Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

post-14520-0-14005400-1329068534_thumb.jpgHello Dave,

here is a shot of her Ladyship taken today, as a reference point , re. my last post.

The windows slope from the centre point following the slope of the ledge, the ledge seems to have

a very, very, slightly steeper angle than the window frame( only about 1 or 2 degrees )but leaving a greater gap between the ledge and the aluminium window frame where it curves at the far right point compared with where it starts at the centre. If that make sense ! What do you think ?

Best regards,

Mike.

My cadds model actually has the same feature, but it is so subtle, that in 4mm scale it is barely perceptable, so I don't have any real issue with the front as Dapol have got it.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

• RMweb Premium
What do you think ?

Placing a ruler against that image it is not the ledge which has a subtly different angle but rather the windscreen itself has a slight curve towards the outer (right-hand) corner. The actual curve is very subtle and occurs about â…” of the way along from left to right rather than being a constant sweep but shows itself when a straight edge is offered up.

I don't think that is a camera effect as the ledge itself shows perfectly straight.

Looking great I can't wait to see the result.

I seem to remember from my days chasing the Westerns that one feature was the purple tone to the cab windows. The effect can be seen on tromans photo posted above. I suppose this has already been mentioned on this thread and would really be up to the purchaser to apply?

• Like 1

Looking great I can't wait to see the result.

I seem to remember from my days chasing the Westerns that one feature was the purple tone to the cab windows. The effect can be seen on tromans photo posted above. I suppose this has already been mentioned on this thread and would really be up to the purchaser to apply?

It's the conductive film for the demister setup. It's prominent on 47's and Deltics too but I'm not sure how it would look in 4mm.

• RMweb Premium
do i authorise cutting metal?

As far as I'm concerned that's a YES.

Subtle upward curve of cab front window (i cant see it but am told it's there)

It's there. Taking a ruler to the head-on view (sixth from top) it's barely discernible due to the scale but it is there. Just as on the 1:1 image above where I flagged it it's something that is so subtle the naked eye might not pick it yet knows something isn't quite right if the edge were straight.

• RMweb Gold

I have no doubt that someone, somewhere will find something else that's half a millimetere out, but to me it looks absolutely spot-on. Could this become the best r-t-r diesel yet produced?

Note to self: must start saving for at least three of these.

I find the responsiveness of DapolDave to the comments made on here very encouraging. Is Dapol unique in this approach? It's certainly very laudable.

I have no comments on the loco visually but I do wonder if consideration has been given to the ease of conversion to P4. This could be a deal-breaker for me. I'm normally a steam-era modeller but could easily be tempted by what promises to be an excellent model of a WR hydraulic - if it does bring with it too much conversion effort.

Cheers

Rod

• Like 2

Having spent untold hours detailing Lima Westerns 35 years ago I'd be proud to own this. The only question is ...... how many!!

I have pre-ordered D1000 already and I have started flogging childhood collectables on eBay. How well they sell will determine how many more I get. :D

"Ooh - that looks really nice!" :sungum: :sungum:

Now surely you'll be doing D1074 western Excellence; D1075 Western Beauty;

and the two with spelling errors on the nameplates:

D1061 Western ENVY (sic) :no:

D1066 Western Perfect! :angel:

Before I lay some 3rd rail, where can I offload some Bachmann BR(SR) emus? :scratchhead:

Dave, and Dapol in general - I endorse the thanks you are gettingfor your openness, open ears and patient persistance from others. Yes, Dapol does do it differently from at least one other British model company!

Richard

• RMweb Gold

I'm getting picky now - the CADS look superb Dave well done fantastic job.

The RH lamp iron is slightly longer by virtue of having an additional strip at right angles, all 52s have this.

Also is it possible to make the headboard clips detachable, perhaps as a separate detail part?I've removed them on several of my models (D1026 and D1029 were two of my chosen models which lacked them altogether). None of my comments are critical, just for those of us that want a sizeable fleet of these (to be no doubt) fantastic models. I would suggest you give the manufacturer the green light. Can't wait.

Neil

I just hope when the Westerns arrive, and are to the specs which have been discussed at length (and in a mature, sensible and wonderfully informative manner), that people who would otherwise vote for others in the "manufacturer of the year" award will remember this thread and DapolDave's efforts.

I'm not a Western man, but I've learned a lot about the subtleties of the Western design through reading this thread. It's such a positive, heartwarming thread in terms of manufacturer to customer relations, that it should be rightly praised and remembered when the seeds sown have grown into mighty...um, Westerns.

• Like 17

Hi everyone,

The time is nigh.

Look what's come in the mail today for your delectation :locomotive:

Now, changes since we last spoke, are as follows;

1) Change to the cab front handrail profile.

2) Subtle upward curve of cab front window (i cant see it but am told it's there)

3) Alternate battery box clips

4) Fixed and alternate front Valances

5) Alternate brake shoes for those with tighter radius curves

6) Body lowered on chassis by 0.5mm

I have attached pics form the cad/cam and would like a concensus of opinion to this question...........................do i authorise cutting metal?

i am in the UK until Saturday but ideally would like thoughts and general approval very soon as every day counts now.

Enjoy

Dave

Looking good now.

The only things missing that I can see are the two hoses that are looped outside the leading axle from the front of the bolster to the underside of the cab at the right hand end of each side and the cable that runs to the inner axle from the rear of the bolster on the bogie without the speedo cables. This is only on the side of the loco with the rectangular panel on the bodyside under the right hand grills.

The depth of the tread holes under the cab door and at the front of the front valence seem a little on the small side.

The distance between the top slat and the upper edge of the bodyside cutout for the main grills should be larger then the spacing between the slats and is quite a characteristic feature of the prototype.

Maybe sand pipes at the front and rear of each bogie, but then we have to have something left to be able to add detail for!

This is looking to be the best RTR hydraulic ever produced!

Regards

Mark Humphrys

• Like 5

Hi everyone,

The time is nigh.

Look what's come in the mail today for your delectation :locomotive:

Now, changes since we last spoke, are as follows;

1) Change to the cab front handrail profile.

2) Subtle upward curve of cab front window (i cant see it but am told it's there)

3) Alternate battery box clips

4) Fixed and alternate front Valances

5) Alternate brake shoes for those with tighter radius curves

6) Body lowered on chassis by 0.5mm

I have attached pics form the cad/cam and would like a concensus of opinion to this question...........................do i authorise cutting metal?

i am in the UK until Saturday but ideally would like thoughts and general approval very soon as every day counts now.

Enjoy

Dave

Hello, Dave.

May I refer you to my post no. 320?

I think the clips would be a significant problem to reproduce (for me at any rate), yet I feel that they are really noticeable. These were, of course fitted to over half the class, unfortunately (all from D1030, inc.).

And as we were getting exercised about tiddly battery-box catches, you may also like to consider making provision in the tooling for the appalling excrescences that appeared on some cab fronts in later years to provide cab ventilation. Just a thought.

Cheers,

BR(W).

I'm getting picky now - the CADS look superb Dave well done fantastic job.

The RH lamp iron is slightly longer by virtue of having an additional strip at right angles, all 52s have this.

Also is it possible to make the headboard clips detachable, perhaps as a separate detail part?I've removed them on several of my models (D1026 and D1029 were two of my chosen models which lacked them altogether). None of my comments are critical, just for those of us that want a sizeable fleet of these (to be no doubt) fantastic models. I would suggest you give the manufacturer the green light. Can't wait.

Neil

Only from the early 70s, this was a modification and not an original feature. I don't think any pre-blue Westerns had this and most if not all carried blue before the mod.

Looking good to me, thanks for your approach to this one Dave, I'm sure it will pay dividends in sales.

I think we're certainly getting into the territory of very fine detail which shouldn't rationally deter any conventional buyer.

I'd certainly say it's 'press the button' time before the Chinese change something they shouldn't. :)

• Like 13

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback, and due to this i have asked China to look at Mark's (the 'guru' in my eye's) comments plus a couple of others from you here, and see what we can do.

Sand pipes should be a must, but do you want them factory fitted or fit your own?

If i leave off the crew cab side card holder is it going to Peeeee you off, and if so why? I suppose if its fitted it can be filed off, but at the damage to the paintwork.

Something i have decided on is the nameplates and number plates will be separate, but we will print a small outline rectangle exactly where each plate should go so that you can fit your own choice if needs be, but get the positioning correct. I intend to make the outline 80% of the shawplan number plates (who will be supplying them), and about 80% the size of the word 'Western' (this rectangle placed right in the middle of the 2 words for safety) so that we should all manage to get the correct height and main position. (famous last words)

The only 52 to come with factory fitted plates will be Enterprise for Steam (correct at the time of typing this) using shawplans superb new etches.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

I think we're certainly getting into the territory of very fine detail which shouldn't rationally deter any conventional buyer.

I'd certainly say it's 'press the button' time before the Chinese change something they shouldn't. :)

I'd have to agree, this is looking very promising. They are my favourite diesels - I gave up spotting when they were eventualy withdrawn - so will probably treat myself to a 4mm one as well as a couple which will end up 2FS.

I would, however, still be interested in some thoughts on the shade of BR blue used.

Jerry

Having spent untold hours detailing Lima Westerns 35 years ago I'd be proud to own this. The only question is ...... how many!!

Loads! :sungum:

Will there be any crew on board? not something I'd normally worry about, but with the Western having such large windscreens it is noticable if there is no driver.

Edited by campaigner