Kernow Adams O2

I have a cunning plan :paint: ... It was got with the hope that it could be squashed into a HR 25 but even with my flexible approach  to dimensions it proved impossible. However, a perusal of Drummond's  HR output found a projected 0-4-4T with 5' drivers that is almost a direct line up with the 02's outline, so it is just a question of watch this space, or more accurately, watch my workbench space. Well ahead with it and awaiting one or two castings so should be making its appearance soonish.

• Like 4

Do I take it that this is a split axle chassis with spur gear drive to both coupled axles? EM gauge might be an issue and that motor looks tiny.

Is that an HR 0-4-4 T in Bon Accord's post, Dornoch branch?

• RMweb Gold

Would someone be kind enough to pop off the smoke box door and measure how deep the space is into the boiler please. I'm not worried about diameter just how far back it goes ;) I just need to know if it's long enough to take my favoured sound decoder.

Do I take it that this is a split axle chassis with spur gear drive to both coupled axles? EM gauge might be an issue and that motor looks tiny.

Is that an HR 0-4-4 T in Bon Accord's post, Dornoch branch?

Yes and yes. The motor is very small but seems to be capable of pulling a load. Don't know how easy any conversion might be though.  The HR engine is a Jidenco one of the Dornoch tank I picked up on eBay some time ago. It had been built to EM and ran rather badly although the body is well made. I couldn't get the chassis apart due to the shipbuilding techniques the builder had employed and he had filled the body with lead, gluing it in , which meant any attempt to clear space for a modern drive unit would have distorted the brass body, so for the moment it sits on a cosmetic chassis until I get round to tackling it. With this it can at least pose on the layout rather than linger in a cupboard unseen.

Would someone be kind enough to pop off the smoke box door and measure how deep the space is into the boiler please. I'm not worried about diameter just how far back it goes ;) I just need to know if it's long enough to take my favoured sound decoder.

29mm from front face of smokebox to touching back of the opening.

HTH

The concept of driving both coupled axles through an idler shaft and spur gears is interesting,     I was plotting something similar to drive the rear axle on a 14XX but didn't think of driving the idler gear, its obvious when you think if it.  Presumably the gears are plastic? Does the idler have separate worm wheel and  idler teeth,  or does worm and both axles run on the same gear, it is not clear from the exploded diagram   I did wonder why the coupling rod "screws" were black, are they just plastic pins?  Presumably they don't have to transmit any power.  Are the coupling rods metal?

The concept of driving both coupled axles through an idler shaft and spur gears is interesting,     I was plotting something similar to drive the rear axle on a 14XX but didn't think of driving the idler gear, its obvious when you think if it.  Presumably the gears are plastic? Does the idler have separate worm wheel and  idler teeth,  or does worm and both axles run on the same gear, it is not clear from the exploded diagram   I did wonder why the coupling rod "screws" were black, are they just plastic pins?  Presumably they don't have to transmit any power.  Are the coupling rods metal?

Aha! Very good questions, I have been loath to put my head above the parapet and face a storm of protest. Unfortunately, my O2 is the Southern green version and it will be some time before I get my hands on it. At the outset, I think I have to make clear that the O2 looks like a lovely model and very well detailed. The pipework associated with the pump is astonishing and the arrangements for sound in such a small machine are ground-breaking.

On the other hand, the black pins are very obtrusive in 00 and the coupling rods look plastic. As regards the coupling rods, they are probably as realistic or otherwise as bright metal ones - they are just not what we are used to. I have seen some pictures and videos of both pre-production and production models. Am I the only one to notice that the coupling rods don't stay parallel to the ground but tend to flail around a bit?

Must admit that I was surprised by the amount of 'backlash' through the gear train - not a criticism you understand though.

Lovely model, just a shame that some of the pipework round the air pump fell off in transit - still looking for my tweezers in order to refit bits. Also did note that one of the fine wire handles on the tank fillers had been badly bent - the down side of trying to incorporate such detail in to a model.

I myself was looking at getting an early /BR without the pump and having seen more photo of this loco and one thing kept bothering me about it, and that was the rods.

One they looked over scale and the crank pins are to and the color of the finish on the rods did not look like metal (and the coupling rods look plastic) as someone else has now commented about them.

Can anyone say what they are made from?, also a bit concerned about them flapping a bit when running which has also been brought up.

Don't get me wrong it is a fantastic model,but in my eye the rods and cranks let it down.

Darren  

Edited by darren01

• RMweb Gold

Currently passing through the Straits of Gibraltar at 17 knots - it'll soon be O2s on the Atlantic ;)

This is getting deliciously hilarious.We should ,however,log on to RMWave to better encourage all those muscular tiny O2's to make landfall safely in Southampton Water....as salmon spawning defy the odds of mighty oceans and rivers.....GO2 it !

• Like 2

H2O2 is hydrogen peroxide - highly corrosive, not sure what it'd do to DJM's finest to date!

Erm it was a play on words H2O meaning water and the extra two added for the loco. I am sure you did get that and I hope no hydrogen peroxide comes in contact with my 02's.

Yes - I got your word play hence my comment. (I favourited your comment). Chemically speaking, the addition of an extra 2 after the oxygen (technically as subscript) makes inert water into one of the more corrosive and volatile compounds out there. Hydrogen peroxide is an aggressive oxidant and is, amongst other things, used in rocket fuel. There are other examples where a change of number makes a significant difference, eg O2 vs O3.

As an aside, if you want a fun chemical experiment take a glass beaker of ordinary granulated sugar and add a couple of drops of concentrated sulphuric acid. The acid strips water out of the sugar leaving a tower of carbon.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I always remember a mishap in a Science lesson when at secondary school. I inadvertently misunderstood the teacher's instructions and mixed water and sulphuric acid together in a plastic take away cup. It was messy!

We've all done something like that Andy!

Our particular 'fun' was putting washing up liquid over the gas taps, allow the 'bubble' to fill with gas, let it rise to the celling and then using a tapper attached to a 1m rule to ignite said bubble! We didn't have get a roasting for that!

Kind regards,

Nick

• Like 3

Yes - I got your word play hence my comment. (I favourited your comment). Chemically speaking, the addition of an extra 2 after the oxygen (technically as subscript) makes inert water into one of the more corrosive and volatile compounds out there. Hydrogen peroxide is an aggressive oxidant and is, amongst other things, used in rocket fuel. There are other examples where a change of number makes a significant difference, eg O2 vs O3.

As an aside, if you want a fun chemical experiment take a glass beaker of ordinary granulated sugar and add a couple of drops of concentrated sulphuric acid. The acid strips water out of the sugar leaving a tower of carbon.

Cripes! I thought hydrogen peroxide was used to lighten hair colour

Mal

Edited to apologise for going substantially off-topic.

My grandparents took me to the Isle of Wight a number of times when I was wee and I recall the O2s working the trains; liking trains even then they took me all over the then-network, Shanklin/Ventnor/Ryde/Ryde Pier - don't recall doing Newport but at the age of 4 or 5 I'm not surprised.

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 1