Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Is this where we can put wish lists?

JZ

When petrol is increasing in price even when the barrel of crude is down, and it will definetely go up in the New Year when the price of crude increases, little 'ol Britian doesnt stand a chance of recovering even in 2010. Transporation costs will inevitaby rise and the price of goods will shoot up, on top of which we all have to start repaying the debt sooner or later. Now if people start being cautious about spending, goodness knows how long we'll be in recession.

So as well as keeping an eye on cost of manufacture in China, Hornby and Bachmann etc will also be looking at their core 4mm/00 market in Britain and wondering if it is worth going in for big investments at this time. How many RMwebbers are planning to spend cautiously next year I wonder, or are awaiting the outcome of the General Election?

I suspect the best we can hope for next year is the release of items already in the pipeline and new liveries on existing models.

LG

• RMweb Gold

The interesting thing about recessions in the Uk is that they have usually led to an increase in spend on model railways - certainly in all the 'step backs' since the 1970.

This time round the recession situation is different - biting deeper and wider and bound to last longer. But thus far what I have heard suggests that the old pattern has re-emerged with hobby, especially model railway, spend rising as people go for simpler pleasures than expensive nights out or weekends away.

In theory I suppose the cut in VAT might have helped but as the saving has only been a shade over ??2 in every ??100 spent I suspect that has not had too much impact although every penny saved is always worthwhile.

I think too that the model railway market is also working a bit like the auction market at present with products perceived as 'high quality' (which tends to mean detail and realism more than anything else when thinking about the purchase) tempting people to spend. There is also the threat of price inflation for all the reasons Larry mentions above incentivising others to buy now because it's bound to cost more next year. And of course the value of the money in our pockets has declined at a rate unknown since the 1930s which also means 'spare' cash is better invested in goods than sitting in a bank losing value (well that's what I tell herself ;) ).

What will happen next is anyones guess but I suspect the marketeers will have latched very firmly onto a couple of basic factors in the present market - if it's good and sensibly priced it is going to sell, and if I pick the right thing it can even create a new market or sustain an existing one.

So the latter might mean Hornby hitting a GWR trail next year (coaches, please, coaches) as they looked at advance orders for 'Castles' when deciding next year's new products back in August/September of this year. Bachmann have exploited the opening of new market areas with the G2 adventure and dmus while Heljan have found a niche, at the moment, in bringing out the 'missing' diesels and Dapol can just sit back and let someone else take the development risk in 4mm scale while devoting their own cash resources to 2mm.

Of all of this I find the Dapol situation potentially the most worrying. I think Bachmann and Hornby are big enough and broad enough based to continue to support product development in their own right. Presumably Heljan are making money when they get things right? But will the Dapol situation act as a signal to the others that they can shift the cost of development off their books onto someone in the supply chain, and will that ultimately stifle the appearance of new products because the model shops simply haven't got the financial resources of the big manufacturers?

My other concern is that if development money becomes tighter will the big manufacturers concentrate on models which require the simplest input. It must be a lot cheaper to go out and electronically scan something which exists and then get that data into CAD than it is to hunt down drawings and other information to model something which no longer exists - so start choosing from what's out ready there to scan if you want to encourage them!

• RMweb Gold

Here, here! I'm really surprised no-one's done it so far. Wide range of liveries, traffic flows and a fairly long timespan - still in use today. Go on Dapol/Hornby/Bachmann - you know it makes sense... (maybe Kernow could do a special comission!)

The only problem with a polybulk is that while there are a lot of liveries, practically all of them are on different designs.

Taking the rounded shape (along the lines of the Joeff model in HO) thats most commonly associated by modellers with a polybulk, you have the long version for grainflow (with a number of round roof hatches), then there is a shorter version with a similar profile and full length sliding roof doors (used on China Clay amounst other things). There is also a bunch of flat sided versions as well.

That said, the china clay version would be a wagon I would very much like to see modelled, and Bachmann do have the bogie in their range already.....

Hmmm, oh so many. But, first that come to mind;

RTR; FFA/FGA. I'm aghast to know why we don't have these already... (Two FGA's in a pack, FFA's available singularly).

A decent Class 40, if Hornby / Vi-Trains update the Lima molding with a decent Bachmann-esk motor (Preferably without rigid 6 wheel drive) I expect I'd own all 200 Class 40's by my retirement...

A working scale British drop-head buckeye coupling

More Mk2's, preferably decent air-con ones.

Bachy Mk1's minus roof ribbing, and more of the ######!

There is probably a lot more, but thats like my top 5.

• RMweb Gold

The thing is, I really do want a Blue Pullman! :rolleyes: ...................

Don't we all.............. :P erm no!

COVHOPS, which we did try to circumnavigate, but all seems quiet of late.

In the tradition of early type 2's if there was an RTR 'Wanderloaf' and a Clayton that worked, they'd be great companions with the early bacchy 108 you'd just need the even earlier Lightweight DMU's I'd probably become ensconsed with the Cumbrian Coast and it s branches forever!

• RMweb Premium

The interesting thing about recessions in the Uk is that they have usually led to an increase in spend on model railways - certainly in all the 'step backs' since the 1970.

This time round the recession situation is different - biting deeper and wider and bound to last longer. But thus far what I have heard suggests that the old pattern has re-emerged with hobby, especially model railway, spend rising as people go for simpler pleasures than expensive nights out or weekends away.

In theory I suppose the cut in VAT might have helped but as the saving has only been a shade over ??2 in every ??100 spent I suspect that has not had too much impact although every penny saved is always worthwhile.

I think too that the model railway market is also working a bit like the auction market at present with products perceived as 'high quality' (which tends to mean detail and realism more than anything else when thinking about the purchase) tempting people to spend. There is also the threat of price inflation for all the reasons Larry mentions above incentivising others to buy now because it's bound to cost more next year. And of course the value of the money in our pockets has declined at a rate unknown since the 1930s which also means 'spare' cash is better invested in goods than sitting in a bank losing value (well that's what I tell herself ;) ).

What will happen next is anyones guess but I suspect the marketeers will have latched very firmly onto a couple of basic factors in the present market - if it's good and sensibly priced it is going to sell, and if I pick the right thing it can even create a new market or sustain an existing one.

So the latter might mean Hornby hitting a GWR trail next year (coaches, please, coaches) as they looked at advance orders for 'Castles' when deciding next year's new products back in August/September of this year. Bachmann have exploited the opening of new market areas with the G2 adventure and dmus while Heljan have found a niche, at the moment, in bringing out the 'missing' diesels and Dapol can just sit back and let someone else take the development risk in 4mm scale while devoting their own cash resources to 2mm.

Of all of this I find the Dapol situation potentially the most worrying. I think Bachmann and Hornby are big enough and broad enough based to continue to support product development in their own right. Presumably Heljan are making money when they get things right? But will the Dapol situation act as a signal to the others that they can shift the cost of development off their books onto someone in the supply chain, and will that ultimately stifle the appearance of new products because the model shops simply haven't got the financial resources of the big manufacturers?

My other concern is that if development money becomes tighter will the big manufacturers concentrate on models which require the simplest input. It must be a lot cheaper to go out and electronically scan something which exists and then get that data into CAD than it is to hunt down drawings and other information to model something which no longer exists - so start choosing from what's out ready there to scan if you want to encourage them!

Hi Stationmaster. Do Comet not do enough GWR coaches for your delight?

Cheers, PR ex 83D

• RMweb Premium

Entering into the spirit of pre-Christmas and on on the basis that 'Wish Lists are OK threads' now, I concur with the OP about a Fowler 7F 0-8-0 (Austin 7) ??76.00 smile.gif

Also on a purely personal basis....

Ex. LYR 'A' Class 0-6-0 Tender loco.....??65.00

LMS Caprotti Black Five (low running plate) ...??90.00

LG.

Hi Larry. Have you had a look at the Comet Caprotti 5? OK it will set you back some pennies, however, with your skills you could knock one up in a weekend. If I can build one, I'm certain you can AND I only had to paint it black!!

Sincerely, I.Vatt

• RMweb Premium

I never travelled any part of the S&D, but it does seeem to hold a precious place in the heart of many UK modellers, so I'm inclined to agree this one might sell very well if priced acordingly. Also, do I not recall that a 7F sat in the old Kentish Town loco shed for some years - miles from home?

The issue of cheaper locos with fewer detail parts added is interesting. Enables more mum-and-dad purchases for the kids, while allowing the half-competent modeller to enhance the loco to his/her tastes. The "generic 0-6-0" is also bang-on for cost/benefit to us all, and yes, a LSWR 700-class Black Motor or LBSC C2x Vulcan would go down very well here.

Hi Olddddddddddthingys. The C2X! The DJH version is ever so easy to build. It must be 'cause I've done one. It's a bit expensive compared to RTR but at least you would have one and you only have to paint it black.

The PDK 700 is a different kettle (oh er pun) of fish!

Have a go!

Phil, ex 72A

Mallard60022 said :

Have you had a look at the Comet Caprotti 5? OK it will set you back some pennies, however, with your skills you could knock one up in a weekend.

I think I've posted one in my model gallery. Four or five days spent building a loco kit for myself isn't fun anymore, besides I still have to do some work for other people. This is why I plump for RTR locos and wagons nowadays...

LG

Okay here is my wishlist...for RTR 7mm, i.e Heljan, Tower, Brassworks, San Cheng etc.

1. LMS 2P 4-4-0

2. BR Rebuilt West Country/Battle of Britain

3. WD 2-8-0 or 2-10-0

4. BR Class 17 Clayton

5. SR S15 4-6-0

With the amount of different classes being produced by the aformentioned companies at the moment, hopefully wont have to wait too long until even justone of the above locos will be produced!

As for rolling stock, sill wating for JLTRT to bring out some Bulleid coaches.....

Cheers,

Stephen

Coaches: can Hornby please make a Gresley BG and a Stanier composite to augment their existing range?

... some suitable Suburban coaches ie Gresley or a quad art set

I'm with you guys -- the Gresley BG and Stanier composite are obvious range-fillers (I was pleasantly surprised at how swiftly Hornby added good range-fillers to the Maunsells, but the Gresleys and Staniers seem to be languishing).

Grouping era suburban/branch stock would add diversity (and an N7 would be lovely with them, but I don't want to be greedy).

A Gresley articulated set (the thread elsewhere on RMWeb has been fascinating) would be a real must-have for me (and I can see it in train packs like Hornby's recent Eastern Valleys set). I'm content to pay the going rate for all these things -- say 30-35 or so per coach.

There have been lots of discussions about LNER locos -- if it's too much to get never-before produced locos I'd very much welcome new tooling for Hornby's old stalwarts, the B12 and B17. Happy to pay Schools rates for all new steam locos.

New tooling for two other Hornby locos would also be very welcome: the LMS 4F and 2P.

Looking South, Hornby's fantastic job at building a market for Southern equipment has opened the doors for Bachmann's brave venture into Southern EMUs. I'd like to see at least one Grouping-era EMU (and I think that Hornby for a long time had a 2-car SR unit in its catalogue -- a 2-LAV, maybe -- but any SR-era unit would be welcome: 2-BIL, 2-HAL, etc). Again, content to pay the going rate.

Finally, like many others I think the near-saturation we're reaching in the coverage of diesel-electric locos will force manufacturers to look to other sectors, and it will be interesting to see the reception given to Heljan's forthcoming Cl.86. I'd welcome some earlier overhead electrics -- like the MSW 76s, and the WCML AL1-5s. The approach Hornby have taken with the Southern might be repeated in this new sector, building a new market stage-by-stage: beyond that, it's therefore probably a bit too early for much more wish-listing in that sector.

Paul

Wishlists you say? I've mentioned it somewhere else on RMWeb, but I'm hoping that once Dapol have released their previously announced Class 26 they'll do the obvious thing and move on to the Class 33 (& 27, I guess!). The Farish Class 33 is looking pretty tired now, appears to only be available in one livery, and was never done in a 33/1 variant (even though it's engineered with removable cabs!)

I assume we're talking about 2011 because new stuff for next year much be pretty much sorted by the big players.

It would be nice to see some new DMU's appear and I'd be happy with ??120 (allowing for the time delay and inevitable inflation!)for a 3 car unit such as a 117.

Equally a new 73 and 74 would be desirable. I suspect Heljan will eventually get round to them the rate they are going through the combined volume - about ??90 would be a tolerable price.

Whilst you're probably right I suspect firms like Hornby have some interesting drawings dating back to Lord knows when tucked away in some cupboard somewhere. If it was measured back in the 60's they probably would have had the real thing to crawl over.

Stu

And exactly how much are you willing to pay for the Blue Pullman that you want so badly?

Peter

Its not my era and i dont want one, but i would expect new tooling for a blue pullman of todays standards to mean a powered and dummy car for ??100 and about ??25 a coach.

I dont know what the formation was, i guess 7 coaches or so?

• RMweb Gold

Its not my era and i dont want one, but i would expect new tooling for a blue pullman of todays standards to mean a powered and dummy car for ??100 and about ??25 a coach.

I dont know what the formation was, i guess 7 coaches or so?

6 for the midland

8? for the western

(both including the powercars)

The problem with this is of course that there is so little in common between them, so would require some clever tool making to cover all the variations. That said, at around the 100 mark for the powercar and 20-30 for the intermediate coaches I'd certainly end up with one set (even though its of no use and I am trying to thin down my collection).

Guest Max Stafford

Covhops, NBL 6100 and a new 101 or a 100 would do me now. Maybe a 24t hopper from Parkside.

Anything else I can make for myself now! :)

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

6 for the midland

8? for the western

(both including the powercars)

The problem with this is of course that there is so little in common between them, so would require some clever tool making to cover all the variations. That said, at around the 100 mark for the powercar and 20-30 for the intermediate coaches I'd certainly end up with one set (even though its of no use and I am trying to thin down my collection).

That's the spirit. I think it's great that we can end up with something EVEN THOUGH it's of no use and we are trying to thin down! I've been doing that for decades and the evidence is in the loft, on my layout, on the workbench, on my bookshelves and even in the post! Hey ho! Who cares anyway? I could have popped my clogs this time next week! :blink:

Sincerely, O.B. Sessivecollector.

I'm with you guys -- the Gresley BG and Stanier composite are obvious range-fillers (I was pleasantly surprised at how swiftly Hornby added good range-fillers to the Maunsells, but the Gresleys and Staniers seem to be languishing).

Paul

A Gresley BG is an obvious one to go for in a lot of ways and in teak would be a thing of stunning beauty. However I suspect there could be a technical problem in that the the existing stuff is a touch broad in the beam. I don't recall the details although they were well dissected on the old site, but it does give Hornby a dilemma; either (1) they bring out a model which we know and they know is inaccurate, or (2) they correct it which will mean it won't fit in with all the existing stock. Either option is possible, but I suspect it'll be easier to simply duck the issue and do some GWR stuff instead.

Im not a great fan of wishlists but this one has so far been of interest, so here goes....

New Models: Im a D&E modeller in OO so these would be of real benefit to me and im sure a few others:

Class 67 - a proper job ala Hornby's Cl 60 with all the super detail - i'd be prepared to pay around ??90 for one

Class 73 - again a super detailed one, this would be welcomed by many modellers and Id be prepared to pay again about the ??90 mark

These would be the only two new models Id be hoping for given the current state of play but I reckon there must be a fair few quid to be made by Hornby/Bachmann/Vitrains with livery variations;

A quick few Id like to see are

Hornby Class 60 few different names/numbers

Bachmann Class 20 DRS Compass

A general release of the Hornby 56 Fastline and possibly Colas Artemis?

Bachmann 57 Advenza

Cheers

Neil

Well it is w***l**t season after all.

I can only endorse 34C's posting here, but adding coil designs too.

I feel there are some very sensible 'everyday' items of rolling stock that would be worth thinking about: the vehicles which many even quite modest layouts need in some number. Topping my list from a BR steam perspective:

LNER standard 12T van

LNER / BR Steel high sided open family.

LMS / BR corrugated steel end high sided open family.

LNER / LMS / BR 15 foot w/b twin bolster and plate wagon families (the number of 37s that sell, there must be at least 1% of the owners would perhaps consider a steelworks products train behind them... Busy backdating Bach's BDAs to bogie bolster D to fill that gap in my wagon stock.)

Price 'the going rate' for wagons to the standard of Hornby's Shark or Bachmann's 16T minerals. I would be after quite a number of each to supplement my existing kitbuilds.

In daydream mode yesterday I was musing on Bachmann's production of the shochigh, but ignoring the more popular "regular" - actually the whole family. Without having my books handy to refer to, would it not be a new one-piece moulding to go on an existing 10' fitted chassis like the range of 12T vans. Loads to choose from planks and steel or a mixture.

More LM and WR coaches have been asked for, which I totally agree with, but at a more reasonable price than the thirty odd quid RRP which Hornby are chasing. Although express stock is desirable I'd like a token non-corridor 2nd (or 3rd) to recreate a 1950s / 1960s commuter rake which operated into many big towns and cities. In my case I'd use a Mk1 suburban brake but would like three or four WR, and a similar number of LMS non corridors. for West Midlands services.

I know I am not the only RMwebber who repeatedly plumps for a 2 car LMS motor train rake - preferring the final P3 design.

Archived