RMweb

DEEPING LANE DEPOT

mason

Its a good idea but I agree it needs to be short and to the point. I did a two pager for DEMU which I pinned to the front of the layout but not many people actually read it. Most ask questions about the build personnally which I like as I get to natter. lol.

Lol me too, cant beat a good chin wag i might even try the first day operating it from the front just so i can chat alot laugh1.gif

Thanks phil, I think i would have to clear it with Andy Y but i think he would welcome free advertising laugh1.giflaugh1.gif

Neil

Hi after a mad weekend i got down to some relaxing modelling on the small photo board iv constructed.

Taking the advice of Cav and Richard from previous posts i decided to paint the exterior shed walls blue.

i firstly coated the whole structure in a light grey primer, once dry i used several washes of cheap water colour paints, if this looked to thick it is easy to wipe away with a kitchen towell.

i slowly built the coats up to give a washed out blue look, once the paint was dry i gently ran a brush of white tamiya powder from the top to the bottom of the box profile walls, this was followed with a light grey and a dark blue powder.

The lower wall was done in the same manor with washes of paint and then powders.

The track weathering was a pretty much trial and error effort laugh1.gif, i used a thickish paint brush dipped in water then dipped in the tamiya weathering powder this made a wet mushy past and seemed to really work well, doing the same with a bit of the black and the mud brown has created what i think a nicely weathered track and ballast.

there are a few little details i have added such as the cctv camera, the netting on the fence and the whells have been altered and weathered and hopefully look alot better than before, i have also added a few little bits of greenery in places. anyway here a few shots of the current ststus of the board.

post-6696-0-93622400-1310424204_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-02790600-1310424228_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-64845100-1310424249_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-41366900-1310424271_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-87712900-1310424291_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-37120200-1310424316_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-82450100-1310424341_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-72598300-1310424370_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-01032000-1310424392_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil

• Like 2

That looks really good mate. Blue is always a winner in the wrinkly tin stakes hence the building on Outon Road. I originally did that grey but changed it to blue. I like the way you have given it a worn look. Very effective.

Thanks mate, im really glad it worked ok, i wasnt sure about the blue at first but know iv done it im really happy with it, the worn look has turned out better than i thought, the camera has really picked it out, iv still got to sort the roof out yet, not sure what to do with it, i wish id made a bigger board now laugh1.giflaugh1.gif

and iv noticed i havent finished the top of the fence and i think i need a few more little details along the trackside.

The 08 looks fantatstic though mate, the camera has really picked the detail out of the fade and the weathering especially around the body grab rails

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Neil,

The weathered blue has come out well - enough weathering and staining without being OTT.

The 08 also looks great - not my colour scheme of course, well done nonetheless.

A few more bits and pieces would be good, but don't overdo them.

My only other observation would be that you need something inside the building to create a shadow and to hid the non-railway stuff behind. Perhaps the top of a roller door as well.

that new bits looking brilliant. nice weathering. i wasnt sure about the slabs at first, thought they stood out to much but i think they work now they are weathered in.:drinks:

as for wishin gthe board was bigger...... umm, who doesn't arrive at thinking that???:rolleyes:

Thanks Richard,

its hard to know when to stop when weathering i always find but im really happy with the finish.

I cant take credit for the 08, thats Cavs great handy work, id like to get a couple of blue bits though, maybe a 27 or a 26.

As for in the building, iv had a few thoughts on that, i might try and put a small photograhic picture on the inside to the right to add depth to it, possibly showing a loco on jacks or something, and iv already got a few plans going for a door, i may even make the door operational, somehow, so i can have a variation in photo shots.

Im not sure what other details to put out side yet, like you say its a fine line between just enough and to much, i have been thinking of how to make buckets though, think a few littered around might look good.

Thanks Elagage

I wasnt sure about the slabs either but yes they do blend in now the weathering is on thanks. I keep going over in my head how can i make this bigger and should i carry the building on, but then im getting into the realms of building another layout and still have bits to finish on Deeping Lane and i intend to keep that as my main layout, well for now anyway laugh1.giflaugh1.gif

Cheeers

Neil

Thanks Guy, i think iv surprised myself with the building, and i wanted to try new ideas and techiiques which have worked out well.

The idea of its own thread did cross my mind at the start but it was only going to be a quick thing to show the locos of the main layout, never thought it would turn out this good laugh1.gif

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil,

Nice looking layout. Cav has done a lovely job on some of your stock.

I've been looking at some nice layout pics lately and they have inspired me to get up into the attic and crack on with mine. I left it at the adding the buildings stage. It's only a small steelworks based layout and yet it's been ongoing for nearly three years! :rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers

Thanks wayne and im glad iv inspired you slightly to go get modelling and i will certainly check out your layout.

Cav has certainly done some fine work on my stock, much better than i ever could do, i do owe him and he has been an inspiration with Outon Road, as well as mudmagnet too who has been a great source of knowledge and help and inspiration too.

Thanks

Neil

Thanks chris and alex for the great comments, i think the rate of progress has been helped by not being at work, and its a very small board, i just cant help myself and have to crack on laugh1.gif

Chris get yourself over and get some stock on it and ill get some pics taken

Hi alex i need to get some choppers on there and take some shots, i wish it was half the size of boxenby laugh1.gif that would be fantastic.

im going to have a go at the interior of the doors and the roof today, once iv found the cables for the printer that is blink.gif

Im also going to hard wire my EWS 08 to get that put to work on Deeping Lane, iv not really done much on there the past few weeks and i want to make a diagram board for the points and a small shelf for the dynamis receiver to sit on as it loses signal sometimes towards the other side of the layout.

i also nedd to get all my wagons out and see what needs doing and work out what coupling strategy to take, i think im going to put the metal loops on all the locos as per mudmagnets on Orchard Road, but then do i leave the other stock as standard or fit some kind of better looking hook system or just go screwlinks ( i can hear Cav shouting screwlink, screwlink ) so a little thinking to do

Cheers

Neil

Screwlink Screwlink haha.

If i can use screw links on Outon with all the overhead wires then you can!

I have to echo the progress side though. Im finding it a nightmare to find time at the mo. Managed to get some interior modelling done last night on my gatehouse though. I aim to get it completely done tonight so I can move on to the board tomorrow.

Cav

try open hip surgery mate, you will find plenty of time after that, think iv still got another 4 weeks off, wonder what else i could build??? laugh1.gif

i need to order a few packs of screw links then and give them ago

neil

hi all

i have hardwired the EWS 08 today, this is a big thing for me because im pretty new to DCC and the thought of stripping things out of my beloved 08 was pretty daunting.

but using the how to guide on Bromsgrove Models website, a very easy guide to follow , it must be because i followed it and it worked first time yahoo.gif

The only part of the guide i didnt use is the adding of extra pickups, this will be done at a later date but for now she is running nice and smooth on the layout.

Here are a few shots of the 08 back at work on Deeping Lane

The first shot is the best, i think its the best photo i have ever taken of any model, i think im getting the hang of the camera setup and tripod yes.gif

post-6696-0-50364400-1310563489_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-45341900-1310563498_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-84782100-1310563507_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil

• Like 1

Great photos Neil.

.... using the how to guide on Bromsgrove Models website,....

Could you post a link to this guide please? I have been on the Bromsgrove Models website but can't find it. I am interested in the extra pickups.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave, i havent posted a link as i wasnt sure if i was allowed to or not, so i can try and direct you, as you go onto bromsgroves home page, near the top on the right hand side you will see some sub headings, one these is named " 00 Gauge RTR DCC decoder installation guides " once clicked on this page you will be given a list of manufacturers and the locos, slect the guide for the 08 and that will take you to were i went, sorry i couldnt put the link up, hope this helps.

Neil

Hi all

I have finally started weathering my stock, the first wagon to get a going over was the Dutch OCA i brought at Members day, my process was basic using tamiya powders, i wet a small brush which is then dipped into the powders, this was then lightly painted onto the sides, then with a soft brush powders were brushed over the damp area, once dry i used cotton buds to remove the now dry powder, this was done several times to build the grime up, adding certain colours to certain areas that would be oily.

this is my first major attempt at weathering properly and i think it has turned out pretty good, im sure there are certain areas that could be improved or removed so im open to comments

please be gentle laugh.gif

post-6696-0-16389600-1310592949_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-62573500-1310592957_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-61548000-1310592965_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-12441800-1310592973_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-52987500-1310592980_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-45980100-1310592988_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Could you post a link to this guide please? I have been on the Bromsgrove Models website but can't find it. I am interested in the extra pickups.

Thanks

Dave

Dave have a look at page 6 post 143 on my thread to see how I did it last year as well, it didn't take long and makes a huge improvement.

Sorry for the hijack Neil. Nice weathering by the way.

Hi Richard

Thank for the kind comment, that was what i planned, i didnt want to put the varnish on yet until i was sure i was happy with it and that i hadnt over or under done it. but the more i look at it the more happy i am and i think varnish will go on this weekend.

Neil