Bath Road

vac_basher

Correct. 47805 (47490) was the first carrier of the Bristol Bath Road nameplates. It lost them and then 47816 gained Bristol Bath Road Quality Approved nameplates. The last day saw 805 just happen to roll in for exam. There were some photos of 805 and 816 posed together. Also on shed on the last day was D172 which worked a railtour to Newcastle the following day, oh and numerous 47/7s.

Me personally i loved bath road, i spent many hours at the end of P10/12 watching the movements. 37219 and 50015 are musts. They were allways hanging around. 47673 Galloway Princess was also quite common by 1992/1993. I've just been looking back through my old photos of the place. Makes me sad to see temple meads as a station now!

Paul

Correct. 47805 (47490) was the first carrier of the Bristol Bath Road nameplates.

47490 was the first loco to carry the Bristol Bath Road plates but it didn't then become 47805. '805 used to 47650 and prior to that was 47257. The name plates have certainly been well-travelled though.

Thanks ees1uk B)

And now a photo teaser to proove I haven't been skyving! :lol:

post-4688-0-17061800-1319995317.jpg

This is QPX ADB 975472 (The prototype for this is visable in #63 on Page 3) Although it's nowhere near perfect I'm quite happy with how this is coming along.

I'd never done such an involved conversion before. Now I've seen the ammount of work involved I'm not surprised these bad boys go for allot of money on eBay!

I'm also quite happy with the paint application. I gave it 4 coats of aerosol paint, but after the 3rd I found a can of the correct Railmatch yellow. :scratchhead: But as I didn't want to risk there being some sort of possible reaction between the paints, I just continued with stuff I was useing, even though it is slightly too lemoney, it'll just have to do....

I'm hoping that some subtle weathering may tone it down slightly. Fingers crossed!

Now all that's left is to paint the underframe; add the windows; add the strip lights, and finally the chevrons and numbers, ect.

One thing I think I'm going to have to modify are the roller doors. I made them from .25mm plasticard which must have been too thin as they've warped (probably also because I might not have glued them on perfectly straight), so I might replace them with some 2mm plasticard.

So we're getting there.... :sungum:

(I haven't photographed the other too coaches that go with this one as they're still in need of another coat of paint).

Edited by vac_basher
  • Like 1

Steve, you requested some Hydraulic power, so this one's for you!

As I've reccently bought some rather odd stock, I'd originally planned to save the Hydraulics for an "open day" scenario. However just this morning I had the idea of doing some retro photos.

I would have taken more but the batteries in my camera died. So I hope you enjoy them.

post-4688-0-06839800-1320332595.jpg

Class 50s next time, promise! :sungum:

Edited by vac_basher
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

My goodness, it's been a while since I last posted in this topic.

Anyway, here are a few photos I reccently took. The lighting wasn't satisfactory, hence the quality isn't great.

post-4688-0-27900200-1326377278.jpg

Here we see the now compleated breakdown train pictured on my other layout, Smugglers Lane, as Bath Road is too small to accomodate the compleat formation. All that needs doing to really finish the breakdown train off is the weathering....

post-4688-0-75426000-1326377376.jpg

Here's a close up of the wonderful decals manufactored by Preccession Lables.

post-4688-0-81593300-1326377414.jpg

post-4688-0-49608300-1326377428.jpg

It's winter in Bristol too!

post-4688-0-42523000-1326377452.jpg

This is something else I've been working on reccently. It's my take on a HST barrier coach, and it cost me significantly less than the ready to run available one.

post-4688-0-17164300-1326377614.jpg

Those seats do look rather comfy :D

Honestly, Class 50s next time!

• Like 3

The only time we ever visted this depot, we were summarily told to F off by the running foreman before we could even ask to go round....

Rudest man I've ever encountered in all my railway travels.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
where did that E Type Jag reg come from I wonder?

It came like that. I think they're by Oxford Diecast.

I really like the barrier vehicle, was it hard to do? I am guessing a Bachmann MK2 and just white letters for the HST Barrier Vehicle (what did you use?) and did you add anything else?

This was actually very easy Scott. On the Bachmann Mk2 BFK I used the Fox blanking patches to patch over the intercity branding and the previous numbers (studying photos of the prototype shows that this was what was actually done to the real thing!), then I applied the "HST Barrier Coach" transfers which I had custom made by Precission Lables. And to finish it off I gave it a good old weathering. I added a buckeye and pipes at one end.

In total I immagine it cost me about half of what the ready to run limited edition barrier coach was offered for sale at. Plus, from the research I have done I have come to the conclusion that the ready to run version has the "HST Barrier Coach" lettering in the incorrect place on one side (as I believe that the subject of this model did indead have it central on one side, but on the other side it was at the far end) and it also seems that the number "1"s on the doors were only on one side only - unless of course if it was repainted inbetween the photos I've seen of it, although it doesn't seem to look as if it was. Mystery!

But I was quite pleased with how it turned out.

I'll post some photos of it in action tomorrow in my Smugglers Lane topic.

Edited by vac_basher