Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

DEEPING LANE DEPOT

mason

Not a problem, I will get the camera out tomorrow and see what I can do for you, I may even have some already which I will hunt out for you.

Thankyou very much for going to the trouble :) My layout is quite similar to this - with the trains arriving on scene from the fiddle yard under a bridge. However, my trackplan is quite different.

The 60 and 08 look great. Is that the old Hornby 60? Mainline's livery is one of my all time favourites - I've got the ancient Lima Class 37 in that livery :) I'm thinking of weathering it soon, for use on my layout. Do you use powders and dry-brushing for your weathering or the air-brush?

Hi there Almere, the 60 is a newer Hornby dcc one it runs very smoothly and has a little added detail in the cabs, hi vis etc.

As for weathering I have played around with different techniques, the 60 was done using an airbrush with a mix of rail match frame dirt and roof dirt n I basically give it a light cost across areas that would build up grime etc I then take it back off using white spirit working from prototype pictures to see we're the dirt is, then I shade it out with powders.

But iv changed my technique again as you will see in the last few pages in my thread on the 37s using powders only mainly carrs powders building up the colours again using pictures as reference, I would love to see your results and will check out your project too.

Thanks for the kind comments

Cheers

Wow! the weathering job on that 60 is cracking, its about time i weathered mine and hopefully to that standard

Thanks for the comment Rob, have you weathered any other locos as I would love to see them, thanks for the comments

Cheers

BRILLIANT mate, that 60 looks real tasty and the 08 looks worn out. great stuff buddy.

Cheers mate I do like the 08 very much but I do have a few now ha ha so ones gotta go to make way for more pressing items I'm afraid

Hi there Almere, the 60 is a newer Hornby dcc one it runs very smoothly and has a little added detail in the cabs, hi vis etc.

As for weathering I have played around with different techniques, the 60 was done using an airbrush with a mix of rail match frame dirt and roof dirt n I basically give it a light cost across areas that would build up grime etc I then take it back off using white spirit working from prototype pictures to see we're the dirt is, then I shade it out with powders.

But iv changed my technique again as you will see in the last few pages in my thread on the 37s using powders only mainly carrs powders building up the colours again using pictures as reference, I would love to see your results and will check out your project too.

Thanks for the kind comments

Cheers

I see, thanks for the info. I haven't heard of the white spirit method before, I'll be trying that out.

As for my own project, I haven't even started laying the track yet.

Thanks again,

Andy.

No no no leave the cake it on wipe of with white spirit method alone. Its not how real trains weather!!! Mason has seen the light dont make me have to convince you too!! haha.

Cav

Thanks Andy, it's worth being carful with the process it can be very easy to over do it, I would check out Sandhills thread as he has mastered this kind of technique to a tee, and has a useful how to on his thread, I try and use the air brush really just for the frame n bogies now but as I say iv reverted to using powders only on virtually everthing with the results you see on the 37s.

It's worth trying also rats of different techniques as you might find a combination of some work well and some don't, I hope that helps a little more, I am pretty much a novice at this still.

Cheers

• Like 1

No no no leave the cake it on wipe of with white spirit method alone. Its not how real trains weather!!! Mason has seen the light dont make me have to convince you too!! haha.

Cav

Ha ha cheers mate, I actually went back in 2 of my grey 37s and re did them again using powders.

I know mate and they look much much better. The new 37 especially

Cav

Cav

Cav

Iv just realised today is a bit of an anniversary, it's a year today since I started the project, that's pretty good for me as uv usually got rid or broken up all my other projects by now, so a but if s mile stone but a very enjoyable one, thank you to everyone who has commented, given advice and helped out with making deeping lane what it is today.

Cheers

• Like 2

Iv just realised today is a bit of an anniversary, it's a year today since I started the project, that's pretty good for me as uv usually got rid or broken up all my other projects by now, so a but if s mile stone but a very enjoyable one, thank you to everyone who has commented, given advice and helped out with making deeping lane what it is today.

Cheers

Congratulations mate, on turning 1 years old (the layout that is).

Thanks for the comment Rob, have you weathered any other locos as I would love to see them, thanks for the comments

Cheers

not yet, me and my dad originally were n gauge runners, but have just made a start in OO and have 5 locomotives now, but not yet made an attemp at weathering any of them, wouldn't know where to start haha. Any tips?

cheers

Hi Andy I basically drew it out to scale on a bit of paper, folded it up and soaked it in PVa glue and folded it and screwed it up a little then draped it over the side of the brake van very easy to do with very effective results

• Like 1

Hi Andy I basically drew it out to scale on a bit of paper, folded it up and soaked it in PVa glue and folded it and screwed it up a little then draped it over the side of the brake van very easy to do with very effective results

Ok, thanks, I might try it :) I does look very effective.

Deeping lane depot will be next appearing at the deeping st James model railway show at st johns church deeping st James lincs,

This is a lovely little show which is within a stones throw from my house and partially organised by the market deeping model club, it's a Two day show do if your in the area please pop in and say hello.

A couple of jobs to do on the layout is to improve the fiddle yard which my dad pointed out on the last time out and do some more static grasses after cav's scenic lesson at Mansfield which really made a huge differance.

Will post a few pics to when I get the layout out and up.

Cheers

• Like 1