Lime Street Station

Les Green

Steve,

Any updates on the installation of the new ground signals or John's progress with the trackwork? I understand you've all probably been very busy but I was informed that the ballasting was due to take place very soon. I think I recall Michael mentioning it when I spoke to him at Bracknell.

Michael

• RMweb Gold

Steve,

Any updates on the installation of the new ground signals or John's progress with the trackwork? I understand you've all probably been very busy but I was informed that the ballasting was due to take place very soon. I think I recall Michael mentioning it when I spoke to him at Bracknell.

Michael

Michael,

Some of us have been more busy than others!

I've just returned from four week's caravanning in France, so have done b......... all myself.

I've hoping to get to John's very shortly and I'll then post an update on progress of which I believe there has been quite a lot.

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

I eventually managed to get to John's today - traffic was completely grid locked in Preston and on the M6 M55.

Well worth the frustration though. Its weeks since I've seen the layout, and there has been quite some progress to report:

(Sorry its so "wordy", I hope you don't get bored)

First, the signals I delivered to John when we visited Mike Norris's railway at the end of June have been installed and connected to the control system.

post-3984-0-03615400-1405369321_thumb.jpg

This rather elevated viewpoint was all I could manage in the short time available at the end of the day.

The "baseplates" of the signals will be blended in with the gound works when Rob gets a chance.

(I did get a few other shots aound the station but they don't do the subjects justice. I'll try for better shots soon I hope.)

These signals use one of the improvements to the control systems which Geoff and John have been working on recently.

The capacity of the original "node" which allowed up to 32 semaphores to be controlled was insifficient, and a second node has been installed to give scope for many more signals.

On the electronics front, Geoff has installed another power supply in the "X Box" (the Sector Plate controller).

Consequently the train detection sensor has a local power source, rather than suffering voltage drop from a source several baseboards away.

This now ensures that the advanced starter signal (colour light with feather) operates reliably.

Improvements Geoff has made to the control software include an "Interlock" between the station and sector plate operators for station departures.

Previously, once a station operator set up a departure route he would wait for the sector plate operator to drive the train away. When the train was safely out of his section, he would "clear down" the route and get on with his next task.

However.........things didn't always go to plan!

1.  The station operator could "clear down" too soon, leaving the train stuck with no power in his section. He would then have to reset the route and pass control back to the sector plate operator to drive the train again.

2. The other problem came when a second departure was scheduled for the same "Up line". Having "cleared down" the original departure, the second departure could be set up by the station operator and control passed to the sector plate operator before he had in turn "cleared down" from the first departure. The result was the second departure following the first, until the sector plate operator completed his first movement, cleared down and left the second train abandoned somewhere en-route.

The interlock addresses this problem quite elegantly:

Once the station operator has set up a route , and it has been accepted by the sector plate operator, he can no longer "clear down" until the train has passed out of section.

Once the train is out of section, the appropriate bell code is sounded (2-1) and he can now clear down the route and get on with his next task.

If this was a subsequent departure on the same line, he can set it up, but it isn't passed to the sector plate operator until he has cleared down from the first  train and reset a route for the second.

A further improvement to the system at the station end helps the two opertors when they attempt something which the system can't cope with.

Previously there was a single alarm sound for all such happenings.

A second alarm sound has now been introduced to distinguish the instances where both operators try to get control of the Route Setting Computer simultaneously (a gentle sound meaning "just wait") from those where an operator tries to set an invalid route (a harsher sound meaning "you can't do that").

On the rolloing stock front, John's new L&Y 2-4-2T is on running-in turns,and his Crab has been breathed upon by Rob and John and now runs  very well indeed.

In addition to the developments I saw today, I'm aware of major activity in other areas, which I hope Les will be reporting on RMweb in the coming weeks. :mail:

The layout has three shows coming up later in the year:

Expo EM North in Manchester and the Halifax show in September, and then Cologne in November.

John is currently scheduling the opertor training sessions for the first two, so plenty of running in the coming weeks.

If you manage to get to any of these shows, do come along and say hello........................

Steve.

• Like 7

Finally, today, all the drawings for the hotel have been completed. All 90 of them. 1900 parts! All test pieces have been cut. I am now awaiting the first batch of parts to be cut then the building can start. Finished the drawings about four hours ago. Now I am bored, so i started the drawings for the North screen of the platform!!!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Preston 0 Guage Group visit...............

One of the Lime Street Team, Tony Stevenson, is also a very active member of the Preston 0 Guage group of modellers.

Today he brought a number of friends from that group to see "Lime Street Station" during one of our operating sessions.

John explained much about the development of the railway over its long history, and then the visitors spent time getting a really close insight into its construction and operation.

Following a "refreshment break" it was time for those visitors who wished to do so to "get their hands dirty" by operating the railway themselves.

These snaps show  a couple doing just that:

post-3984-0-02632300-1406582834_thumb.jpg

post-3984-0-66009000-1406582835_thumb.jpg

post-3984-0-46119700-1406582837_thumb.jpg

Everyone seemed to have a good time, and we certainly enjoyed hosting our visitors and having the chance to give an "in depth" explanation of "What, Why and How" we do things.

Steve.

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Another visit from Preston...............

This time it was the turn of Mike Norris's team of P4 modellers and operators on a return visit.

Mike and four of his friends, who had hosted us at his superb P4 model of Preston, a few weeks ago, spent Thursday afternoon with John and me at Lytham.

After a brief introduction by John they were quickly into the "drivers" seats, and they took to operating the layout like "ducks to water".

If we're ever short of operators, we'll know where to look!

Where Mike's layout is very much about being a signaller, with interlocked lever frames of enormous size to try to master, Lime Street is very much about driving the trains, with the Router computers managing all the complexities.

Here are a couple of snaps I managed on my phone:

post-3984-0-68391800-1408194472_thumb.jpg

Mike isn't praying, he's looking for a good vantage point!

post-3984-0-31497600-1408194452_thumb.jpg

Mike with two of his friends by the "Station" control panel.

I've rarely known an afternoon pass so quickly, there was hardly time for the tea and cakes!

Steve.

p.s.

Here's a picture of the whole group of visitors.

post-3984-0-00991600-1408209741_thumb.jpg

They seem to be enjoying themselves!

Edited by SteveAtBax
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Snipped.............snipped.............

The layout has three shows coming up later in the year:

Expo EM North in Manchester and the Halifax show in September, and then Cologne in November.

John is currently scheduling the opertor training sessions for the first two, so plenty of running in the coming weeks.

If you manage to get to any of these shows, do come along and say hello........................

Steve.

Operator training is now completed................

Today was the final "operator training day".

John Rocca, John H. and I managed two full runs through the complete sequence of operations.

I know I shouldn't stick my neck out, but the Layout seems to be working very well and all the operators are expoiting the new technical developments to produce a smooth performance. In the last run through today we complete the full schedule in 1hr 45min. whilst maintaining "scale-ish speeds". The same total set of train movements - Arrivals and Departures - used to take about 2hr 20min.

During the lunch break John was reminiscing about the first time we took Lime Street to an Expo EM event.

That time the venue was Bracknell. What a traumatic experience, with a layout that really wasn't ready to "go on the road".

The embrionic control panels suffered some transit damage, causing short circuits which blew several Chips in the main Routing Computer..

We had to resort to the "manual" back-up panels, but compared to using the "Routers", everything took an age.

Observers rightly commented that "Nothings Moves on Lime Street".

Looking ahead to EXpoEM North in a few weeks time, we hope we can lay that old ghost to rest, and hopefully the Liverpool Echo might have a more complimentary headline:

post-3984-0-65145400-1408996727_thumb.jpg

Steve.

• Like 18

At long last after years of planning the model of the hotel has been started. The components for three of the corner towers have sen cut and the photo below shows the core structure of the first of the towers.

post-8613-0-39682200-1409498844_thumb.jpg

And the core has the outer detail layer added.

post-8613-0-95818400-1409498953_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

I'm really not into the steam period but that aside I have to say the layout is of a magnificent level with outstanding detail all over....well done to all that are involved in the build of this truly amazing layout!!!

Terry

The model hotel currently under construction is a copy of the North Western Hotel on Lime street which was built in about 1875 and is still there to this day. It is not a hotel these days, but student accomdation. So it could be described as 'modern `image'! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm off to John's today to help him dismantle the layout and get it all packed ready for transporting to ExpoEM in Manchester tomorrow.

One of two opportunities you'll have to see the layout at a UK exhibition this year.

It will also be at Halifax in two weeks time.

Come along and make yourselves known, and you might get the "back-stage tour".............

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

John had got all the "extras" removed and stored in the their travel boxes etc. by the time I arrived, so we really only had the actual baseboards to deal with today. They are not a "one man job".

Here we've made a start:

post-3984-0-49027200-1410451959_thumb.jpg

The first three boards are in their transport frame:

post-3984-0-87041400-1410451962_thumb.jpg

The box on top, and on the frame in the background contain buildings and other smaller items.

John wheels the second transport frame into the shed for the next set of boards:

post-3984-0-14690200-1410451961_thumb.jpg

And here it is "loaded":

post-3984-0-15448600-1410451956_thumb.jpg

Time for a breather:

post-3984-0-58548300-1410451951_thumb.jpg

Those three boxes are required just for the Station Roof :O

Once all the packing was complete, we marshalled everything in the sequence required for loading the van:

post-3984-0-13210600-1410451953_thumb.jpg

And put the fitted dust covers over the frames:

post-3984-0-56719500-1410451949_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow it should take the two of us about an hour or so to load everything into the Luton van for the trip to Manchester.

Thank goodness for the Tail-lift. :)

Steve.

Edited by SteveAtBax
  • Like 11

I'll be in Manchester on Saturday (tomorrow) and it'll be nice to finally be able to see the layout. Can't wait.

I'm taking my camera too so I might put some photos up on Sunday or next week.

I may also bring along the drawing of the hotel that I posted a few pages back, just incase Les wants to have a look. Be nice to meet Steve again too and see some more of his work.

Really looking forward to this, just not the 05:30 wake up call and 3 hour drive there, not to mention the drive home!

See you there,

Michael

• RMweb Gold

We've done this several times now, so we have a "loading list" to follow:

It means we can load all the layout into a Luton bodied Transit, with tail-lift, and be confident it all fits.........

post-3984-0-18146800-1410557969_thumb.jpg

Since our last trip away, we've acquired a much more comfortable stool for the Sector Plate operator.

We managed to squeeze it in:

post-3984-0-62583400-1410557977_thumb.jpg

The layout even has its own suitcase for these trips:

post-3984-0-85944200-1410557973_thumb.jpg

(It contains the drapes)

Once we arrvied at the hall, the whole lot was unloaded in quick time:

post-3984-0-40929400-1410557965_thumb.jpg

And the five hour set-up begins:

post-3984-0-22408100-1410557963_thumb.jpg

Too kn.....ed to take a snap when we had finished, but everything seemed to be working OK.

(John had to fix one broken tie-bar!)

Steve.

Edited by SteveAtBax
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I'll be in Manchester on Saturday (tomorrow) and it'll be nice to finally be able to see the layout. Can't wait.

I'm taking my camera too so I might put some photos up on Sunday or next week.

I may also bring along the drawing of the hotel that I posted a few pages back, just incase Les wants to have a look. Be nice to meet Steve again too and see some more of his work.

Really looking forward to this, just not the 05:30 wake up call and 3 hour drive there, not to mention the drive home!

See you there,

Michael

Hi Michael,

Please make sure you make yourself known.

I have a terrible memory for names and faces (and many other things these days).

Steve.

p.s. same for all the other RMwebbers who follow us.

We'll be delighted to meet you.

• Like 1

Had a great time today, I must of spent most of my time hovering around the layout!

It was nice to meet Steve for a second time and thanks for giving me the "back-stage tour" and answering my questions. Was nice to meet Les too and discuss the hotel developments.

Many thanks to John for answering my many questions, a great character and someone I could have spent hours talking to!

Now that I've finally seen the layout in the flesh, I'm still trying to take everything in. The detail and skill involved is incredible. Seeing Lime Street today has been a privilege and has firmly cemented it as my favourite layout.

Steve, I still can't believe how many pages there are in the wiring manual, just for that one board!

Looking forward to seeing the hotel develop over the next year or so and eventually seeing the trackwork finished. Terrific stuff.

Michael

Had a great time today, I must of spent most of my time hovering around the layout!

It was nice to meet Steve for a second time and thanks for giving me the "back-stage tour" and answering my questions. Was nice to meet Les too and discuss the hotel developments.

Many thanks to John for answering my many questions, a great character and someone I could have spent hours talking to!

Now that I've finally seen the layout in the flesh, I'm still trying to take everything in. The detail and skill involved is incredible. Seeing Lime Street today has been a privilege and has firmly cemented it as my favourite layout.

Steve, I still can't believe how many pages there are in the wiring manual, just for that one board!

Looking forward to seeing the hotel develop over the next year or so and eventually seeing the trackwork finished. Terrific stuff.

Michael

Good to finally meet Micheal and share in his enthusiasm for our layout.