FTG Models - SPA wagon - Network Rail

Hugh Flynn

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Good news Hugh - another livery variation for you!!

Noted recently that DBShenker have put some SPA back into revenue service - even rebranded them!

A bit of a messy job - but at least they are in use!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eagle50043/16210780404/in/set-72157629727528202

Thanks

Hi

Yes good news, problem is getting permission from DB but I did obtain some info a few weeks ago that EWS does not have copy write on EWS type set as it is in the public domaine.

But it has it on the bheestie logo as it was designed by them? 

Hugh

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Yes good news, problem is getting permission from DB but I did obtain some info a few weeks ago that EWS does not have copy write on EWS type set as it is in the public domaine.

But it has it on the bheestie logo as it was designed by them? 

Hugh

It must terrify the Germans that a few railway modellers might want to put their logos on little engines and give them free advertising.

Tomorrow, the world.

Mike.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Hugh,

I don't know what elements of the livery DB Schenker retain rights for. I do know - as we have discovered with ourRevolution trains post 2006 TEA wagons - that they are very protective of their intellectual property and will not make exceptions, no matter how small the organisation.

The SPAs in the older EWS livery of maroon/yellow just have the EWS lettering on the bodysides in GIll Sans bold, and no "beasties" logo that I'm aware of. The font itself is widely available, but the font is just one part of it: when you use it to spell out EWS on the side of a wagon in the correct colour the company would probably consider that as breaching whatever restrictions they may have in place.

Whether they'd choose to act on it is a matter for them, and whether they would win in court is something we can't say unless someone is brave (or foolhardy!) enough to take them on.

As for the latest livery variant, the name DB Schenker as applied with the DB logo in a box and that specific typeface would again clearly be something they would consider is theirs.

Cheers

Ben A.

The EWS/DBS Trademark there does not cover class 28 however, unlike DRS:

Still wouldn't like to risk it though.

Class 28 Toy and model railway engines, railway locomotives and kits of parts for assembly to produce toy or model railway engines or toy or model railway locomotives; parts and fittings for the aforesaid goods.

• 2 weeks later...

Was the Beastie logo designed by them? Thought it was designed by a member of the public in a competition of some form?

Rail magazine. The design would still belong to DBS though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Well yes I wish I could have sold them for that?

Got to say sorry wanted to have 2nd wagon sorted by now but Cad designer has been unwell but he e mailed me saying he is on the mend so hoping things will start and move along shortly.

Hugh

• RMweb Premium

I've had another painting session with one of the SPA's, this one has come out as ex-Loadhaul ZCA 460165 -

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaOCA74.jpg

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaOCA76.jpg

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaOCA78.jpg

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaOCA80.jpg

I've got some more info over on my Workbench thread (link in sig) - a really fun project and wishing you the best of luck with the next wagon Hugh!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived