Where are the Hornby, Bachmann and Dapol factories ?

Where are the factories which produce the OO gauge models for Hornby, Bachmann and Dapol ? Are they all in China now ? Does each company only have one factory or are various models produced around the country at different sites ?

Has anybody ever been to any of these factories to visit and see inside ?

If I am correct, most of the production of model railways for both Hornby and Bachmann is carried out by Sander Kan industries which in turn is owned by Kader Holdings Company Limited - whose Hong Kong headquarters is situated at 11/F Kader Building, 22 Kai Cheung Road in Kowloon Bay, Hong Kong.

Most production is in the Guangdong province of the people's republic of China, Guangdong also hosts the largest Import and Export Fair in China called the Canton Fair in the capital city of Guangzhou.

Other factories in the same area supply Tomix, LifeLike, Brawa, Heljan, Maerklin, etc.

The Gala group of industries is another key manufacturer of model railway products for Western clients.

The manufacture of model railways tends to be situated in one location within one province.

Factory visits for the general public unless as potential clients are not permitted.

DesA

• Like 2

Yes all in China.

Bachmann is part of Kader.

Hornby get stuff made by Kader now they bought their old supplier but the 28xx was allegedly built by another factory, name unknown.

No idea who Dapol is using in China.

There have been tours of Chinese factories shown in the press before now but I doubt anyone will plan their holiday around a visit ;). Maybe Dapol Dave can share some snaps next time he plans a visit?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes all in China.

Bachmann is part of Kader.

Hornby get stuff made by Kader now they bought their old supplier but the 28xx was allegedly built by another factory, name unknown.

No idea who Dapol is using in China.

There have been tours of Chinese factories shown in the press before now but I doubt anyone will plan their holiday around a visit ;). Maybe Dapol Dave can share some snaps next time he plans a visit?

I thought Dapol production was still in this country?

Some Dapol production is but a lot is carried out in China - they lost some Britannias when the DHL plane flying them to the UK crashed.

To sum up the original question

Bachmann - Kader (and owned by them)

Hornby - Sanda Kan (who are now owned by Kader) and another unknown manufacturer

Dapol - unknown

• Like 1

The design work has always been Chinese I think (they lost the CAD for the 22 for example) and so has chassis manufacture, now I think complete models are coming into the country already done. Dapol Dave has been asked to clarify that one before but I don't think there was a full answer anywhere.

The 4mm specials might still be printed on in Wales hence allowing such small runs?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The design work has always been Chinese I think (they lost the CAD for the 22 for example) and so has chassis manufacture, now I think complete models are coming into the country already done. Dapol Dave has been asked to clarify that one before but I don't think there was a full answer anywhere.

The 4mm specials might still be printed on in Wales hence allowing such small runs?

Aaahh that would explain that, I have noted in the past that they will do small runs which cannot be cost effective in China.

So what do Hornby make in Margate now then? because im sure the factory was still producing, unless they just do the Railroad stuff??

Dapol used to have thier factory in Llangollen, along with a Dr Who exibition! You could take factory tours. Now Dapol have moved just down the road to the South of Chirk, they have a shop there, but its only a small ind unit, so guess its just used for the design etc.

• Like 1

So what do Hornby make in Margate now then? because im sure the factory was still producing, unless they just do the Railroad stuff??

Dapol used to have thier factory in Llangollen, along with a Dr Who exibition! You could take factory tours. Now Dapol have moved just down the road to the South of Chirk, they have a shop there, but its only a small ind unit, so guess its just used for the design etc.

Hornby just design marketing and disturbition since 1997 the marget site has I believe no manufacture facility

Dapol They actually make stuff using chinse supplied chasis and possable tooling.

• Like 1

Hornby just design marketing and disturbition since 1997 the marget site has I believe no manufacture facility

Dapol They actually make stuff using chinse supplied chasis and possable tooling.

I took a delivery of concrete into Margate about 4 years ago, did not get to talk to anyone, but it 'seemed' to be an active plant, there were metal stillages being unloaded from a wagon in the yard there, I know they make a range of toys now so maybe its that rather than trains/scalextrix being made??

Am down by Chirk next Monday, will try and pop into Dapol and ask the question, good excuse for a nose in the shop anyway...:P

• Like 2

So what do Hornby make in Margate now then? because im sure the factory was still producing, unless they just do the Railroad stuff ?

I thought that Hornby manufacture nothing whatsoever, but contract it all out.

Products from across their entire portfolio come from China (e.g. model railway products from Kader owned Sanda Kan, plus at least one other new supplier) and also India (some products now coming from there, IIRC Airfix).

I believe Hornby's digital electronic products (Scalextrix & DCC) come from SGAI Tech of Hong Kong.

SGAI Tech is a joint venture between Cambridge based Sagentia (formerly known as Scientific Generics) and Hong Kong based AML.

Scientific Generics (now known as Sagentia) developed the digital products.

There are a number of other Chinese manufacturers producing model train products for North American and European brands, including Shine Dew, Rolland, Regal Way, Modern Gala etc.

Anyone recognise these?.....

Shine Dew British PO wagon (1)

Shine Dew British PO wagon (2)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm fairly sure Bachmann Collectors' Club have arranged holidays in China including Kader factory tours.

The Bachmann Collector's Club arranged a trip to Hong Kong SAR and China to visit the Kader offices in Hong Kong and the factory in China (at what used to called Canton) six or seven years ago - and I was lucky to join the group after which I headed to Japan for a tour arranged by the Japanese Railway Society.

The factory was an interesting place - we were shown all the different production processes from design to building to testing. Saw one of the proving models for the Japanese Series 500 Shinkansen being produced for the Tenshodo Model Shop in Tokyo in the drawing office, saw tools being cut, valve gear being put together on Bachmann Branchline models and testing being done on a shipment of trainsets for Bachmann America. Photography was not allowed in the factory and we were kept together in small groups. Assembly work was done by legions of young Chinese girls who lived in company-owned dormatories next to the factory.

In Hong Kong we visited the Kader offices to meet the Management and hear about the activities of Kader. We were able to see various display cabinets with the products produced by Kader which included some N-gauge stuff for Tomix in Japan. All participants were then presented with a Bachmann model of a Chinese diesel loco.

Kader looked after well. A day trip by coach and Chinese Rail in search of Chinese steam and narrow gauge was interesting - managed to see a QJ slowly rusting away at a diesel loco depot but, unfortunately the narrow gauge that was operating when Bachmann did their research had ceased operating by the time of our visit - the stock was slowly rusting away. We caught a mainline train from the site of the narrow gauge - and Kader had arranged for the train to make a special stop at the station so we could board. The trip ended with a night cruise on Hong Kong Harbour.

All in all, a great trip. Wonder if any other participants appear on RM Web......

Keith

• Like 2

• 10 years later...

Hi all,

The answer is easy. It's all made in China. China have taken over the world and we just do not know it yet. About 75% of all the goods we buy from TV's to clothes They are made in China. They could bring the western world and a large part of the rest of the world to a grinding halt by just stopping exports for a few weeks. Fair play to them. They offered a service that we could not price match at a quality that was just as good. Simple economics. We want cheap goods, They have provided cheap goods and have basically taken over the markets. They have basically become the workshop of the world in the past 30 years.

Edited by cypherman

2 hours ago, wirey33 said:

I believe Chirk is just a mis-spelling of China......or is it the other way around?

Dapol still have a UK factory in Chirk. 

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search/Dapol+Ltd,+Gledrid+Industrial+Park,+Chirk,+LL14+5DG+Wrexham,+UK./@52.9196054,-3.0460217,236m/data=!3m1!1e3