Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

Champion was subjected to a livery experiment with an extended warning panel which ran back towards the cab forming a T shape. However I don't think it ran in service like this, the panels having been amended to normal style before it entered traffic. It didn't ever run without warning panels.

Geoff Endacott

Well put Geoff.... there were also a few other subtle differences between it's experimantal livery and the one it wore when it actually left the works a few days later - in the famous January 1963 'snow' pictures outside Swindon Works the window pillars are white, but these were repainted Golden Ochre before it entered service four days later. The 'T' shaped yellow warning panel was at 'A' end only and the half yellow warning panel at the 'B' end was subtly different to all the other Westerns as it had smaller radiused corners (almost square looking from a distance) and the bottom of the yellow area sat a few inches above the bufferbeam lip, whereas all other Westerns had their half yellow panels butting up to this lip. The experimental livery was applied to D1015 on 21st January and when it entered traffic on the 25th the 'T' panel had been painted out and a small warning panel matching the one the 'B' end had replaced it. In January 1965 D1015 had it's Golden Ochre livery spruced up a bit to work the returning empties of Winston Churchill's funeral train. At the end of the Summer timetable that year it was called to Swindon and emerged again on 8th November in sandard maroon / small yellow panels livery, the yellow panels both now being the same as all other Westerns.

• Like 1

Sorry 2nd best looking to a deltic no way,should have gone to spec-savers the western is the best looking loco ever built,yes the deltic had the best sound and shear power look but the western was a beautiful design.No doesn,t get his coat.

Richard.

The Westerns have the very best sound of all UK diesels ever that is why its called 'Maybach Music'.  Deltics sound great but it is just a drone. Sorry.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

True!

Just go to

or any wizzo vid come to that!

Hadnt realised 1015 was still in Golden Ochre when involved in Churchill's funeral train! Given that P Way were unable to lay in the required extra crossover at Handborough for the move to the up platform  34051 had to take the empty stock on to Worcester once the dignitaries and the great man had disembarked - so 1015 had to work the stock back from Worcester. Sounds like I'd better get my order in! :locomotive:

Phil

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Lovely video Phil.

The first 40 seconds or so reminds me of lying in bed in the mid 1970s listening to Westerns on stone trains in the middle of the night.

We lived about a mile from the Winterbourne embankments North of Bristol, and that distinctive Maybach growl was unmistakable. Must try and sound chip one of my fleet.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

True!

Just go to

Hadnt realised 1015 was still in Golden Ochre when involved in Churchill's funeral train! Given that P Way were unable to lay in the required extra crossover at Handborough for the move to the up platform  34051 had to take the empty stock on to Worcester once the dignitaries and the great man had disembarked - so 1015 had to work the stock back from Worcester. Sounds like I'd better get my order in! :locomotive:

Phil

Just listen to those Maybachs sing :imsohappy:  :imsohappy:  :imsohappy:

• Like 1

True!

Just go to

Phil

I see they've turned the cab lights off?!

Hello all,

Isn't there a preserved Western in golden ochre livery with the T-shaped warning panel at one end that's worked the main line in this guise?

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben, D1015 was wearing it's experimental version of Golden Ochre with the T-bar at one end when it first went mainline back in 2002, it worked several tours in this livery before being painted maroon....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/3523141006/in/set-72157618776618664

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/3521997847/in/set-72157618776618664/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/3522369089/in/set-72157618776618664/

Edited by Rugd1022

Sorry 2nd best looking to a deltic no way,should have gone to spec-savers the western is the best looking loco ever built,yes the deltic had the best sound and shear power look but the western was a beautiful design.No doesn,t get his coat.

Richard.

We'll have to agree to disagree. :wink_mini:

Who ordered the maroon with SYP D1062 model from WLA? I have to say I really do like mine and so far none of the issues I saw with the second blue one I bought earlier in the year. Although, having said that, I've only tested on a Rolling Rails rolling road so far, not on track (no layout yet). 

And what about the Cheltenham Model Centre exclusive D1015 in Golden Ochre? Who's going to get one of those? It's seriously tempting!

No it is not it's a irritable drone.

Boooooo !

If it irritates... move away and make space for those of us that love it ;)

But more seriously guys, this thread's about the Western Model and not about which loco is better... that will never be settled; they were both good at doing what they were designed to do... and much water has passed under the bridge since the fleets ceased to do that. We're lucky to have members of each class around for the current generation to enjoy.. and for us oldies to savour and bolster our nostalgia. The point here is to discuss the model. We have only one real contender in 4mm for the Deltic Production class and that's now in need of update and woudl probably stand up to comparison with the Heljan Western rather that the Dapol... so let's enjoy the Western (if you managed to get one) and leave it at that.

Jon

Edited by Jon020
  • Like 2

Boooooo !

If it irritates... move away and make space for those of us that love it ;)

But more seriously guys, this thread's about the Western Model and not about which loco is better... that will never be settled; they were both good at doing what they were designed to do... and much water has passed under the bridge since the fleets ceased to do that. We're lucky to have members of each class around for the current generation to enjoy.. and for us oldies to savour and bolster our nostalgia. The point here is to discuss the model. We have only one real contender in 4mm for the Deltic Production class and that's now in need of update and woudl probably stand up to comparison with the Heljan Western rather that the Dapol... so let's enjoy the Western (if you managed to get one) and leave it at that.

Jon

Well said Jon! Despite slightly favouring Deltics I dig the Westerns. I'm slightly too young to remember seeing them in their BR days, although I almost certainly did as a very young boy when on holidays in Devon and Somerset in the early 1970s.