Kernow Adams O2

The third of my 02's turned up today , the southern 207 ,fitted the chip and nothing , swopped the chip's over between loco's ,chips ok loco not so, trip to the post office tomorrow bet I get behind the gut sending a million e-bay items. :drag:

Sent one of my O2's back earlier this month, not heard anything so gave them a ring today to make sure that they received it. Was told it would be a few weeks before they even look at it! :cry:

Edited by tender

..................Was told it would be a few weeks before they even look at it! :cry:

Sorry to hear this.  Not good enough, regardless of supplier, how many weeks is a "few weeks" Kernow are quoting?  When I had an issue with a bed @ 18mths ago, shop told me @ 6 weeks, contacted trading standards and they told me seller has fourteen working days to rectify from notification (by whatever means).  TS has to be local to supplier.

On a positive note my 2 IOW O2's arrived yesterday, but sent to me Mum's and she will give them to me at Xmas. Hey ho.

Edited by Guest

• RMweb Premium

Sent one of my O2's back earlier this month, not heard anything so gave them a ring today to make sure that they received it. Was told it would be a few weeks before they even look at it! :cry:

I returned my "207" varient earlier this week with a defect too. While it is understandably frustrating to have to do this, I do apreciate the Kernow staff are under pressure with trying to ensure all orders are satisfied before Christmas and warenty returns are having to wait. Dave of DJM is however a were that a small number of models have been returned and hopes to make it down to Cornwall soon, so resolution will hopefully not take too long.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I still don't get it, if pre-orders are processed manually, how come pre-orders from 2013/2014 are being processed before 2011 & 2012 pre-orders?  When I rang earlier this year to update DD card they located my order within seconds!  

When I ordered loads of stuff 2 years ago October 2013, it never arrived until end of Jan 2014!  Not an issue really, however things seem at odds at the moment.

Well good for you, none of my details have changed, my orders go back 4 yrs and not heard a word, as my earlier post, not really an issue, but not dispatching in strict order.

Oh, and my two IOW O2's never arrived today.

Not good enough, regardless of supplier, how many weeks is a "few weeks" Kernow are quoting?

You could always try to do better yourself.  Good luck.  Transit times are not within the retailer's control once a package has left the premises. The order processing system has been explained more than once.  And your O2s have now arrived at the address attached to the order.

• Like 3

...................under pressure with trying to ensure all orders are satisfied before Christmas and warenty returns are having to wai

However the fulfilling of back orders and Xmas are secondary to statute law,  whether a large or small company.  As I have said before was in no rush to get them after four year wait, however if either turn out to be faulty, I would be agged if I had to 'wait weeks' for a replacement. 

Or I am just a grumpy old man, who won't take being fobbed off anymore.

You could always try to do better yourself. ...............

Do what, do not understand.

Other points, was actually having a dig at Royal Mail, as 1st class can take up to 9 days from arriving at local sorting office (2mls away) to delivery, and the order system I know has been well explained, but still does not detract the fact that 2-4 yr pre-orders have not been processed in order, even where details have not changed. Bed.

Edited by Guest

Sorry to hear this.  Not good enough, regardless of supplier, how many weeks is a "few weeks" Kernow are quoting?  When I had an issue with a bed @ 18mths ago, shop told me @ 6 weeks, contacted trading standards and they told me seller has fourteen working days to rectify from notification (by whatever means).  TS has to be local to supplier.

Fourteen working day plus the Christmas/NewYear holidays adds up to a 'few weeks'.

• RMweb Premium

However the fulfilling of back orders and Xmas are secondary to statute law,  whether a large or small company.  As I have said before was in no rush to get them after four year wait, however if either turn out to be faulty, I would be agged if I had to 'wait weeks' for a replacement. 

Or I am just a grumpy old man, who won't take being fobbed off anymore.

It's not a question of being 'fobbed off' as you put it, it's called a question of perspective - in this case the size and nature of the retailer plus the nature of the O2 as a commissioned item. I will explain.....

If your return something by Royal Mail to a Large retailer like, say Debenhams, they have loads of staff and a sophisticated IT system to process it. In the model railway sphere the likes of Hattons and Rails are relatively similar - they are not called 'box shifters' for nothing.

Kernow by contrast, while obviously doing internet sales probably does not deal with nearly as many online sales as the 'box shifters' and as such the process for dealing returns is not as well organised as a consequence. You also need to factor in that the sudden arrival of a large quantity of O2 locomotives (many more than in an ordinary Hornby of Bachmann delivery) puts additional strain on the staff at Kernow (who unlike Tesco / Asda / etc. hire in extra seasonal staff when extra deliveries are made to stores around Christmas), cannot suddenly recruit extra staff to help them deal with the extra workload.

As such patience is required, but I accept that is not infinite. Based on various other return / cancellation policies out there for various goods / services I would suggest that a resolution within 28 working days is the maximum time limit any business should apply although in an ideal world something closer to 14 working days is far better.

• RMweb Gold

Do what, do not understand.

Just a few friendly words of advice.

You are relatively new to RMweb and to date your posts have come across as unnecessarily negative, even combative in some cases. This forum is a fantastic resource and you'll get a lot more out of it if you can make some positive contributions yourself. I can understand your frustration in the case of the O2s, but I feel - as Phil says above - that some prespective is needed.

I have to say that my experiences of Kernow Model Rail Centre have been 100% positive and I don't believe this is down to pure luck.

• RMweb Gold

And there is a simple solution which could relieve symptoms of frustration/Meldrew syndrome.West Cornwall has a mild and balmy climate at this time of the year.Give yourself a break from winter blues and take an early January holiday there .Then you could make a personal visit to Kernow to perhaps collect your model? At least one member of this forum has made the trip and found it worthwhile.

BTW I think Gwiwer means ...build one yourself....maybe?

• Like 2

And there is a simple solution which could relieve symptoms of frustration/Meldrew syndrome.West Cornwall has a mild and balmy climate at this time of the year.Give yourself a break from winter blues and take an early January holiday there .Then you could make a personal visit to Kernow to perhaps collect your model? At least one member of this forum has made the trip and found it worthwhile.

I built a wills kit one in 1984 33 Bembridge, was ok till son dropped it and bent it.  I would love to have a break, not had one in 4 yrs have 88 and 87 yr oldies to looks after, no bros or sis.

Just a few friendly words of advice.

You are relatively new to RMweb and to date your posts have come across as unnecessarily negative, even combative in some cases. This forum is a fantastic resource and you'll get a lot more out of it if you can make some positive contributions yourself. I can understand your frustration in the case of the O2s, but I feel - as Phil says above - that some prespective is needed.

I have to say that my experiences of Kernow Model Rail Centre have been 100% positive and I don't believe this is down to pure

It is a fantastic forum, in the six yrs in Jan I have been registered, I don't post that much.  I do not mean to be combative or negative, probly just er depressed. 

post-8516-0-41107100-1450536614.jpg

Edited by Guest

I see that almost five years have elapsed since I thought it high time that the Kernow/O2 project deserved a thread of its own. I reckoned that there were two very good reasons. Firstly, the ex-LSWR subjects in general being produced by Kernow were being given unprecedented attention in design and specification. (Who would have expected a BWT model, let alone one of quality?). Secondly, the O2 has particular merits as a subject for modelling. I like to think it may even have been my idea to incorporate the welded repair plate to certain side tanks).

But whatever, IMHO Kernow have done full justice to their subject, and the sales seem to reflect much deserved success. I have received the first of my two advance orders, and I do not really mind   :no:  having to wait for the second. Or news of further increases to the range with Island locos in SR livery.

PB

(PS. My Avatar is of me, circa 1957, atop an Island registered 2-2-0, on a hill top site, overlooking Whippingham station. Happy days, salad days.)

Edited by Peter Bedding
  • Like 7

Dave

sorry only just seen this post , for my sins I didn't run it without the chip first , only have dcc , is that wrong ?, by the way this is a seriously beautiful model and I am going to get Ventnor when they visit St Albans in January. Well done Dave.

can't wait for the break van

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That or set up your own business, commission models and get them sent out to the modelling public.  Constructive comment is always welcomed here.  But if you truly think you could do a better job then have a go.

Kernow MRC remains a small business that happens to commission models and has achieved a high profile in the industry by sheer hard work and through excellence in customer service.  No-one gets everything right all the time.  I have a friend who runs a one-man business commissioning and selling model Brisbane buses.  He has learned - to his cost - just how much hard work is involved in the whole operation and specifically getting them from large brown boxes in his lounge room to customer's doorsteps around the world in small packages.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Dave

sorry only just seen this post , for my sins I didn't run it without the chip first , only have dcc , is that wrong ?, by the way this is a seriously beautiful model and I am going to get Ventnor when they visit St Albans in January. Well done Dave.

can't wait for the break van

You are not the only one with a DCC-only layout. I try to get a new loco to run forwards and backwards on address 00, just to ensure it is basically sound. No more than a minute or two should show any hesitations or lameness. Then chip it and you know that any new problems are down to the decoder's presence, which may require some CV-tweaking.

• RMweb Gold

You are not the only one with a DCC-only layout. I try to get a new loco to run forwards and backwards on address 00, just to ensure it is basically sound. No more than a minute or two should show any hesitations or lameness. Then chip it and you know that any new problems are down to the decoder's presence, which may require some CV-tweaking.

Some locos dont like DCC at all without a decoder.

I tried running my new Dapol 73 on DCC without a decoder and it wont move. Luckily I do have a DC controller so that will be a task for this morning but often I just plug the decoder in to start with.

Edited by roundhouse

Luddites unite!  Long live analogue!  We stick-in-the-muds don't have these problems.  :jester:

Back to topic: when my olive green (what else?) O2 arrives, I'm sure it will run wonderfully on DC.

Edited by olivegreen

• RMweb Gold

Luddite number 3 here.I am sure I'm speaking to the converted but make sure you give your O2's a long running in period in each direction before putting them under load.They will then reward you fully 'match fit' and rearing to go.Two Hornby Maunsells and a four wheel SR van is plenty.

Enjoy !

Edit: Do not use either electronic track cleaners..e.g. Relco....or a feedback DC controller.

This is because the O2 is fitted with a coreless motor.As Corporal Jones,late of 'Dad's Army' used famously to say...'They don't like it up 'em' .

Edited by Ian Hargrave

That or set up your own business, commission models and get them sent out to the modelling public. Constructive comment is always welcomed here. But if you truly think you could do a better job then have a go.

Why ? That doesn't apply to any other retail transaction, which is what this is.

When my broadband goes down should I go buy myself a few miles of fibre optic, a big server and some tech guys, or should I maybe complain to the provider that they aren't giving me what I've paid for ? 

Luddite number 3 here.I am sure I'm speaking to the converted but make sure you give your O2's a long running in period in each direction before putting them under load.They will then reward you fully 'match fit' and rearing to go.Two Hornby Maunsells and a four wheel SR van is plenty.

Enjoy !

Edit: Do not use either electronic track cleaners..e.g. Relco....or a feedback DC controller.

This is because the O2 is fitted with a coreless motor.As Corporal Jones,late of 'Dad's Army' used famously to say...'They don't like it up 'em' .

Thanks for the advice. Will be giving both models a good run in once I can gain access to a continuous run track. A visit to my father in law's layout may well be required! I have taken Ventnor out of the box and run it, briefly, on my little end to end layout. What a stunning model it is. The model has made two return trips over the line purely for photographic purposes. I will post these as soon as I get on the laptop!

• Like 1