Bachmann announcements - 2011

Andy Y

........................ Interesting, on MREMag today there is a comment that Bachmann has said that the BP has a new type of decoder that will work on DC and DCC and that the electrics mean that it cannot be supplied without a decoder fitted. .......................

Oh dear, I forsee "the future" - and it looks like "non-DC" locos are now going to be a few pounds more expensive !

At least with Bachmann trying this out on the Blue Pullmans there should be a large feedback if the decoders break down just working on 12V DC.

Oh dear, I forsee "the future" - and it looks like "non-DC" locos are now going to be a few pounds more expensive !

At least with Bachmann trying this out on the Blue Pullmans there should be a large feedback if the decoders break down just working on 12V DC.

Since Bachmann have been supplying Dual-Mode decoders in their North American stock for a while, I don't think it is a big stretch to apply the same technology to their UK-outline stock. Whether it will be happy with the various and curious DC supply schemes used by UK modellers remains to be seen.

Adrian

Thanks, Andrew. Does the picture in the catalogue show the loco's running number clearly? The web version is quite blurred.

The photos in the catalogue show "2244" which for the record was the DCC fitted version from a year or 2 ago.

Since Bachmann have been supplying Dual-Mode decoders in their North American stock for a while, I don't think it is a big stretch to apply the same technology to their UK-outline stock. Whether it will be happy with the various and curious DC supply schemes used by UK modellers remains to be seen.

Adrian

Not sure what this is about as DCC decoders by default will operate on DC anyway. The feature can be turned off so that a decoder fitted loco will not run on DC

• RMweb Premium

I think the issue is those of us who are DC only but use high frequency electronic track cleaners such as the Gaugemaster system I use. These could potentially fry DCC chips which if it is permanently incorporated into the model as appears to be the case with the forthcoming Blue Pullman could lead to a lot of problems.

Also this will raise the hackles of those DCCer's who prefer their own brand of chips for various reasons rather than the manufacturer supplied versions.

The howls of protest in MREMag land will be deafening!!

EDIT: My mistake, it would appear the teddy tossing and willy waving in MREMag land from the anti DCC brigade (the model railway world equivalent of 'disgusted of Tunbridge Wells') has already begun!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

In the words of the late great Nat King Cole, 'There may be trouble ahead...'

The howls of protest in MREMag land will be deafening!!

EDIT: My mistake, it would appear the teddy tossing and willy waving in MREMag land from the anti DCC brigade (the model railway world equivalent of 'disgusted of Tunbridge Wells') has already begun!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Most amusing is the bloke who seems to think the Blue Pullman only comes with DCC sound. mremag does seem to attract a lot of comments from the armchair..

• RMweb Premium

Hope your 'dig' at MREmag was tongue in cheek John as many of its contributors write on this site as well! And despite your portayal it is the site most viewed by and contributed to by the manufacturers so it must do something right, anyway back to subject.

And despite your portayal it is the site most viewed by and contributed to by the manufacturers so it must do something right, anyway back to subject.

In compiling his reference works (like the Ramsay's Guide) Mr. Hammond clearly maintains excellent relationships with the manufacturers. I presume that since he has these personal contacts and personally moderates every posting on MREmag to reduce hyperbole, the manufacturers' marketing representatives are willing to engage in answering questions that arise from MREmag readers. I find this to be one of the most useful aspects of MREmag.

I'm not sure that the manufacturers necessarily read MREmag. Perhaps they do, but it appears as though Mr. Hammond sends them a note and they respond to that.

• RMweb Premium

Oh don't get me wrong, MREMag is good. It is just that it does seem to attract from time to time the odd letter from someone who does go a bit OTT on the moral outrage at being 'forced' to buy DCC fitted products, one the other day from some chap listing all the things he won't be giving Bachmann his money for because they all come DCC fitted, including the Blue Pullman was an extreme example!

My response to that chap is, it's only a hobby, no need to get so het up about it. Some people do take this really way, way too seriously. There are far more important things in the world to get up on soapboxes about out there in the real world.

• RMweb Premium

Does any body know anything about the Class 85?

Yes I was told they were expecting resin test shots from the cad files of the cabs from china this week to check them, what happens next I don't know, but at least they are making progress with it.

Cheers, Richard

The latest edition of the Bachmann Collectors Club magazine has a CAD image of the Derby Lightweight MBS. The narrative states "careful development has allowed two derivatives to be manufactured". The image shows what appears to be an MBS from the West Cumberland batch - like the preserved example, with a single large window next to the guard's compartment. The very first (and very different, short-lived and incompatible) West Riding power-twin batch also had this window. Later builds had two small windows and a larger van area. Doing both 'yellow diamond' versions will be good.

Guest Max Stafford

Does any body know anything about the Class 85?

Yes.

They were big, blue, had lots of yellow on the front with a funny bed frame thing on the roof. I used to see lots of them at Glasgow Central... ;)

Dave.

I think you are missing the point - the announcement is IMO a balanced view of meeting the varied expectations of modellers (and probably collectors) that span decades of prototype railway history. The fact that a Q6, J21 and J27 (or whatever LNER loco class) is missing doesn't really disrupt that balance significantly. Modellers of other regions could make the same claim.

I do find curious the fact that yet another version of Mallard plus news of an upgraded B1 has been announced - I find this type of duplication daft, but others find it great because it introduces 'competition' in a very small part of the market from a pricing perspective - it also deflects from other investments... dilbert

I also think your missing my point. How can it be ballanced when NO models are produced for a region, when others get an entire fleet allocation done. Modelling the North East of England as I do doesnt give you much scope, save of using engines from other areas and regions. In the last 6 or 7 years, what has been produced? A K3, an L1? Hardly overwhelming and especially since they were not prevailant in the North East proper. Yet other regions could have a pool of engines right down from a crack express to the station pilot. Yes some are available, but not to high standards. Hornby have still done the A3 and A4, Bachmann with the A1 and A2, but the north east was more freight than crack expresses. Yes the O4 has been made, but its not my scene and thats the problem with LNER engines, some will rejoice while other areas fume.....

And as for spanning decades of history, how can that be valid, when regions allocations are not covered at all? Especially one as vital and as historically significant as the North East of England.... its where trains started and save a J72 outdated model, theres nothing at all from 1825, to 1922 in model form. Thats almost a century and while most wont want nineteenth century engines, the NER was a significant factor in the LNER, yet there are no engines like a Q6, yet a super-D made, which I think itsnt designed as well as its NER cousin but that will come as no surprise to some.

Upgrading chassis is sound busisness case if the product will make a return on the investment. Producing novelty engines over obvious contenders that would lead to future expansion is what I question... make a Q6 and more will want that J27, J21, G5 etc. People model what the companies make, especially if resin made buildings come too....

• RMweb Premium

Most amusing is the bloke who seems to think the Blue Pullman only comes with DCC sound. mremag does seem to attract a lot of comments from the armchair..

I have a sneaking suspicion (sp) that the folk on MRE Mag could possibly find the odd comment on RMweb that to them seems OTT or unbalanced. Parts of this thread, a big chunk of the Hornby announcement thread and dare I say much of the Stove R thread could easily be classed as 'willy waving' by our own armchair mob. And of course there are many folk who read and contribute to both sites - so in reality there's no 'them and us', just 'willy wavers and non willy wavers' ;-)

Errr, wavers of WHAT?

I know of Wandering Willie on the Waverley route, but at no time has any part of this - admittedly sometimes all-consuming - hobby, ever encouraged that sort of behaviour. Am I doing it wrong? Is it restricted to a certain gauge or era, maybe it's a finescale thing. I know I wouldn't want to kitbash it. blink.gif

Hello All,

one thing that I have not noticed been taken into consideration by the NE group is the Bachmann have now produced 0-6-0s for three of the big four group. So depending on sales maybe next year for the L.N.E.R. group.

The super D was to be found all over the L.M.S. in England so was pretty logical and there is one to measure up. A long lived class as well 192? - just about the end of steam. Also the chassis with some small modifications could be used for some of the other L.N.W.R. eight coupled locos, one that springs to mind is the 0-8-2T.

I would like to see F.R D5 but I know there's not a hope in hell for that, so if I want one its get the nickle silver out and get the soldering iron on.

One thing that I am noticing is that Bachmann are going more to DCC only fitted for some of the new releses.

OzzyO.

Archived