Kernow Adams O2

This wave of O2 arrivals by sea seems like a seaborne invasion, with apologies to Winston Churchill '--- we will not fight them on the beaches (unless Hornby get those Airfix model 'E' boats built and sail them out from Kent) ---' and hopefully for Kernow, 'In the field of model loco buying, never has so much been owed by so many to so few ---'

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The O2 is another example of a phenomenon I have become aware of in recent years. The model is somehow more attractive than its prototype. I believe I only saw one - 30193 - and would not put it high up my list of favourites, yet the models are gorgeous! Since they did work in my chosen model area, albeit not in my era, I see one being bought. I shall be in Devon in late October, early November, so a trip to Camborne is possible, even if in theory I'm on honeymoon.......

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

The OOCL Berlin is currently heading up the Red Sea (last reported position was at 06.18 UTC - coverage is very patchy in that area) so not too far from Suez.  Ship appears to be running OOCL Loop 6 so next booked calling point is Southampton.

Meanwhile the BR lined example of the O2 duly noted at Aldershot (Farnham show) yesterday looks delectable, but I resisted as I'm saving up for some later items.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The O2 is another example of a phenomenon I have become aware of in recent years. The model is somehow more attractive than its prototype. I believe I only saw one - 30193 - and would not put it high up my list of favourites, yet the models are gorgeous! Since they did work in my chosen model area, albeit not in my era, I see one being bought. I shall be in Devon in late October, early November, so a trip to Camborne is possible, even if in theory I'm on honeymoon.......

That's an astute observation.It may be an age-related thing but I find myself drawn to models by a sort of " That's cute....I'd like one " inner response.The O2 has that quality ( though I did see a few  during the 50's ). By the way,if indulging in an excursion to the far west, an incentive to your new bride could be that after Camborne,go a wee bit further and if travelling by car,park at St.Erth, take the train to St.Ives and dine at The Porthminster Beach Cafe. Pacific Rim cuisine at its best.Ah,the old romantic in me....Enjoy.

I was in Devon earlier in the summer. There are some great model shops in Devon, Paignton Model Shop, the South Devon Railway shop, even the Bodmin and Wenford shop has a good range.  However a certain shop in Barnstaple was been shut despite the opening times showing it should be open! and the Okehampton station shop has seemingly stopped trading.  I don't want to be entirely negative so I will say in their favour that Kernow models has free street parking outside. 

Nor -- it's just another of those things you never knew you always wanted........

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
The OOCL Berlin is currently heading up the Red Sea (last reported position was at 06.18 UTC - coverage is very patchy in that area) so not too far from Suez.  Ship appears to be running OOCL Loop 6 so next booked calling point is Southampton.

The Stationmaster is an expert on ships and shipping lanes, as well as on all things railways - I'm lost for words!

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Stationmaster is an expert on ships and shipping lanes, as well as on all things railways - I'm lost for words!

John

Not an expert on ships but I know what amounts to some of the useful bits - where to look for the information and what it means when I see it.  (Ship is currently anchored off Suez and is waiting to call there but all the berths seem to be occupied - oops, there I go again).

• Like 2

I ordered an O2 30182 yesterday, and it arrived promptly and very well packed this morning. The inner loco box packing is very good too, everything well protected and laid out. As for the loco, what a beauty, with an elegant and delicate fineness. The best bit was yet to come, placing it on the tracks for a quick test, i was totally unprepared for the near silent running. Thank you Kernow, and thank you DJM, the whole thing is a delight, now i'll have to finish the roofs on my old Jidenco LSWR Gate Stock, that have lain abandoned for so long. I will definitely be buying the late emblem mainland version when it appears. BTW, i also bought a Kernow GWR Truro Signal Box, again it's absolutely gorgeous, i am a very happy bunny.

Cheers, Brian.

• Like 4

Any chance of you uploading a shot of this signalbox Brian....Or post it on my Ellesmere thread?

Sure Larry, will do as soon as poss tonight.

BTW everyone, i forgot to mention my original concern about the apparent brightness of the O2's mixed traffic lining in Kernow's own pics, now all worries are dispelled, in the flesh it looks perfectly normal. I have long suspected that some cameras tend to pick up brighter colours more and make them look stronger, if so maybe it just depends on camera settings? I have noticed this when using my own camera, so lighter colours appear too prominent in some photos?   BK

Interesting! Ordered 30182 plus two more variants in 2010 and no sign of it yet! Hmmm! Patience is a virtue.  

My order for 30182 was from September 2010 and it arrived last Friday. As it is 5 years since your order you may want to check if your credit card used for the original order has been replaced, as even if you haven't changed credit card account, the card and its valid from/to dates will probably have been replaced, if so you need to update the details with Kernow, as they will leave expired card orders to last and then try and contact those customers.

Edited by rembrow

My order for 30182 was from September 2010 and it arrived last Friday. As it is 5 years since your order you may want to check if your credit card used for the original order has been replaced, as even if you haven't changed credit card account, the card and its valid from/to dates will probably have been replaced, if so you need to update the details with Kernow, as they will leave expired card orders to last and then try and contact those customers.

Thanks for the post. As I have purchased items from them in the past couple of weeks, pre-committed to the '71' etc., they have my up to date card details on file and my email address.

I have not contacted Kernow as I observed the 'no hassle' request. So, just a bit surprised to read that new orders are being met promptly (good, well done!) while I wait patiently on.   

For those with an Isle of Wight O2 interest, I found the following essay on a net trawl. Penned in 1993 the author describes similar experiences to my own in the 1960's, travelling to the Island by train from Waterloo, followed by a 'bob-about-on-the-briney' and a tram ride down Ryde Pier to the Esplanade. There I was able to watch a procession of O2's descend to St Johns Tunnel to Ventnor and Cowes, never to be forgotten.   

http://www.jaggers-heritage.com/resources/Isle%20of%20Wight%20holidays.pdf

Edited by Vardnoodleblast
  • Like 2

Here you go, there's an O2 sneaking in stage right, so these pics are allowed on this thread, closer O2 pics lower down. If you look carefully at the back of the signal box, one of the hipped pipe tops has fallen off, but the part is to hand. Also on the front, one of the window rail joints has come apart, but no big deal either, a tiny drop of supergunge will secure it, although i'd better protect the glazing from fogging.    BK

post-298-0-17205100-1444767564_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-41974300-1444767588_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-45641000-1444767616_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-99804400-1444767650_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-04111800-1444767678_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-34419200-1444767703.jpg

post-298-0-86142400-1444767739_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-25014000-1444767767_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-48096200-1444767794_thumb.jpg

• Like 9