Kernow Adams O2

Not sure, as I ran it in on DC on the rolling road in (I think) November, fitted the chip and made sure it worked, then put it away for a while, bringing it out to weather it and add S&W coupling bars.

I tried it last night on a single new length of Peco track at the club, and it certainly ran better. I have cleaned my track again, and then went over some of it with a graphite pencil and it has made a difference - not perfect, but much better. I'll have to give the CV settings some thought - I'm fairly new to DCC.

Thanks

I'm a DCC newbie too, and have in the past got myself in a right mess with CV settings. Until I can find the time and the inclination to explore its possibilities thoroughly (and I have rapidly concluded it is a science all on its own), I have restored all my chipped locos to the chip manufacturer's default state. How this is achieved varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, but at least one then has a pretty workable baseline from which to be able to assess where the problem lies. Alternatively, switch to DC (if your controller will do it - mine will) and you will be able to see if the loco runs OK. (But no feedback, mind, as the O2 has a coreless motor). DCC is an additional complication when it comes to working out "what's wrong", and when I'm desperate I simply hoick out the old H&M Clipper and use that instead!

Chris

Not sure, as I ran it in on DC on the rolling road in (I think) November, fitted the chip and made sure it worked, then put it away for a while, bringing it out to weather it and add S&W coupling bars.

I tried it last night on a single new length of Peco track at the club, and it certainly ran better. I have cleaned my track again, and then went over some of it with a graphite pencil and it has made a difference - not perfect, but much better. I'll have to give the CV settings some thought - I'm fairly new to DCC.

Thanks

Hi Chris,

You say 'switch to dc', in your posting above.

Do you have a special controller or are you using '00' setting on your dcc?

I ask because the 00 setting could seriously damage your motor, coreless or otherwise as the power sent through the rail to your loco ( anyone your using at the time) is akin ( as described to me by a well know dcc supply company owner) to 2 steps forward and 1 back by the motor, this can be physically seen sometimes by the loco stuttering.

The motor damage and mechanism stress this can cause can be, apparently, major.

Just an advisory and feel free to ask your controller manufacturer or dcc expert stockist for clarification.

Cheers

Dave

Have just opened up my SR 207 and am suitably impressed with the weight of the model first off. The Beatties were very light but this very weighty!

Looks good, feels good. Will test it later but I can already see the BTBs need sorting as the driving wheel flanges sit on the rail top on one side.

A few very minor quibbles, such as heavy glue spots on the front lamp irons & pipework, and some white lining on the buffer beam, but nothing that bothers me all that much really.

I am sitting and hoping for an LSWR or Malachite variant in a future batch.

Top marks to Kernow and DJM here.

Like PM's above post my SR 207 arrived from Kernow this morning, and the finish and detail are little short of superb.

Apart from the clear instructions there is an additional 'exploded' diagram covering all the variations to date, so you can quickly see if anything's missing - there wasn't!

Mine was superfluous glue-free, and the paintwork was spot-on.

I agree that an LSWR version would be the icing on the cake for me too.

Other than a test run, I won't have the opportunity to  run it in for a couple of weeks, and following that a little light weathering should see it on the boards.

Hi Chris,

You say 'switch to dc', in your posting above.

Do you have a special controller or are you using '00' setting on your dcc?

I ask because the 00 setting could seriously damage your motor, coreless or otherwise as the power sent through the rail to your loco ( anyone your using at the time) is akin ( as described to me by a well know dcc supply company owner) to 2 steps forward and 1 back by the motor, this can be physically seen sometimes by the loco stuttering.

The motor damage and mechanism stress this can cause can be, apparently, major.

Just an advisory and feel free to ask your controller manufacturer or dcc expert stockist for clarification.

Cheers

Dave

I have a ZTC set up which has a DC setting which is pure unadulterated DC and quite unlike using "Loco 0", which is what I think you are referring to.  I guess the warning is timely though for anyone who is not a DCC expert, because I guess many systems do not have this facility. I do believe everyone should have a controller that outputs DC, however, because the DCC chips do get in the way of diagnosing problems I find ("one more thing that could have gone wrong").

• RMweb Premium

I received my replacement 'Southern 207' version today and am pleased to say it runs fine around my 2nd & 3rd radius curves (unlike the initial one).

However I have a question to put to other owners of this model concerning the livery. Close examination of the model has bought something to my eye with regard to the lining of one of the tanks and I am wondering whether it is a, how can I put it a manufacturing defect affecting a couple of models (as I have had with the green lining on a Hornbys 700 class loco cabside where the part had not been fitted square into the printing machine) or whether it is present across every model and is not a defect so to speak.

If you closely examine the tank of the side of the loco to which the air pump is fitted, the white lining towards the smokebox end of the tank doesn't seem to form a nice clean rectangle, if that makes sense. It seems like the gap between the white line and the top edge of tank gradually increase a bit as you move towards the front of the loco and this may be creating a bit of a parallelogram effect .

The issue does not seem to be present on the lining of the other tank and I should stress that overall the livery application is excellent and I still want a model of 207 so if they are all the same as my example it would be useful to know as its most certainly not a 'deal breaker'' as it were if it turns out to be present across all examples.

post-658-0-18941900-1452425417_thumb.jpg

post-658-0-58935400-1452425443_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil-b259

Got my "Ventnor" today. Now, I'm a 7mm scale devotee nowadays and I haven't bought a 4mm model for many years but I love the railways of the IOW so I just had to have one. First comment.....It's tiny:scared:

To me it's like a little Faberge egg with wheels and a chimney and looks so much better in the flesh than any of the pictures I've seen of them. It seemed so small and fragile looking I thought it was TTgauge at first! :jester: .

Anyway, hugely impressed with the looks/detail and general proportions so I'm off to see if I can find the old box of SMP scaleway track I know is somewhere in the workshop just to give it a try out. The level of detail and all the little extras with it are a revelation as the last time I bought a 00 loco was about 15 years ago and things have obviously moved on.

Just need some suitable coaches for it to pose with now. Nearest I can find is some old Ratio Midland Railway kits I can spray green.....

JF

• Like 6

I have this week received my three Southern 207 locos. All run well. One slightly better than the other two which are a bit noisier and have a very slight waddle as they run. Perhaps they will improve with running in.

Now I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in a previous posting but has anybody attempted to "open" the moulded closed cab doors by cutting them out ?

Well done Kernow and DJM for producing these locos. Perhaps we can look forward to more LSWR, Southern locos. How about an 02 in LSWR livery ?

Cheers,

Chris

"Now I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in a previous posting but has anybody attempted to "open" the moulded closed cab doors by cutting them out ?

Cheers,

Chris"

Yes, I posted a pic some pages back of a conversion to a HR tank with open doors. It is easily done with a sharp scalpel and a bit of care for the first pass.

Edited by Ben Alder

Does anyone think (and would like to see) Kernow could be convinced to scale up to a 7mm version?

I know the BWT in 7mm didn't go particularly well, although as I understand it, it was as much to do with Dapol as not enough preorders.

Then you understand wrongly. Lol

Former and nothing to do with the latter.

Cheers

Dave

Today I carried out a haulage trial with my IOW coaches. They are a mixture of modified Grafar suburbans and Ratio Midland coach kits, fitted with whitemetal bogies and therefore pretty heavy.  The O2s each handled 3 fine, 4 with some slipping (which looked quite realistic and added to the driving challenge), whilst 5 or 6 were out of the question...Thus justifying my quest for being able to adding weight to the boiler. I still haven't plucked up the courage to have another go at removing the body!

Chris

There was a note on Twitter directing to the Kernow Facebook page saying that all but about 200 preorders have now been dispatched. Apparently on the remainder, either card details and / or contact details are wrong. I guess if you're expecting an o2, not received it or been contacted, now might be the time to chase...

David

Edited by Clearwater

My Ventnor arrived today - hooray! - what a beauty!! Heavier than I expected which is good. Have only run her for a few minutes on a test track, and no obvious problems. A great model Dave and Kernow - hope she wins an award!

My green 207 arrived today, too, and I am absolutely delighted with it.  I agree with Mike that the O2 is a great model and very many thanks should go to Dave, Kernow and all involved in getting this little gem to the RTR market.

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My green 207 arrived today, too, and I am absolutely delighted with it.  I agree with Mike that the O2 is a great model and very many thanks should go to Dave, Kernow and all involved in getting this little gem to the RTR market.

Mike

And from me,great to hear this ! A Happy New Year.Enjoy your little miracle.

For information - in Kernow's newsletter 15/1

We completed processing all pre-orders for these models this week! We have around 200 orders outstanding where either cards are out of date or invalid, phone numbers are invalid etc etc. These orders will be cancelled on 31st January unless we hear otherwise, so if you have an O2 on order please contact us before this date, thanking you!

on the very few beatties that were returned to me from Kernow for rectification, I found that the majority needed some oil immediately on the gears and the con rod screws.

With this done and the loco on a rolling road at moderate speed each way for 10 minutes, they settled down and ran perfectly after then.

This might be worth a try with your stutterer?

Sincerely hope this helps?

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave

I oiled the coupling rods and bearings on Saturday night and the loco ran betterat the exhibition on the Sunday, but it was still not perfect. I will try oiling the gears when I get a chance and see what that does.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Dave

I oiled the coupling rods and bearings on Saturday night and the loco ran betterat the exhibition on the Sunday, but it was still not perfect. I will try oiling the gears when I get a chance and see what that does.

I guess everyone's experience is unique. My O2s just seem to run better every time I give them a go. Silky smooth, very quiet, and superb track-holding. Their "Model of the Year" accolade is definitely justified. I'm now waiting with baited breath for announcements of new IOW liveries (there are a number to choose from).......!

Chris

I guess everyone's experience is unique. My O2s just seem to run better every time I give them a go. Silky smooth, very quiet, and superb track-holding. Their "Model of the Year" accolade is definitely justified. I'm now waiting with baited breath for announcements of new IOW liveries (there are a number to choose from).......!

Chris

And mainland liveries without the extra plumbing for push pull service. An SR Bullied Black 1942-47 suitable for Bodmin Padstow service is what I really want. 

• Like 1

The O2 had some tough competition out there too, especially as there was a flood of southern locos to choose from!

Indeed well. The first of hopefully many trophies in DJMs cabinet (I know Kernow have already won before, but well done all the same too).

• 2 weeks later...