Kernow Adams O2

Sure Larry, will do as soon as poss tonight. Thanks

BTW everyone, i forgot to mention my original concern about the apparent brightness of the O2's mixed traffic lining in Kernow's own pics, now all worries are dispelled, in the flesh it looks perfectly normal. I have long suspected that some cameras tend to pick up brighter colours more and make them look stronger, if so maybe it just depends on camera settings? I have noticed this when using my own camera, so lighter colours appear too prominent in some photos?   BK

Black particularly gloss black has been a perennial problem in photography because if correctly exposed black would be just that with no detail. So we over-expose black to expose shadow detail but by doing this we also lighten all the other colours. This not only leads to an over exposed background but it also lightens any lining colours. BR grey lining colour is about mid grey and so it comes out light grey and even white in some instances. One other point, camera exposure meters aim for a mid tone, so if one fills the frame with black it will come out mid grey. Fill it with white and the same will happen, which is why some compensation is required at weddings!   :sarcastic:

Thanks Larry,

I think both the signal box (£60) and the O2 loco (£125) are worth the money, both look very good and few people could produce to this standard, let alone have the spare time available to make either. It will be interesting to find where else on the GWR this particular size box was used. Ratio have made a slightly smaller version in the last couple of years, the Bachmann Blue Anchor box is yet smaller again, but both are to the same style as this one from Kernow.

Regarding the O2 and it's chassis, i'm a tiny bit concerned whether the bogie has enough vertical end movement, everything's a bit rigid apart from swivelling. I said on Tony Wright's RMweb thread about how difficult 0-4-4Ts and their rear bogies can be. I suspect this rigidity is to try and help overcome any lifting of driving wheels, but how well will it perform on uneven track? I suppose this is a fairly good compromise, at least the loco should keep going on rough track, but will it de-rail, time will tell? The good news is the bogie has a very neat pick-up through the frames, with no pick-up strips that can cause dragging.

Cheers, Brian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting! Ordered 30182 plus two more variants in 2010 and no sign of it yet! Hmmm! Patience is a virtue.  

My order for 30182 was from September 2010 and it arrived last Friday. As it is 5 years since your order you may want to check if your credit card used for the original order has been replaced, as even if you haven't changed credit card account, the card and its valid from/to dates will probably have been replaced, if so you need to update the details with Kernow, as they will leave expired card orders to last and then try and contact those customers.

My order for 30182 is dated 11/09/2010.  It has not yet been charged to my card.  The card used to order the loco has expired but I do have a current card on file with KMRC having placed regular orders since.

What I understand happens is that each order in its turn is checked and if the card used for that order has expired then they move onto the next one.  When the first batch of orders, for which the same card is still valid, have gone then they will start the second sweep and either check their own systems for a current card or contact the customer concerned.  

This would be done to save time and to get the most number of items out as quickly as possible.  I can understand that it's frustrating for those of us who have a current card on their records but when that isn't the card used to order the O2 (or what ever else) then it takes more time, however little, to stop and delve into the records when the priority is to get orders out ASAP.  Working to one system all the time means every member of the team knows exactly what is happening and there would be no time wasted chasing up with questions such as "How did you do this .....?" or replies to customers along the lines of "So-and-so's doing that and he's only in on Tuesdays and Fridays."

Similarly if new orders arrive with current card details I would expect they might be processed straight away rather than held back until after the second tranche of pre-orders was dealt with.  KMRC are after all renowned for their fast turnaround times among other things.

• RMweb Premium

I was going to buy the Kernow Truro box until I discovered a way of fitting a new set of steps to the Blue Anchor box. As produced it should go on the LH platform ramp. I wonder how many levers Truro would have against the number of levers in Blue Anchor?

The Signalling Record Society notes that Blue Anchor frame contains 17 levers and Truro East (the surviving box now known simply as Truro) has at least 51.  The record does not note whether any spare levers exist above No.51.  Off topic entirely this means I have to replace "Blue Anchor" with "Truro" at my Treheligan station as that requires 60 levers.  Stand by Camborne to receive order ;)

http://www.s-r-s.org.uk

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 1

Dear all

Gwiver is absolutely right in what he says about the process of charging on pre-orders. One further point is that the staff cannot see the card details for orders that have been recently placed (since changes in the last year or so to the card issuers conditions). This means that they cannot readily use card details for recent orders to process older pre-orders.

It must seem unfair that those who order now get their model more quickly than those who have pre-ordered but it is the most efficient way of doing things. Remember that those who pre-ordered had the security of guaranteeing getting the model and the benefit of a lower price.

I know that the team will be working really hard and will value your patience if you haven't received your model. They will be doing a 'second sweep for those whose card details have changed as soon as possible. 'Good things come to those who wait'!

Hope that this helps,

Andrew (ex Kernow employee)

Dear all

Gwiver is absolutely right in what he says about the process of charging on pre-orders. One further point is that the staff cannot see the card details for orders that have been recently placed (since changes in the last year or so to the card issuers conditions). This means that they cannot readily use card details for recent orders to process older pre-orders.

It must seem unfair that those who order now get their model more quickly than those who have pre-ordered but it is the most efficient way of doing things. Remember that those who pre-ordered had the security of guaranteeing getting the model and the benefit of a lower price.

Thank-you for the insight on that matter. I am not interested in turning this thread into a 'whinge-athon' on pre-ordering. Personally I appreciate Kernow's entrepreneurial approach to providing LSWR  / SR prototypes, be they loco, wagon, or signal box. Indeed, I do feel an obligation to demonstrate support for the initiative shown by acquiring one or multiple copies of the items produced for my stockpile even though incorporation in a layout may be some time away.

I am and will continue to be patient, lack of arrival of an O2 is not going to stop the world rotating on its axis. However, I was just simply somewhat taken aback to read that new orders are being fulfilled in 24 hours (again, well done), and concerned that my order had fallen into a black hole. Given the gestation period of this project, and this would be a suggestion and not a complaint, it may have been an idea to send out a direct but bulk email when the first production models were received for distribution to all the pre-order customers simply to acknowledge the order was still in place and the process being conducted to effect delivery. That would be a nice, more personal touch that reinforces a sense of appreciation for support for the project and the patience exhibited. 

Yes, it does seem counter-intuitive that strict date order is not the criterion for despatch but the main point for me is the uncertainty that the order is still alive even though it's listed (recalling the issue with 2-BIL pre-orders with Hattons). That of course became a non-issue but the Kernow productions seem to be much more 'bespoke' and the risk on missing out maybe higher it seems.

Patience is a virtue of mine but I don't subscribe to the view that "the meek shall inherit the Earth - if that's OK with everybody else" but to reiterate this is an observation, not a complaint! 

Edited by Vardnoodleblast
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I checked on mine by email as it was a phone order, so I had no email confirmation, before I had an account.

I got this prompt and pleasant reply :)

"We have several hundred to still process and hope to get yours done within a week or two.

You are also correct that some people who have ordered one this week will have already received theirs. This is because if they order now, the payment is taken instantly and we only have to print a label and send the loco. All the older orders need to be manually processed and with 800+ to do, this all takes time. Of course, these customers are paying the full price for theirs so there are still advantages in pre-ordering even if it means you have to wait a little longer.

All the best,

Greg"

So plenty still to do and it could be a couple of weeks and a logical explanation of the reason for new orders first.

• Like 2

I preordered one when they were announced and, like everyone else, waited. During this  time  my card had been updated so at the beginning of the year I phoned them with the current details, and said O2 arrived last week.Its now a bit late to say this in this case but it might be an idea to check and refresh payment methods shortly before a new model is released.

• RMweb Gold

I was going to buy the Kernow Truro box until I discovered a way of fitting a new set of steps to the Blue Anchor box. As produced it should go on the LH platform ramp. I wonder how many levers Truro would have against the number of levers in Blue Anchor?

Seeing Gwiwer has already show the number of levers (Truro is actually a 51 lever frame) you will have realised that although looking rather good it is far too big for your needs.  Blue Anchor is exactly the right size for Ellesmere North as that building would have been used for frames between approx. 16 and 23 levers.

• RMweb Premium

Seeing Gwiwer has already show the number of levers (Truro is actually a 51 lever frame) you will have realised that although looking rather good it is far too big for your needs.  Blue Anchor is exactly the right size for Ellesmere North as that building would have been used for frames between approx. 16 and 23 levers.

And whilst it is the ideal size for my needs it is the wrong way round; I need the ladder and entry to be at the other end.  If I figure out a way of doing that I'll place the order.

Meanwhile I continue to patiently await my turn in the O2 queue ;)

Varnoodleblast

It would be great if Kernow could contact pre-order customers just before delivery.

The key problem is that the Cybertill system combined with the Sage card processing system do not have the facility to do this. In fact the only way to do it is to manually look at each order, determine whether card details are valid and then manually send out emails.

From bitter personal experience of the software systems, both of which are used by a large number of retailers, the relevant reporting and bulk emailing is not possible. We used to regularly bombard the software suppliers for changes but it was like pushing water up a hill.

In fact, the software suppliers could not understand the concept of pre-orders as most retailers do not offer this. Relatively speaking, Kernow are a small customer for the software suppliers and have very little clout.

I hope that this answers your questions. Believe me the Kernow staff are as frustrated about this and other software failings as you are! I can picture now Chris red-faced with rage as he was fobbed off time and again!

Andrew

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

They were having a few problems getting my order sorted over the phone this morning (due to the computer system being a pain) but got there in the end.

As I said at the time - I've waited years for my O2 so a few minutes more won't kill me.

Thanks Kernow - top stuff!

Varnoodleblast

It would be great if Kernow could contact pre-order customers just before delivery.

The key problem is that the Cybertill system combined with the Sage card processing system do not have the facility to do this. In fact the only way to do it is to manually look at each order, determine whether card details are valid and then manually send out emails.

From bitter personal experience of the software systems, both of which are used by a large number of retailers, the relevant reporting and bulk emailing is not possible. We used to regularly bombard the software suppliers for changes but it was like pushing water up a hill.

In fact, the software suppliers could not understand the concept of pre-orders as most retailers do not offer this. Relatively speaking, Kernow are a small customer for the software suppliers and have very little clout.

I hope that this answers your questions. Believe me the Kernow staff are as frustrated about this and other software failings as you are! I can picture now Chris red-faced with rage as he was fobbed off time and again!

Andrew

Thanks for the in-depth explanation. I feel their pain but rest assured I remain patient, non-frustrated and a loyal supporter of Kernow! 

I have enough frustration with Apple computer products, I can't spare any for anyone else! the next time I pass through California I intend to detour to Cupertino with a large garden gnome with the intent of inserting it in their CEO. 

Fortunately I found just such an item protruding from a gentleman who apparently has or had  a railway modelling white metal kit making (or accumulating) business and interpersonal skills modelled on those of a scud missile. On the label it said 'A Gift from Cornwall'...................

• Like 1

I've just received 30182 and to me as a model it has reached new heights. It is, in my opinion, simply stunning, if this doesn't get model of the year then there ain't no justice...

Prepare to feel robbed of justice! It's a hot field this year already, and there's some more contenders expected. The Southern vote will be spread over the E4, 700, S15 in addition to the O2, there's the Crusty thing for the BR(M) types, and while the J15 and D16/3 have their admirers, the Eastern ace in the hole is the exceedingly lovely C1. First ever RTR atlantic in OO (let's face it, Southern 0-4-4T models are two a penny in model form) so there'll be no justice if the C1 doesn't race to the fore.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

30182 arrived this morning. A fine looking model.

30225 now on order.

Nice. 30182 is the first of the pair I have on pre-order so mine should be along shortly (I got my card details updated a couple of weeks ago in anticipation).

Did you get an email receipt/confirmation that it was on its way or did it just turn up? I can't remember what happened with the BWT.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Nice. 30182 is the first of the pair I have on pre-order so mine should be along shortly (I got my card details updated a couple of weeks ago in anticipation).

Did you get an email receipt/confirmation that it was on its way or did it just turn up? I can't remember what happened with the BWT.

John

John,

You should get the normal automated email confirmation advising that the item has been packed and will be on its way.

In my case I didn't get the automated email confirmation but instead got a direct email from Chris advising that my package was on its way and explaining that I did not get the automated email confirmation as he pressed the wrong button at the end of the packing process.

Keith

Following my earlier possible concerns over the restricted bogie movement, i'm pleased to report that i've given my 30182 a thorough test on uneven track and curves, it passes with flying colours. First of all, i ran the loco on plain straight track with a metal rule placed underneath to mimic a slight bump in the track,  - no problem. Then i tried placing some packing under only one side to imitate uneven/twisted or canted track, again all was a.o.k., including everything in reverse. I next tested on curvature, i don't possess any rigid setrack, so i used flexi guided by tracksettas, 3ft was okay, 2ft 6in was okay, 2ft again was okay. I got the curve down to at least 18in, which is just less than setrack 3rd radius, in fact i may have had it down to about 15in, but i couldn't measure it that accurately by holding the flexible track. I haven't tried it yet on any pointwork.

The whole thing seems to cleverly engineered, the offset bogie pivot (towards the drivers) gives a slight radial action, which along with bogie wheel sideplay helps on curves, plus the weight pushing down keeps the bogie on the track. There's no sideways movement on the bogie pivot, this should stop the loco from waddling at the back end. Being a mildly courageous/reckless type, i did start to undue a few screws to see inside (don't tell Kernow), but the body was resisting my leverage, so i decided not to push my luck (instead you'll have to put up with the exploded diagram below), a DCC chip goes in through the smokebox door, a sound speaker goes in the bunker (pic below with wires ready and two corner body screws). Of all the wheel arrangements, 0-4-4Ts are the possibly the trickiest to get running well with that long rear overhang, the experience of building 0-4-4T kits has taught me that the best answer is chassis compensation, but that's probably too involved for RTR, so compromises have to be made, but i think this model has dealt with it quite well.

Cheers, Brian.

post-298-0-95234400-1444840497_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-95982000-1444840520_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-51974900-1444840595_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Some retailers have a section of their websites to change debit/credit card details; it's probably wise of Kernow not to have this facility in case the site is hacked.

I have this on order too and am patiently waiting. Looks good but needs dirt imo. Thanks for posting the pics.

Mal