

Before attaching to the footplate.

post-7104-0-05430900-1375134892_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-56428000-1375134905_thumb.jpg

Chassis with motor.

post-7104-0-95597400-1375134865_thumb.jpg

I was demonstrating at the Thirsk show on Sunday and actually got some work done! I managed to fit the handrails, smokebox door, chimney and dome to the 4mm one.

Handrails.

post-7104-0-85582000-1375134844_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Lovely work so far, it may just be me but the can roof profile on the 7mm one seems a much sharper curve than the 4mm? Is it just an optical illusion from the camera ? Also I wondered if you intended making the tanks and cab removable? I'm really enjoying the progress here and wish I had made Thirsk at the weekend to have a chat in person. Do you demonstrate at other shows in that area at all?

ATB Mick

Hi Mick,

The curve may be a bit tighter, but hopefully not by much, it's in nickel-silver, horrible stuff! 

Usually just demo at Thirsk but next year I may have a layout there.

I prefer nickel silver to brass. It is slightly harder needs annealing where brass does not. But it really is a breeze to paint.

Looking good. Are you making the centre part of the cab roof removable for detailing the cab?

Hi Mick,

The curve may be a bit tighter, but hopefully not by much, it's in nickel-silver, horrible stuff! 

Usually just demo at Thirsk but next year I may have a layout there.

I will definitely have to put Thirsk next year in the diary then Paul, where's the venue as I'm only in York and would like to get to some more local shows. I don't think the tighter curve will be a problem it will look great when finished. I do like these little tanks, one of my all time favourite pictures is of 8409 on Alex Dock shunting fish vans whilst a City of Hull copper directs traffic, magic !! Looking forward to updates

ATB Mick

• RMweb Premium

In my reincarnation of the round topped J77 cab I am planning to have the floor removable with  some of the cab innards and backhead dropping down with it. I am hoping that that will solve the problem. Fingers crossed!

ArthurK

In my reincarnation of the round topped J77 cab I am planning to have the floor removable with  some of the cab innards and backhead dropping down with it. I am hoping that that will solve the problem. Fingers crossed!

ArthurK

That would do it Arthur, the fletcher cab on these little monsters is so important and for me their most endearing feature,

ATB Mick

Back to the J77s.

I've managed to make some progress on both of them, on the 7mm one I've fitted the main cab and tank assembly and a Markits 40-1 gearbox, this will need to be removed at some point to paint the frames.

Before attaching to the footplate.

attachicon.gifIMGP6420-001.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP6421-001.JPG

Chassis with motor.

attachicon.gifIMGP7192-001.JPG

I was demonstrating at the Thirsk show on Sunday and actually got some work done! I managed to fit the handrails, smokebox door, chimney and dome to the 4mm one.

Handrails.

attachicon.gifIMGP7467-001.JPG

It's good to see your progress on the 7mm J77. I am just ahead of you in what can only be described a bit of a challenge!

I wanted to post to warn you of a potential but easily solved problem with the footplate that you are yet to start. The valences supplied are way too narrow compared to photos of the prototype. I had to remove mine and fabricate some 6mm wide (a guess) replacements and the loco looks much better as a result. I have also fitted LNER GS buffers which some carried particularly those with vacuum brakes and steam heating. The resulting pipework for these will be interesting but should add to the character of the model.

The photo attached shows the current status. The boiler assembly is just resting in place - the fit against the cab front is not that bad!

My biggest problems to date are poor castings and over-sized handrail holes in some of the etchings. The cab roof also had to be 're-profiled'. Everything else is fixable with effort but without the kit I would not be building a J77 so it's certainly worthwhile.

Keep up the good work.

Regards

Terry

Edited by spearmint100

• RMweb Premium

I wanted to post to warn you of a potential but easily solved problem with the footplate that you are yet to start. The valences supplied are way too narrow compared to photos of the prototype. I had to remove mine and fabricate some 6mm wide (a guess) replacements and the loco looks much better as a result. I have also fitted LNER GS buffers which some carried particularly those with vacuum brakes and steam heating. The resulting pipework for these will be interesting but should add to the character of the model.

Terry

The NER used two depths of valance on Worsdell engines 6" and 3". I assumed that it was 6" which I used in both of my J77 kits.

However you got me thinking (that's always dangerous). I have acquired the GAs for the tanks and cabs. These are 1/8th scale (that's big!). These are highly detailed and show the cab/tank dimensions, The drawing for the Worsdell cab rebuild does not show the valance but the other does. This scales off as 8", more than I had anticipated. On Photos check the valance depth against the Buffer beam depth which is the standard 1' 5". It is just about half. Also there were fillet plate overlays these were 1' 3" long and had a 1' 0" radius to the buffer beam bottom.

Looks like I need a small revision to the artwork but fortunately it has not got to the production stage yet.

These Fletcher cabs were not all to one standard. The drawing has the comment "Side plate of tank to join side plate of cab (roof) here. To be measured from engine". The overhang of the roof beyond the cab front plate varied. On the drawing that I have it is seven inches. I know of only one photo which is anywhere near that.

Any dimensions relating to tanks or cab - just ask.

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK

Thanks for your offer of dimensions from your GAs Arthur..

Would you have the distance between smokebox front and front buffer beam?

Also any information on cab layout would be helpful. As you have suggested, I have made the cab floor removable but am unsure of the position of seats, brake standard etc.

Regards

Terry

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Back to the EM J77, I would like it running at ExpoEM North in a couple of weeks!

I've got the last of the detail bits on, I've substituted the whitemetal safety valves and whistle for lost wax ones from Dave Alexander and I've made a start with painting, the outer buffer beam was fitted after washing due to wanting to keep the centre wooden layer dry.

post-7104-0-66192600-1378073348_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-70161300-1378073359_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

That is looking really nice Paul! 

Mine should be here in the next day or so. I'll post photos in my thread, and maybe we can find out the origin of the kit!

• RMweb Gold

And now with a bit of black paint on it.

Had a bit of a near disaster last night, I dug out the BR loco transfer sheet, Argh! no small lion thingies! A quick look on 'Peters Spares' website (could nip through today) none in stock! ordered some from Mainly trains, should arrive in time.

post-7104-0-36164200-1378120507_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Paul

I assume you have selected a number based on a photograph. If not then note that there were very few with Ross pops. Also many never received cab doors. On the right the support bracket for the reverse quadrant was clearly visible when no door was present.

ArthurK

• RMweb Gold

Hi Arthur,

Yes I have 2 photos of it (68409) front and rear, taken inside Blyth shed just after it moved there from Middlesbrough, it appears to have both doors and Ross pops. I'm glad it has doors as these, together with the driver and fireman will hide the DCC chip. The valves can't be seen as they are in shadow but there is definitely no trumpet.