Lime Street Station

Les Green

• RMweb Gold

All packed up and ready to go to Ally Pally. We even have nominated team leaders responsible for different aspects of the packing up process. Each team leader has a written detailed list of tasks to be done. All very efficient and it seems to work well so far.

Yes, Indeed!

The whole layout is now ready for loading into the van as this general view down the "shed" shows:

post-3984-0-68887900-1332360702_thumb.jpg

Everything on the railway has a place.

Here are two of the trolleys with baseboards stowed for transit:

post-3984-0-21462700-1332360676_thumb.jpg

Not much spare room:

post-3984-0-91165900-1332360521_thumb.jpg

The fabulous roof needs two cases, here with the roof builder Les:

post-3984-0-06250300-1332360598_thumb.jpg

And the roof sections during loading:

post-3984-0-91112700-1332360574_thumb.jpg

post-3984-0-58306900-1332360625_thumb.jpg

Finally, the trolleys get their bespoke dust covers:

post-3984-0-02153500-1332360649_thumb.jpg

While John and Pauline are busy on domestic matters.

It was a mild day in the North West today:

post-3984-0-75450900-1332360725_thumb.jpg

The next time most of the team will see this is when we unload at Ally Pally on Friday afternoon.

If you're coming to the show this weekend, do come and introduce yourself.

It always good to put a face to a name of our followers on RMweb.

We should have enough of the team available to answer any questions fully, so don't be shy.

Looking forward to an enjoyable weekend,

Steve for John, Les, Rob, Michael, Chris, Tony and John R.

• Like 5

Totally agree with Steve. We would like to meet any of you contributors to this thread. A few of you have said the crowds will be too deep to see anything. Just introduce yourself and we may be able to give you an insight to the layout.

• Like 2

Liverpool has many memories for me, 1969 - 72 I spent 3 years commuting there from Wigan - 2 years to Lime St whilst attending Riversdale tech & then 1 year to Exchange attending Birkenhead tech, (bus, train & ship to work !!).

This is a superb model, though I only remember the diesel / electric days at Lime St, the atmosphere of the place is skilfully captured & presented.

Incidentally, here is a superb site, literally thousands of Liverpool Photo's, old & new. Check out the pub pages !! You can spend hours on this site. Hope it's of interest.

http://www.inacityliving.piczo.com/?cr=7

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

Totally agree with Steve. We would like to meet any of you contributors to this thread. A few of you have said the crowds will be too deep to see anything. Just introduce yourself and we may be able to give you an insight to the layout.

Les - we'll definitely meet as my US layout is directly behind Lime Street at AP

Chris

• Like 1

Incidentally, here is a superb site, literally thousands of Liverpool Photo's, old & new. Check out the pub pages !! You can spend hours on this site. Hope it's of interest.

http://www.inacityli...piczo.com/?cr=7

Brit15

i know the owner of that site, he's a nice guy and has displayed his model at our club show one year and he also signed his books for me. they are full of great pics.

there is a great pic in there, 2nd row down on the right of Commutation row which Robin is painting onto the backscence.

Edited by michael delamar

Interesting to see your wheeled transport frames/trollies. I have plans for something similar for my tiny effort, if it ever reaches a fit state to take to exhibitions. As a matter of interest, do you use a tail-lift truck or ramps for loading/inloading. Any access problems ar exhibition halls?

Best wishes for an enjoyable & reliable time at Ally Pally. Sadly, I won't be able to attend due to prior commitments - some time in the future, for sure!

Dave.

Another example of the outstanding modelling that gets shown on this site, so making it view-able for all of us mere bodgers. This is up there with the best and is a must-see at Ally Pally - can't wait! Many congratulations to all concerned and good luck for the week-end.

Anthony

Managed to get in early and found Lime Street before everyone else and boy was it worth it. A very impressive layout and wonderful to see it in the flesh. Many thanks to John, Mike and Chris for taking the time to answer questions on turntables, buildings and stone walling. Well worth the trip up to London on it's own.

The engineering of the boards, electrics and transportation system was of a very high standard. Congratulations!

Thanks guys, you made my day...

Thanks to one and all, particularly Les for taking time to talk about his miraculous creation when he was busy decoding instructions!!

Infinitely better in the flesh than even the wonderful photographs here.

Good luck tomorrow!

Anthony

Day two of the exhibition today. Still plenty of interest in the layout. A big decision was made by the Lime Street team whilst at dinner last night. The centre section of the roof is now going ahead as phase two of the roof construction. (Must have been too much wine!) It will take a while as we are going to do the hotel model next. But, as usual, watch this space!

Thanks for all the comments yesterday , both from visitors and on this thread.

• Like 1

A busy Saturday at Ally Pally. Plenty of interest in the layout and a couple of RMWebbers have made themselves known to us.

post-8613-0-55781500-1332598089_thumb.jpg

post-8613-0-20422600-1332598116_thumb.jpg

We are glade we got in to see it first thing Saturday morning. It is out of this world.

RAY NORWOOD/ MUDMAGNET/ WESTCOUNTRYMAN

From Barnstaple N.Devon

HI

I would like to ask you how did you get the loading racks for the layout, as i am looking for somthing like this for my new layout?.

This layout just blows me away every time i come on here, well done to you all!.

All the best

Darren

I can only add to all the plaudits that others have already made about Lime Street. Having seen it at Ally Pally today, it is an incredibly impressive piece of modelling. When I was in short trousers (50 years ago!), we lived for a few years in and around Liverpool and I recall my late father taking me to trainspotting there once. I didn't take any numbers, but I can recall seeing a Duchess and a Jinty on pilot duties. Thanks for the memory!

One niggle - but please take it as a helpful suggestion! Locos bringing in trains were never left at the bufferstops after the coaches they had brought in were removed. It was against regulations to do so. What happened was that the incoming loco would follow the outgoing train up to the end of the platform and then stop at the platform starter in view of the signalmen. It would then depart on shed or to an engine bay when signalled. I recall seeing this at Liverpool Street and Euston in the days when there were loco hauled trains (and also at Munich in Germany).

A lot of modellers leave locos sitting at the bufferstops of stations for quite some time - I noticed the same thing on East Lynn, the rather attractive S scale layout in the Main Hall. I assume that it is because almost all trains these days are effectively multiple units so the situation doesn't arrive - and also track circuiting means that signalmen will be aware of anything left in a platform they are routing a train into.

Please don't take the above comment as a criticism. The modelling on Lime Street is far higher than I will ever achieve - and I'm glad I've had the opportunity to see it.

David C

The centre section of the roof is now going ahead as phase two of the roof construction. (Must have been too much wine!)

Excellent!

I spent a lot of time in Lime Street in the 'fifties and can't recall a big gap in the roof! I can though recall almost everything else about the model being there. Superb work people.

By the way, you need really to model the Legs og Man pub as well. For those who don't know the area, looking at the station from the steps of the George's Hall, it was fronted by the North Wetern hotel, to the left of which was and is the Empire Theatre, then the Legs of Man on the corner with London Road, so handy for the station. In fact, it was an integral part of the station for many crews between trains. I was told this story (from the 1980s) by a very good friend who was at that time a driver at Lime Street.

At that time, licensing hours required a closure between the lunchtime and evening openings, but the manager realised that, with trains arriving and leaving Lime Street throughout this period, he would be losing an awful lot of business. Then one afternoon, the police raided the Legs of Man and took away all those caught inside. There was chaos in the station as trains, long overdue for departure, stood alongside the platforms bereft of either driver or guard, or possibly both, who were 'helping the police with their inquiries'. Moreover, with so many platforms occupied, inbound trains were blocked back for many miles waiting for a platform to become free. Apparantly, it took hours to clear the mess.

Happily, my friend wasn't a customer of the Legs of Man!

was nice to get to see Lime St today at Ally Pally. That station roof just isn't done justice by photos! and seeing the car system in action was nice. Didn't get a huge amount of time to look at it sadly as other things distracted me, but I look forward to seeing it progress.