Lime Street Station

Les Green

Les, I'm guessing that these are going to be made using 3d printing for the ground signals that are required for the rest of the layout? If so then I presume that they will be non-functional?

Michael

We don't do 'non-functional'!

• Like 4

Les, I'm guessing that these are going to be made using 3d printing for the ground signals that are required for the rest of the layout? If so then I presume that they will be non-functional?

Michael

post-8613-0-68270500-1386690750_thumb.jpg

Yup, definitely functional!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifGround signal2.jpg

Yup, definitely functional!

The main body of the signal will be 3D printed in a "plastic" material, similar the Buffers.

The holes for the Pivots are "printed in" as is the hole for the fibre optic.

This latter is curved within the lamp body part of the signal, so that the fibre exits at an angle and avoids interfering with the Back Blinder.

He has used his 3D CAD system to "trial fit" all the assembled components to ensure it should work when it is actually made!

i.e. There is room for the balance arm to move sufficiently to move the Signal Arm properly etc.

Les will then be etching the mechanical parts - Arm, Back Blinder, Balance Arm, and Weight.

The pivots will be 0.45mm Lace pins, cut to size.

I'm really looking forward to this new way of making signals!

Steve.

edited for spelling.

Edited by SteveAtBax
  • Like 2

Out of interest, what spec mac? I'm toying with turbo cad for mine but don't know if it'll cope.

I am using a Macbook Pro. I used to use TurboCad in the dim and distant past. To print a 3D model you need to be able to export a 3D drawing to a .stl file. (STereoLithography). That is the easiest way. I think there are various conversion programs about to convert to other formats but I am not up to speed with any of them. I have heard of people using Google Sketch Up for 3D modelling and getting 3D printing done. Again don't know how.

• RMweb Gold

Progress on Les's Buffer Stops........

Earlier postings from Les showed the 3D Printed buffer stops.

He has now completed the assembly and basic painting of all 16.

On Tuesday evening he gave me one at our club meeting to fit the Lighting for the Stop lamp.

Here is the result, so far..........

attachicon.gifP1000623.JPG

This is the design with rounded beam ends, and extra horizontal beam for strength.

attachicon.gifP1000629.JPG

Here the lamp is lit.

attachicon.gifP1000625.JPG

The light is from an LED mounted underneath, routed up to the lamp via an optical fibre.

attachicon.gifP1000630.JPG

This is the turning which will help anchor the assembly and carries the LED and filters.

attachicon.gifP1000631.JPG

Here the LED is temporarily in place.

When the other fifteen have been completed, they will all go off to Rob for weathering before installing on the layout.

Steve.

A little more progress:

We've decided to use red LEDs rather than the "Gaslight" LEDs from Helmsman which required red filters.

Makes the job simpler :)

I've turned the brass plugs which will hold the LEDs and fitted each LED with a 1k Ohm resistor.

post-3984-0-41171800-1387299874_thumb.jpg

The positive leads have also been insulated with heat shrink sleeving.

post-3984-0-79955700-1387299870_thumb.jpg

When the Optical Fibre is fitted, about 3mm protrudes below the Buffer's base.

post-3984-0-31235100-1387299872_thumb.jpg

This is threaded into the brass turning, where it lines up with the LED which is secured with a little superglue.

post-3984-0-32004100-1387299865_thumb.jpg

The brass turning will locate the assemly in the baseboard:

post-3984-0-21794200-1387299867_thumb.jpg

and the necessary 12volt feed will be connected:

post-3984-0-82517900-1387299868_thumb.jpg

I'll get some pictures when the weathering and installation has been completed.

Steve.

• Like 11

The 'big boy' users of 3D printing refer to the process as 'additive layer manufacturing'! Does that mean that conventional old fashioned milling now becomes 'subtractive layer manufacturing' and chemical etching becomes 'advanced subtractive layer manufacturing'!!!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I thought the buffers were going to be fitted further back and buried into the platform edges.

They will be - after you've driven a couple of trains into them..................................... :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

I worked at Edge Hill in 1973 with the guard who caused all that. Funnily enough, his version of what happened differed slightly from that given in the report...

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_LimeStreet1949.pdf

They really knew how to deal with incidents in 1949.

The accident destroyed the buffers, the booking office beyond, the engine, several coaches, and punched a hole in the Hotel wall, some 60 feet beyond the buffers.

The police and ambulances arrived 4 minutes after the accident.

Station working was re-arranged and there were only slight delays to trains. The damaged stock was

removed by 7.0 p.m. on the same day and necessary repairs to the permanent way and concourse were

completed by 11.35 pm. on the following day, when normal working was resumed.

How long for such an incident to be dealt with today?

Steve.